Gumtree Scams- **Beware**

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try raising your matter with AFP - they might be able to assist.

Several years ago (before PayPal was a mandatory payment option on eBay), I got scammed on a flat screen TV in similar circumstances. Went to AFP (noting I live in ACT), and they investigated. After several weeks, they tracked down the culprit and I got a full refund from the culprit - I presume this refund was made under threat of criminal charges being laid by AFP and SA Police.

Shocking news mate, i really feel for you!
Contact your bank straight away and let them know what has happened.
If anything they may be able to tell you where your money has gone (interstate, overseas etc) which bank branch etc....
Might give you a starting point at least.

thanks for clarifying that mbasko, both my disputes were from ebay sales and I never knew Gumtree wasn't covered.

treasureman.........although it's been a tough and expensive lesson, you can rest assure you've probably saved one or two fellow members finding out the hard way by bringing this to light (including myself) so I know it won't bring your money back but thanks for sharing the thread and I really hope your bank can come to the party and refund your money mate.

That is a new rule from paypal about gumtree - probably because so many scams going on there.

Never pay COD - I paid COD for a detector and got a fake. Because the post office wouldn't let me pay the COD using my credit card I also didn't get the counterfeit protection that my mastercard has. Never saw my $500 again.

More and more it is becoming difficult to buy anything in this world, even the facebook groups are dodgy, sellers selling stolen items, not even being at meeting points, bloody frustrating

Hi guys
yes i got done over 725$ hard earned dollars. A big lesson ive learned here. use paypal over bank transfer as my bank has stated there is not much they can do as if they cant do anything about it. It was an australian account. aussie guy. very believable on the phone. Just wish i had asked more questions. The sunray pinpointer for example. first time this has happened to me. And the last. Ill do my best and go as far to get this guy caught for blatantly ripping me off. Ive sold things on gumtree for example like a camera and been genuine and posted the customer the item. Honest easy transaction. However there are people that take from others and have no faith in positivity and doing good honest things for your fellow customer. They certainly knew the etrac was a good buy for 900 negotioable.

Im assuming he used a fake name.
however the bank account bsb and acc would be some leed.
Power of the internet just may get this bastard.

Wolfau said:
As long as the ebay seller has some history there is nothing wrong with purchasing on ebay
but make sure you pay via Paypal which offers buyer protection.

With the ANZ Bank direct deposits can be investigated and funds can be returned. So if
you made a direct deposit payment ask your bank about this.

If you paid by Paypal though raise a paypal dispute and funds can be returned.

How did you make the purchase?

Was it through an email or phone call?

If you have the guys ph number and he is in Australia I would be inclined to make an enquiry with
the Federal Police by walking into one of their offices. Gumtree may have IP Address related history
and mobile ph data may be able to be recovered.

Don't give up and try to get your money back.

Mate im going to do my best to get my money back.

Goldpick said:
Did you report the listing to gumtree, I see it is still up, or won't they touch it?

This is the add preview gumtree sent me once i asked why the add was removed Due to the seller breaching their policies. This is when the guy rang me and said it was nothing to worry about and guntree remove adds all the time due to keywords etc. Which i was naive enough to believe him. Thinking this guy was honest. Said he would send me tracking number on saturday. WgWhich didnt happen. Now the number is switched off. So the add your seeing is a preview. Gumtree is aware the seller is a scammer. Add no longer up.

How can someone do this to Another human being?
Just stay positive though I think Your on your way.

What i would do though is ring the bank (not visit a bank)
and ask them if there is a way to reverse the charge.

I do hope you get a positive outcome.

ProspectorPete said:
thanks for clarifying that mbasko, both my disputes were from ebay sales and I never knew Gumtree wasn't covered.

treasureman.........although it's been a tough and expensive lesson, you can rest assure you've probably saved one or two fellow members finding out the hard way by bringing this to light (including myself) so I know it won't bring your money back but thanks for sharing the thread and I really hope your bank can come to the party and refund your money mate.

I agree. Im guttered. but staying positive. Very expensive lesson indeed. Guess i had faith in my fellow man. I guess not..

treasureman said:
Im assuming he used a fake name.
however the bank account bsb and acc would be some leed.

The bank account details may not be any help, if he used a prepaid card account. See this post, "Always google bsb numbers before you pay anything - Gum Tree" on another forum: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=26926.0

BSB and account number will be all the cops need to subpoena the details from the bank of this idiot.

Its definitely not a lost cause yet!

Hey treasureman
hopefully karma will get this scumbag!!
but like a few others have said, try the Police (AFP), especially if you have phone number and bank details.
While it is still fresh in your mind write down as much detail about the phone call as you can and everything else you can remember, if you phoned him you can get times and repeater details from your phone account.
hope you get him
Boyd

Keep trying. If they know the bank details are Australian then they have identification of the culprit. Its a criminal act so the authorities should persue it yoi would expect.

Latest posts