Grabben Gullen information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reckon the dark green without any lines on it is a sapphire, the yellowish green olivine but the ones with the striations along the crystal are enstatite, just an educated guess. :)

1411024719_image.jpg

This is a piece of the same ,photo don't do it justice

WOW the river was high today.
No way to cross over from the carpark side unless you crossed the bridge.
Got a few thats all that matters,

Dan

No forgot to take some, but man thats the highest and and fastest I have seen the water flowing out there.

Dan

Hey guys, Do any of you know where the best spot for sapphires are at Grabben Gullen, because last time I went there I could not find the spot. So please if anyone goes in the next couple of days can you please give me the coordinates to where abouts in the creek you get the most stones that would be much, much, much appreciated. Thank you all so much

Palmer :p

Palmer the key with Grabben Gullen is that there are stones there, you've just gota dig a hole and find them. Most areas have been gone over so if you can find an area holding up a lot of spinel (small black stones in the centre of your sieve) then spend some time there. But my best suggestion is to try a number of spots, test pan, if there is no spinel or sapphires, go for a new spot. There is no one spot that holds the mother load, it is about hard work and finding the spots that hold one or two stones -- if anyone knew where the mother load was, they wouldn't give the coordinates out on a public forum either I don't think :)!

Ha ha ha ha. oops your serious, hang on I'll just grab the coordinates for ya!!
8)

Palmer9999 said:
Hey guys, Do any of you know where the best spot for sapphires are at Grabben Gullen, because last time I went there I could not find the spot. So please if anyone goes in the next couple of days can you please give me the coordinates to where abouts in the creek you get the most stones that would be much, much, much appreciated. Thank you all so much

Palmer9999 said:

Best advice I can give is get your backpack, sieves and sunscreen and go for a stroll. Every 5m, stop and do a couple of test sieves. I would be surprised if after 20 minutes you don't have some stones of interest in your hand. Where the big boulders are, you can actually just Noodle for them like Liz shows on youtube. Found a 7 carat "very nice but flat" blue bomb doing that, so they are there all around. I also found a green 7 carat there which I had cabochoned...it was in someone elses hole that they left. I sieved twice and there she was in all her glory couldn't miss it like a jelly bean sitting on some pebbles. If you are game, dig down a bit. Can be hard work but that's all part of the fun, apart from those hungry leeches that dart up and stick to the side of the sieve! They love me. :)

Ive heard theres so property owners who allow fossickers to camp on their properties, anybody know of any, I want to take the girls down there, Ive been meaning to for ages.

Palmer9999 said:

:D As we say in French, "don't you want 100$ and a Mars as well?" (Tu veux pas 100 balles et un Mars?).

Go and think, look at the river, dig and sieve, those are the best advices.

Pauly said:
Ive heard theres so property owners who allow fossickers to camp on their properties, anybody know of any, I want to take the girls down there, Ive been meaning to for ages.

Your allowed to camp on the area next to the bridge.
Greg

I heard that but I dont know the area, I have 2 girls 16 and 18 and their safety is my concern near roads etc. We bush camp but when your near roads you get yahoos.

I've never seen a yahoo there Pauly, I'd be surprised if you can even see the camping area from the road and more surprised if you got >5 cars go past it in a day -- head out and take a look at the site if you're worried beforehand would be my advice! It seems like a pretty safe area though in my opinion

Thanks ill have a look if I can get there on my own, its a 4ish hour drive I think for me.

Can anyone jump on google earth and check im looking in the right place please

3433'55.67"S 14915'33.59"E

Latest posts