Gympie and surrounds information + questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nailfinder said:
Bought a GPX 5000 , first trip to Tibooburra nearly turned it into a 3 iron until a very kind man named Charlie showed me how to set it up , were to detect and what to listen for, I couldn't, thank him enough. showed my young fella the same stuff and he was away. Couldn't,t stop him still going after dark with his IPhone light and finding bits.

sounds like a name change is in order now.....maybe goldfinder :lol:

good to hear your son is having fun on the gold too
thanks for sharing
regards trashy

Hi All,
For the guys that live around the to the north of Brisbane, I have this week off work and I am thinking of going up the Kilkivan and going out to the Propect Mine for a look and maybe a bit of fun doing some panning..I also have just bought my first detector..A Eureka that I am keen to try out and get some experience with.
If anyone is keen to meet me up in Kilkivan that would be great.

It will have to be Tuesday or Thursday for the trip, just send me a PM and we can work out a time etc. :)

Hey Fox, ahhh what a shame I only just read your post (On the Friday). I wouldn't mind coming up to Kilkivan with you some time,
I have never been to the Prophet Mine (haven't heard great things about it) - but there are a lot of other areas I wouldn't mind trying
up that way.

I go up occasionally to detect.

Luke.

i will be doing gympie at xmas while i am up they at childers i hope its good

Small world Aye, I'm from Nambour, Back in the 90s I heard of some bloke who was down on his luck in a big way suddenly found some gold while he was walking by the creek not in a good frame of mind and he looked down and found some nuggets and within no time he was finding 200k a month,

So don't give up coz theres lots there, Good Luck.

G'day to all, I've been digging for alluvial at the seven mile at Nanango, been finding a few specks here and there. I haven't been to Kilkivan in 12 months. I've found it near impossible to get onto any properties but you's may have better luck. I've heard of people detecting on the sides of the road, what they have found I wouldn't know. The Prophet is ok if you want to pan a few speck, it's a hit and miss affair, some days gold some days nothing more days of nothing, you's may have better luck then me. Just down the road from the Prophet is the Kilkivan bush park, a great place to camp. Good luck.
:) Mick

gooday nailfinda' I am at Coolum beach for about another 6 weeks and want to have a go around gympie if I can work out when I will give you a yell and try to catch up. I use a 4500 but are more familiar with vic gold triangle conditions.

elemental09 said:
Hey Fox, ahhh what a shame I only just read your post (On the Friday). I wouldn't mind coming up to Kilkivan with you some time,
I have never been to the Prophet Mine (haven't heard great things about it) - but there are a lot of other areas I wouldn't mind trying
up that way.

I go up occasionally to detect.

Luke.
What are you doing next week mate? I may go up and have a look..let me know maybe we can team up?
David

markgoldhunter said:
gooday nailfinda' I am at Coolum beach for about another 6 weeks and want to have a go around gympie if I can work out when I will give you a yell and try to catch up. I use a 4500 but are more familiar with vic gold triangle conditions.

You should go north of Gympie and turn left and head out to towards Kilkivan, Theres A few possible spots out that way, I checked em out a few years ago, About 20 minates on that road after the high bank at the side of the road stop, Directly On ya right hand side theres a track up to some properties you should take a look up there and also down on the flats either side of the last cut in,

I got a few other places in mind too but they are in the opposite direction.

cheers thanks for that I will give them a go. I made a quick trip up to the music festival site for a swing with the exterra but I think I was beaten to it. only $2.15. still nice spot.

Finding detecting country around Kilkivan has been a challenge. I think I will save my arm and head back to Tibooburra next winter for a couple of weeks . Always get some gold and the town / district is just the best .

Heard Durakai was added to the list of fossicking areas about a year ago, but hasn't Talgai been in the list for some time?

Hi everyone

Im wondering if the mary river is at all worth trying to find gold with a detector? I was there yestetday on a friends property. The ground was too tough. Needed to have a pick with me but i was getting readibg 10 inches down. But couldnt get to. Sfter giving upvthere i went to mary river. But wasnt central gympie a bit further out. Is there a radius which is best to stay within or could gold be any alobg the mary river?

This is all i really did find. Which i could only get to on the hard land. The smaller 3 rocks all gave off a reading of about 70+. Non magnetic. Are they just hot rocks? I scratched them to reveal a silver inside. Defibitely not lead.

Latest posts