Grabben Gullen information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatho said:
Rod the Green stuff is Olivine, nice that you got a Sapphire though.

Cool thanks m8, wont bother with a pic then, am i correct that being transparent and gem quality( but tiny) they could be called peridot. If they were bigger they would make for some lovely cutting material.
The blue we got is only half carat but such a lovely even blue, very different from the sapphire we get up barrington, alot darker blue and more cornflower pastel in colour.
rod

Heatho said:
How sure are you the green stones are olivine? The hardness and striations would point more towards Tourmaline or maybe topaz i thought. This has been bugging me for a while now :rolleyes:

shivan said:
Heatho said:
How sure are you the green stones are olivine? The hardness and striations would point more towards Tourmaline or maybe topaz i thought. This has been bugging me for a while now :rolleyes:

Yeah maybe you're right Shivan, I don't think I've found 1 big enough to see the striations though, lol. I was reading a report that said Olivine was present in GG creek but it never mentioned Tourmaline, does not mean to say it's not present.

But yes striations sound like Tourmaline, would be good to get a definitive answer on it. Maybe someone has a decent sized piece of the stuff to post up a pic.

I think they are both there I have found them with lines that is how I know they are not sapphires when using sieve green sapphires are different very strong colours and colour changes when you turn on side you will find tourmaline every where at gg very common :)

All mine are small but most have visible striations.... there does appear to be poor cleavage but that does not really help.
As for a definitive answer, i will take mine with me to UNI at the end of the moth and ask the mineralogy expert :D

richo966 said:
I think they are both there I have found them with lines that is how I know they are not sapphires when using sieve green sapphires are different very strong colours and colour changes when you turn on side you will find tourmaline every where at gg very common :)
Have found a few green sapphires too, but the green stones iam talking about are a lot lighter and softer than the sapphires, and do not seem to be at the bottom of the pan or top of the pile with the spinel and sapphires.

Heres a copy of the reports I was referring to out of interest, not a real report just a basic one I guess. I just assumed it was Olivine frrom this. Hopefully someone a Uni will know for sure mate, I'd like to know also.

Metallic and Industrial Deposits
109455 - Grabben Gullen Creek Sapphire Deposit No.1 (Grabben Gullen Creek Sapphire Deposit No.1)
Coords: -34.544635,149.235251
Comm_type: Gemstones
F_prefix: GU
F_no: 0007
Met_prefix: GOULBURN
Met_no: 0493
Hist_map: IN08763
Geo_province: Lachlan Orogen
Metal_dist: not assigned
Op_status: ceased
Op_method: alluvial workings
Lga: Upper Lachlan
Sum_desc: Imported from INDMIN database
Compiler: PM Downes 1/9/2000
Last_update: 2006-08-15
Occur_size: Occurrence only
Update_hist: Tue Aug 15 2006 downesp PM Downes 1/9/2000, Other classification RP McEvilly & PM Downes Sept 03
Notes: Sapphire-rich alluvial gravels. Olivine is present in recoverable quantity and common corundum and gem zircon and topaz are also present.
Major_source: documented
Commodities
sapphire MAJOR
topaz - gem MINOR
zircon - gem MINOR
olivine MAJOR
Resource Estimates
---
Production
---
Minerals
Olivine major ore
Sapphire major ore
Topaz minor ore
Zircon minor ore

109456 - Grabben Gullen Creek Sapphire Deposit No. 2 (Grabben Gullen Creek Sapphire Deposit No. 2)
Coords: -34.564058,149.257568
Comm_type: Gemstones
F_prefix: GU
F_no: 0008
Met_prefix: GOULBURN
Met_no: 0495
Hist_map: IN08764
Geo_province: Lachlan Orogen
Metal_dist: not assigned
Op_status: ceased
Op_method: alluvial workings
Lga: Upper Lachlan
Sum_desc: Imported from INDMIN database
Compiler: PM Downes 1/9/2000
Last_update: 2000-09-01
Occur_size: Occurrence only
Update_hist: PM Downes 1/9/2000, Other classification RP McEvilly & PM Downes Sept 03
Notes: Sapphire-rich alluvial gravels as shown on the Goulburn 1:250,000 metallogenic map. Olivine is present in recoverable quantity and common corundum and gem zircon and topaz are also present.
Major_source: documented
Commodities
sapphire MAJOR
olivine MAJOR
topaz - gem MINOR
zircon - gem MINOR

It may be olivine, from memory there was some hot spot volcanism in the area when Australia was still being created which i believe would have brought it up.
It just looks and acts different from the olivine i have (hardness and striations), though the known olivine is not water worn or eroded. Starting to wonder if what i have taken as striations could be micro cleavage..... may be time for glasses :eek:

I am not expert but I have found different greens ranging from dark to light some brown ones I call them tourmaline I may be wrong could be both you find so many different types at gg always find some thing that makes me go wow look at that nothing of value but some nice specimens come out every now and then so keep your eyes open and don't just look for sapphires you don't know what will come out like a lucky dip of minerals :)

Ok i got some closer pics and i think everyone is right lol.
These shots all without bottom lighting so the darker bigger ones dont show their colour or transparency.
rod

1408427862_greens19resize.jpg

1408427882_greens20resize.jpg

1408427899_greens21resize.jpg

1408427915_greens22resize.jpg

1408427948_greens25resize.jpg

I think you have olivine, sapphires and enstatite in the little greens from Grabben Gullen. The enstatite is often found with olivine may be olive green to brown, transparent with striations. A google will give you pics looking very like it.
The pics of cut stones shows some Andersine Feldspar I have recently cut from the pale grey/blue material some have been reporting from Grabben Gullen as well.

Noticed that the Grabben Gullen area had a substantial amount of rain earlier this week, might be worth going soon as people tend to say its better after a flood.

fossickeract said:
I think you have olivine, sapphires and enstatite in the little greens from Grabben Gullen. The enstatite is often found with olivine may be olive green to brown, transparent with striations. A google will give you pics looking very like it.
The pics of cut stones shows some Andersine Feldspar I have recently cut from the pale grey/blue material some have been reporting from Grabben Gullen as well.

Sounds like a lovely mix to have, pity they arent larger, i wonder if larger olivine or enstatite stones have been found around, or due to hardness or another factor they maybe weather or are formed small, interesting no less.
I found a weird specimen that sounds like the Andersine feldspar you mentioned, except this is translucent greeny/blue with a light shone through it. Interesting material there for sure.
Rod

To Canberrans, is it quicker/easier to get to GG by going Collector - Gunning or Sutton - Gunning. Cheers in advance.

What is the darkest stone in the second pic of rods photos?
I have a Beauty like it,with light under it ,she shines fluro green like nothing else.

Latest posts