Gumtree Scams- **Beware**

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the bsb then contact the security department of that particular bank and inform them that the account is being used for fraudulent purposes. They'll look into it too. Don't just trust the person at the counter of the branch to be interested in helping....

My wife works for wa police and gets these calls quite often , best advice is to contact your local police ,, then seek legal advice as it may end up as a civil matter ,, there is a chance the police will see it as " you've paid for goods and not recieved the item " hence seeking legal advice ,, ... as long as the transaction and bank to which the money was paid into is in Australia will you stand a better chance of recovery but no guarantee that you'll receive a cent ,,,

Very shi**y thing to do to someone, I have been weeding out some dodgy deals on gumtree for the last week but they seem to keep coming back!! We have had some troubles at work with fraudulent credit cards and as people have said first port of call is the local cops but in our case they seem to sit on there hands. Hope you get this matter resolved!!!

I hate thieves, and this is plain outright theft. The cops should definitely be able to at least have a good look into it.

A woman in the USA scammed a few members of an audio forum I'm on for quite substantial amounts, they all complained to the feds over there and eventually she was locked up for a number of years in a federal prison as she scammed people across state borders, which is a federal offence in the USA. :D I don't think they ever got their money back but at least they got some satisfaction.

Hi guys
Gumtree emailed me this morning advising me that another individual has been scammed by the same guy for the same item. So this guy has done 2 people so far. Maybe more. I told gumtree to ask the other victim to lodge a complaint via acorn as well. with any luck another complaint may speed things up. so the bakball is in motion. Today ill call the bank of the scammer and inform them of the fraudulant account and that another person has been scammed

gedanate said:
Personally, I would rather see one of these scammers sent to jail rather than be forced to repay the money. Where's the fear factor if they know they won't be jailed?

I agree. Personally id prefer this guy to be fined and jailed. My money back would be a miracle however proper just punishment is preffered. if it was a choice of my money back and him roam free or loss of my money but he receive jail term id choose the jail term for this dickhead

Just been notified by the other victim that there is a third victim. He was scammed by the same guy same item. And used paypal. He is having problems getting his money back through paypal. But i spoke to the 2nd victim today just now on the phone. He was ripped off 500$. I told him to email westpac and advise them of this fraudulent account. surely the bank can do something about it. its 2015

You have an Australian phone number and a bank account number plus multiple offences against this loser which is more than enough for the police to follow up on. If a guy stole your skateboard and u had a rego number they would be straight on it . This is a case of Aus police being friggin lazy in their duty and not helping victims . There may be a financial directive from above but that means JACK ! We all have a right to justice and if they aren't prepared to pursue it COMPLAIN VIGEROULSY to your local member . The squeaky wheel is the one that gets oiled.

You are a victim of crime , u have a right to justice. IF NOT apply for victim of crime compensation . Its available in NSW , not sure where u are mate ?

treasureman

I sent you a message I live in Yeppoon been here for 30 Years if you have any information on him message me I will knock on his door for you.

Cant be all that bad a local female prospector knocking on your door, I will check our local paper and our trader mag I will find him.

Only need a bit of info yeppoon is not that big.

Cheers Margaret

Im from qld
yeppoon maybe 400km away. Wish id just stuck with driving up there.
oh well.
ive come to grips with the loss. Acorn.gov.au. not much help.
ill call them tomorrow grubstake thanks for that link. And details.
Im so eager to get out there swinging again. God i miss it. Every outting is an adventure. Miss trecking through the bush hoping to stumble on a hidden treasure.
i have money to buy another detector but wont by another until i save up the money i gave away. That way im on target and gonna have to deal with the loss. Deep breath. Wont do that again. and have fauth no one will after seeing this thread.
Thank you for everybodies help and advice. We live and learn from each other. And im appreciative of the advice.

yes will take some time i imagine. But there is a chance ill get my money back too, which would be a blessing. But in the first instance was happy for him to be caught and not receive my money back. what a bastard this guy is. Life in jail i i think is suitable for someone scamming on this kind of level

Latest posts