How to tape off Equinox 900 coils with tape

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My Equinox 900 finally arrived and I am now asking myself how the hell am I supposed to prevent sand from getting between skid-plate and coil?

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 17-49-43 Equinox Coil for both Minelab Equinox 600 and 800 Metal Dete...png
They are obviously this awkward open double D design, so taping them up closed on the outside will not stop the sand.
How have you all done it? Silicone bead on the skid-plate and then put the coil into that? Does it ever come apart again without damage?

Cheers

Tim

The open coils are made to keep the weight light + allow water thru them (minimise drag in water).
Personally I wouldn't bother taping or sealing them. They are fully waterproof & easily/quickly washed off at the end of the day under a shower at the beach or the hose once home.

You can pop the cover off & wash any sand out, the idea of taping was to stop mineralized dirt from getting in & giving false targets, not sure sand will do that.

Thanks for that .... makes sense reading your replies.
I think main reason for the question was me watching "too" many YouTube videos before I got the machine and overthinking it.
After a few times out, the typical sequence is popping the cover off and simply washing the sand out.

In order to prevent water and very find sand from getting between the coil and cover I use: "Rust-Oleum 340g Black LeakSeal Flexible Rubber Coating Spray"

1) With the cover off run a thin bead of neutral cure silastic around all the inside corners of the cover.

2) clip cover on and press firmly working your way around so some silastic oozes up and out the gap all the way around

3) wipe away excess silastic with white spirits or kero.

You will still be able to get the cover off when you want using a flexible blade putty knife to gently run around in the gap edges then flexing the cover on the long side

Latest posts