Gumtree Scams- **Beware**

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately he will probably get off with a slap on the wrist, unless he has scammed the judge as well. Public flogging followed by a holiday on an ants nest would be a good start for low life's that rip people off. Jail is no deterrent, it is just a holiday camp for them.

Magilla said:
Unfortunately he will probably get off with a slap on the wrist, unless he has scammed the judge as well. Public flogging followed by a holiday on an ants nest would be a good start for low life's that rip people off. Jail is no deterrent, it is just a holiday camp for them.

Sad but true Magilla!!
We can only hope this arsehole HAS scammed the judge and gets a proper punishment for all the other people he has ripped off!
Grrr I dislike thieving pricks!!!!
Apologies for the language, but, did I mention that I don't like thieves!!!!
Hope you get your money back Treasureman or at the very least some satisfaction that this grub won't be stealing from anyone else for a while.
All the best with it mate.

Cheers,
Billy. :mad:

I'm looking at this thinking to myself, "he should have known better".
But I'm also thinking, "I know when you see a good deal it can blur rational and clear judgement".

I'm just glad "these sorts" don't know me or my address or other info, my kindness is an easy target for the crooked types to take advantage of.

Sorry to hear, mate... :(

treasureman said:
Hi guys
yes i got done over 725$ hard earned dollars. A big lesson ive learned here. use paypal over bank transfer as my bank has stated there is not much they can do as if they cant do anything about it. It was an australian account. aussie guy. very believable on the phone. Just wish i had asked more questions. The sunray pinpointer for example. first time this has happened to me. And the last. Ill do my best and go as far to get this guy caught for blatantly ripping me off. Ive sold things on gumtree for example like a camera and been genuine and posted the customer the item. Honest easy transaction. However there are people that take from others and have no faith in positivity and doing good honest things for your fellow customer. They certainly knew the etrac was a good buy for 900 negotioable.

Im assuming he used a fake name.
however the bank account bsb and acc would be some leed.
Power of the internet just may get this bastard.
As far as i know your bank can definatly refund and chase culprit,im very surprised they responded that way to your complaint, as for paypal protection, its nearly non existant, they try lots of ways to wriggle out of their guarantee.

nicko61 said:
as for paypal protection, its nearly non existant, they try lots of ways to wriggle out of their guarantee.

Not just "nearly", it's 100% non-existent. Paypal don't offer protection for either buyers or sellers on Gumtree transactions, so there is no guarantee for them to "wriggle out of":
1436272706_gumtree_buyer_protection.jpg

1436272706_gumtree_seller_protection.jpg

Yeah it's like any insurance company. Unless you pay big bucks for cover with minimal fine print you're best off doing your darndest to avoid a situation where a dispute may take place. Often a lot of time and stress to process a claim. Can't go wrong with the feedback system. Pay on pick up is the way to go when purchasing on Gumtree.

I hate paying with paypal for this kind of reason. I also got an email not long ago from ebay saying that ebay and paypal would soon be separate entities. Not sure if they are selling it or just splitting it from ebay, but there goes any sort of feeling of protection from buying from ebay to. I'd rather use my visa debit card. Put the money in the account, pay for said online purchase and then there's no more money in the account for anybody to scam, and the bank gives protection against fraud.

Chewy said:
I hate paying with paypal for this kind of reason. I also got an email not long ago from ebay saying that ebay and paypal would soon be separate entities. Not sure if they are selling it or just splitting it from ebay, but there goes any sort of feeling of protection from buying from ebay to. I'd rather use my visa debit card. Put the money in the account, pay for said online purchase and then there's no more money in the account for anybody to scam, and the bank gives protection against fraud.

In my experience, eBay + Paypal gives solid protection for buyers. I've had no problems getting good results from them with the claims I've made and on one occasion, Paypal detected fraud before I was even aware of it and refunded without me even needing to request it.

Ebay are now also offering a Money Back Guarantee - "Get the item you ordered or get your money back" - independent of Paypal and I'd expect this to be as good or better. Their business model is under seige from Amazon, Alibaba and others and the last thing they want is unhappy buyers.

That sounds like a good outcome for you. It's good to hear a positive story. It's interesting to see the relationship between ebay, paypal and gumtree, and see such great differences in how they're run, policies etc. Got an obd2 scan tool yesterday. I bought it direct from the company. Same product on ebay would've cost me $50 and come frome China. I happily paid $145 to get it direct from the company in Melbourne. I guess its like the Chinese Minelabs. Even when you see a 5k for sale they could use stock pics from the net of a real one and send the Chinese clone once they have the money. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to scam me. Lol :)

Heres an out there scenario ...
Ive advertised a metal lathe on gumtree earlier this week.
Have been in communication with a bloke in China (of all places).. hes just bought it , sight unseen,
Im just waiting for the funds to clear in my bank account
Once ive got the cash, ill give him the address and hes gonna arrange for shipping company to pick it up

And just remember when buying and they give a BSB and Account number...

Do A google search.

If it comes up as Pre Paid - Yes a pre Paid card - Then trying to track it is a lost cause...

Not to say you can not use them to buy something; but if a seller is getting you to pay to it... I would be having second thought.

Yep, i almost got done with one similar to that one Sandta. As Grubstake says, very common scam, i almost got done for two high end kayaks. Be careful mate.

Im not doing anything till the funds are in my account... Ill check with the bank to be sure .
If they are trying to hack my account , its one i use for my own sense of security ... It only has $40 in it

I find any dealings on Gumtree that involve transferring of money or buying items based off photos or sight unseen is bad news, you are always taking a huge risk - especially with big ticket items like detectors or otherwise.

Too many people treat Gumtree as a poor man's version of Ebay (minus the fees), when it should be treated purely as a method of buying items face to face with the seller/buyer, and with cash in hand. That also includes meeting at a pre-arranged location to do the transaction, not at your home. There have too many cases of people having their home cased out by those with no intention of buying.

Personally I'd rather stick to ebay and cop the fees, whilst having some sort of protection. I've had nearly 700 transactions so far on ebay both in Oz and abroad, with only 2 bad dealings amongst those, both resulted in my funds being returned via paypal. If I receive an item like a detector doa, or not as described on Ebay, I can get my money back. Buy something similar on Gumtree that turns out be a boat anchor, there is not a hell of a lot you can do about it.

I saw this warning on a forum re scamming on gumtree, all so very true:

if they're not in the locality and express interest, then beware;
if they cannot provide a local contact at all, be very suspicious;
if they are prepared to purchase sight unseen, be very suspicious;
if they provide a story that just doesn't feel right or make sense, they're scammers;
if they make too-good-to-be-true promises, they're scammers;
if they seek personal and especially financial details; they're scammers.

The cheque / Money order clears, and then they SAY that they can not pick up and get you to do a refund by direct deposit /paypal etc.

About 4 or 6 weeks later the deposit made to you is found to be fake. Bank takes all the money off you.. And you paid the scammer...

Standard scam.

It could be just like Anger Management said, although they I suspect they would want their refund via Western Union, which transfers money internationally in minutes, with no comebacks.

Alternatively, they may "accidentally" overpay you and seek prompt reimbursement of the difference (which may be a considerable amount). As an honest person, you are happy to do so, but later you discover that their original payment was fraudulent (possibly a transfer from a third-party hijacked account), so you are out of pocket for the amount of the reimbusement.

These scammers are professionals, Sandta - they know all the angles. Please be very careful.

Latest posts