GPZ7000 19" coil GPZ19 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
[knowing full well what it's capable of I would back the GPZ with a small coil. The 14" coil already isn't too far off now & in fact a smaller coil for the GPZ both excites me (for some areas) & worries me - just how small a speck do I want to be trying to locate? They're small enough now! The Zed will go much deeper on them as well.

Yep, I thought the 14" was a whooper for a standard Coil and no doubt the 19" is going to be a huge success in more open areas but I think the 8x12 like the Platypus would be a winner too, Because of how the Zed works it will become one that goes down in history, and in a month or so we will start seeing the results of the GZP 19 and the only thing in the way is Christmas coming up with folks itching to get out there and test them.

As a Z owner and before that other Minelabs I can say with exact certainty, confirming Minelabs Motto, their detectors have certainly helped make my fortune, I expect the 19" coil on the Z will add to that. I know there are 1000s other Minelab owners in OZ that would say the same, except they couldn`t be bothered, why do I bother? I don`t know because it is obvious from the above mockery instead of respect towards the moderators, it will achieve naught.

I'll leave those links there Lee so members can have a read and make what they want from it until more testing becomes apparent. One thing I noticed with my SDC just for arguments sake is that it detects deeper when the nugget is in undisturbed ground, when the nugget is removed it air tests at quite a bit less of a distance than it was removed from. All I'm saying is air tests can be an indicator of performance but not a way to prove with certainty of what will happen when a target lies in undisturbed ground.

Now, one thing I can say with certainty is nothing can cause a punch up like Minelab releasing a new detector and a new coil.

That is a joke that last sentence, but you know that eh.... :lol:

Yes agreed.
But I have information from at least 4 people who have been detecting in NQ since the new coil came out & their results are reflecting the tests (lack of results) over old patches, these guys have the runs on the board with finds since the GPZ came out, they have gone back to the 14" coil.
Lee

Fair enough Lee, though I have conflicting reports of nice nugs found very deep with the 19" coil, I've seen the photos and these are from people I trust and believe, they are quite excited by the coil and are doing well with it. Your reports are probably the same, from people you trust and believe too I take it.

Anyway let's not get too swayed by these initial reports, will be interesting to see what owners think in coming weeks and months.

Yeah, my 19" hasn`t been air "tested", never have I seen air tests to be of any use except for getting IDs on coin machines for reference. Another month or so running the 19" in the field on undug gold and I`ll know what is true. Early suspicions are the depth advantage of 30% over the 14" is very conservative as the 40% over the 5000 with a 14" coil was. Minelab will prove to be on the money as per norm.

Well very close to purchasing a Z ...................... was only waiting to see the marketing of the 19" coil actually. One thing for sure is there are certainly a lot of experts on the coil :rolleyes: The most common thing I keep seeing is heavy heavy and heavy which does make an already heavy machine heavier From a friend who knows results look good on certain types and little if any on others :/ Personally an air test to me is a nothing as gold in the ground is what I would go on but eagerly await the true findings of others as they dirty the new 19" :cool: The Z's a no brainer and I thank you Santa :D
:)

Heatho said:
will be interesting to see what owners think in coming weeks and months.
As we've seen with the SDC & GPZ this will be the feedback that counts. All respect to Reg & others on 4umer but there were more than a few unhappy to begin with after both those releases. I know some of them now own both! I think there will be more to the GPZ19 conundrum than is currently being thrown around.
A lot of experts on either side of the fence don't even own a GPZ let alone the new coil. It's not really going to suit me due to size but still want to get relevant info on it. It never struck me that this coil was going to replace most GPZ14's rather a weapon of choice in the right area. Hopefully it pans out well for those who have those areas!

I will say this, at nearly 20 inches and still able to pick up under 0.5 gram and tiny lead shots wow if you think you had trouble finding a tiny target once out of the ground with the 14 then the 19 takes it to a whole new level. The front and rear squares on the centre line seem to be the most sensitive parts of the coil for locating a target. I feel Minelab are going to have to make a solid coil cover as the inside of the coil is very touch sensitive even though it is kind of protected the right rock or stick gets in there and feel with constant bashing on rocks is going to harm the coil.

I really think anyone making a judgement on this coil without learning it first will just make up their mind on it and never put it back on but it really seems to talk a slightly different language than the 14, lead shots are a real warble on the 14 but the 19 seems to get rid of the warble and a flat little nugget doesn't do the crazy warble anymore. I have found loads of deep targets with the 14 this year with nothing but a pause in the threshold and feel this new coil is giving even more complicating target response that is going to have to be learnt the hard way unfortuantely. One thing is for sure it will not make gold infront of you.

And forgot to mention one thing, with my pick on my shoulder I never had trouble with the 14 but with to wide a swing I now get a response with the 19 when I swing to far to the left. And when bending down to locate a target you just cant get as close to it as you could to the 14 that right there is proof enough for me the 19 is going to punch deeper without even digging a target out of the ground.

Okay thanks Nenad as with some of the test results being thrown about I thought this one was outrageous, having now read it wrong.

Hopefully and I look forward to you performing some video tests between the 14" and 19" coils on the GPZ using nuggets buried in the ground as you did previously when testing the Evo , Elite and Detech coils on the GPX.

Regards,
Rush (Robert)

My experiences so far with the new Z19:

1: YES it is heavy, but compared to the early miners and the work they did how can people possibly complain.
2: YES the open spoke coil is a pain in heavy grassed and wooded areas, easily fixed by attaching Perspex to the bottom.

Remember back when the Z first came out, nothing but complaints people ditching them for a loss, well I am one that believes in ML's technology and the amount of R&D that goes into designing the detectors and coils [a bunch of smart people over there]. People must have patience and really learn the ZVT technology and listen and interpret what the detector is telling you, remember the Z is a totally different beast to the GPX series and expecting to run the detector with a perfect threshold is not going to exploit the ZVT technology to its maximum potential. I look at the Z much like a Super VLF machine and you will only start seeing great result by unleashing ZVT and running the Z in Normal mode and not difficult. This is where the 19 comes into its own due to the geometry of the new coil Normal runs much quieter then the 14 on the same ground.

Now for my 10 hours of work so far put into the coil. I went back to an old patch in Talbot that has been very kind to me and selected an area 25m x 25m to do a comparison between both the 14 and 19 coil.

Detector settings for 14 and 19: [I ran the same settings for both coils]

Gold Type: High Yield
Ground Type: Difficult / Normal
Sensitivity: 13 6
Smoothing: Off
Threshold: 26
GB: Auto
Volume: 2
Volume Limit: 4

1. I gridded the area in both Difficult [no targets], and Normal [no targets] using the 14 and came up with nothing. Happy I hadn't missed anything :cool:

2. I then gridded the same area using the 19 coil and came up with difficult [no targets] and normal [4 targets], I re-checked in difficult [0 targets]. Without disturbing the ground I connected the 14 coil and re-ran over the 4 targets, I could just make out 1 target in Normal and cranking the sensitivity up to 17, however the EMI and ground noise I believe would have caused me to miss it if I didn't already know the target was their.

3. I scraped 4 inches off the surface of all 4 targets and the 14 coil in Normal/ Sens 6 picked up them all up :) .

4. I reconnected the 19 coil as I wanted to test pinpointing with the coil on the targets. I found it very good and with the major advantage of the spoke design and being able to see the TX/RX overlap on the leading edge and use it as the pin pointer. It worked a treat and I could be happier for such a large coil.

Now for the Targets.

The first target turned out to be a piece of lead from I think a .22 or something similar.

The [3] remaining targets turned out to be:

Gold 5g @ 12 inches [River Worn]
Gold .5g @ 4 inches [River Worn]
Gold 1.2g @ 8 inches [Reefy]

Why both Reedy and River Worn in the same area I cant explain but my previous finds have been a mixture of both.\

1479682033_optimized-img_20161121_093024_01.jpg

All I can say is that I am going to persist with the coil as I believe it has a lot of potential and hopefully ML will also release a software update to further enhance the capabilities for the Z.

Rgds

tryhard.

Good positive stuff Tryhard, you`ve got me itching to get the 19" over some deep ground, weather permitting wont be long, then again bugger the weather. All I want for Xmass is a nugget or two.

Latest posts