Gympie and surrounds information + questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is all i really did find. Which i could only get to on the hard land. The smaller 3 rocks all gave off a reading of about 70+. Non magnetic. Are they just hot rocks? I scratched them to reveal a silver inside. Defibitely not lead.

And the larger darker stone is not metal. Didnt give off a signal. It came out of a hole i wqs digging mary river. It stood out smooth shiny looked like tigers eye

1412895977_cam01971.jpg

Be aware there is plenty of mercury in the Gympie area left by old timers.
The silver colour you see maybe mercury amalgamated onto or with the gold.
You need to get somebody who knows what they are doing to test them for you and remove the mercury.
I found most of any specks in the deep creek fossicking area had mercury on them making them appear silver, I also managed to pan some mercury droplets from the gravels some years ago.
Be careful as this stuff is dangerous if mishandled.
I hope this helps.

Wow ok. Cant belive your still panning mercury droplets. Thats crazy. Must be bad for the health of the river. I also came across huge black muscles. Are they edible or full of toxins and polution? Im curious to see if theae rocks have gold in them now as the area i got them from had heaps more i just didnt have a pick to get down deep enough as they were found on land. Bottom of a hill

don't throw that mercury away, it would be full of gold dust(surly).

regarding the muscles i wouldnt be eating them, being a filter feeder they tend to retain heavy metals in them if exposed to them enough, with mercury potentially in the river i would give them a miss, but i am not a doctor nor am i a fishmonger so i may be wrong lol

Freshwater muscles even from a clean river will make most people sick, stick with the saltwater variety.

hi there if the old timers were using mercury to recover gold then nuggets were not about, mercury was used to pick up gold too small to handle

For your information Ronk, there were some nuggets found earlier and I remember a specimen weighing 2 kg being found in the 80's with a detector (mostly gold). Read up on your history.
Hector Halthouse? book titled "Gympie Gold" is an excellent read and trove of information. Treasureman don,t believe everything you are told on these forums (with all due respect). Best to do your own research.
I agree about the muscles Magilla.

make sure you have the paperwork before you bring them home Treasureman,...anyone else would probably dolly them up and pan the results just to be sure,...if you do that you will know one way or the other if they contain anything worthwhile or are just hot rocks,....remember that we also learn from the things that do not work just as much as we do from the things that do work.
treasureman said:
Glad i didnt eat tge muscles.

Silver.. you really think these rocks may be nuggets ??

paperwork = fossiking permit
dolly them up = crush them to powdery like rock/very small pieces .
treasureman said:
What do you mean dolly them up and paperwork ?

Ok mate will do. Well i found these rocks on private property with permission from the owner. Do i still need papers? And once i crush them up what am i looking for??

I could only dolly up one of the rocks. Split into two then couldnt break anymore. The otger two rocks are tough. Didnt break with several whacks of the hammer. The one that did break has ailver shiny sparkling stuff inside. Is this silver, silver?
1413070374_cam01992.jpg

yep, still need papers.
you would be looking for traces of gold ,would you not ?,....have you got a pan treasureman?
treasureman said:
Ok mate will do. Well i found these rocks on private property with permission from the owner. Do i still need papers? And once i crush them up what am i looking for??

hi all going to gympie and was thinking of metal detecting the prospecting area is it worth a go or some where better

There are not many areas around Gympie to go unless you can get permission from property owners. There is a bit of rubbish there, found some interesting old stuff about twenty years ago. A lot of tailing were stored along Deep Creek fossicking area in the early days. I found fine gold in the rusty band in the creek when panning also some mercury which held gold.
There have been some fair results posted lately.

Latest posts