Gumtree Scams- **Beware**

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was recently scammed by a guy from Gumtree, selling a Whites GMT. I know it's my own fault for falling for it, but I am looking for any information about this guy, as he has been mentioned on here before.
He is located in Athelstone SA, but works as far as Saddleworth SA (which is also where he get some scam mail sent).

Any information would be helpful, or if anyone wants phone numbers for this guy, I'm sure we could con his home address out of him.

If anything, take this as a warning. Don't be the fool I was.

I also was the fool you were. Once you have 10 posts up contact me via pm to discuss. I have his address

Did you actually receive the detector (ie. Payment on delivery at the post office), or was it one of those "grey imports" that is not recognised by Goldsearch Australia?

When you find him treat him like a computer and punch in some new information... that may reprogram him.. :mad:

I didn't receive anything. He just took my money and ran. But he used to run a Grey Imports business a few years ago, until he was shut down.
I look forward to getting his address!!!

Ben78 said:
I also was the fool you were. Once you have 10 posts up contact me via pm to discuss. I have his address

Do you mean the one in Saddleworth? Because I believe he has moved. I know his mail goes to Athelstone SA....

Well that is straight out deception or stealing, I'd be tempted to get the police involved rather than post addresses and have the lynch mob mentality.

he should be reported to the department of fair trading... they don't mess about. :) the police will usually not get involved in civil cases like this. and then flog him. ;)

This bloke has been going for years, just keeps moving around.
From memory he took Woody for a ride for about 6K about 8 years ago.

The address I have is the one from the cod forms lodged at the post office. Ie where the past office sent his cod payment notification

kawman said:
he should be reported to the department of fair trading... they don't mess about. :) the police will usually not get involved in civil cases like this. and then flog him. ;)

Quite a while ago an eBay seller took me for $2K (before paypal became a mandatory payment option) in similar circumstances. Fair trading got me nowhere so I reported the incident as an alleged fraud to the local police (AFP in Canberra) and they took an active interest. They tracked the seller to SA and SAPOL apprehended the person within several days ... their intervention resulted in the seller giving me a full refund.

So, my advice is to not shy away from reporting such matters of fraud to your local police.

As recommended by Gumtree, only deal with cash, face to face transactions, preferably exchange products for cash in a public place vs at your home (scammers casing out your home ). I know it doesn't help, but I now avoid using Gumtree, just too many dodgy sellers, as well as buyers. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the really supportive comments (much nicer than my Whirlpool experience.... haha).
I'm not into lynching this guy. Just stopping him from scamming others, or at least giving him some sort of police record. And if I'm supremely lucky... get my money back.
The police left me a message on my phone. So I'll be talking to them tomorrow. I also found out his real name (thank you Facebook!), and I have about 10 different phone numbers for him!!!! And.... I know what he looks like.

that is great news.. In the last 2 years I have had to recover over $12,000 in unpaid depts.. The nsw police always tell me that it is a civil matter and they will not get involved.. I now use a collection agency to get my dough.. It is very sad when it comes to this.. There is always going to be bad people out there waiting to bring you down.. :)
trekwithleena said:
Thanks for all the really supportive comments (much nicer than my Whirlpool experience.... haha).
I'm not into lynching this guy. Just stopping him from scamming others, or at least giving him some sort of police record. And if I'm supremely lucky... get my money back.
The police left me a message on my phone. So I'll be talking to them tomorrow. I also found out his real name (thank you Facebook!), and I have about 10 different phone numbers for him!!!! And.... I know what he looks like.

The cops should be interested because this is straight up fraud/theft. I'd be finding others who have been ripped off and get them to report him also.

Pity we don't have the same laws as the USA, rip someone off across a state line this way and it becomes a federal offence.

On an audio forum I was on this happened to numerous members, the ripped off forum members ganged up on the fraudster, called the feds and I think she got about 10-15 years in the slammer, it was a lot of money and was a federal offence.

trekwithleena said:

Your research went a bit better than mine then!

I'd be interested to know how you went with the police as my local referred me to SA as it the fraud was committed there and in SA they want you to fill out a form and we'll get back to you...

A Current Affair, Today Tonight etc nothing like a gunho tv crew in ya face - and they seem to always get a positive outcome

About time they act, can't believe this guy has been scamming for so long with no action or interest taken. Afterall, it is a police matter, not civil, it's simply deception by fraud.

Latest posts