Gippsland Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday, ive been out of the prospecting game for about 20 years. Back then we panned at woods point and around bendigo. Im now spending alot of time in the warragul area and have been talking to people in the district about local gold finds and mining activity around tynong north area and around neerim south. After trying a few creeks and seeing no color in the pan im starting to think im either in the wrong spots or there really isnt much gold in the area. If anybody out there could point me in the right direction in these areas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Hi Outlawd

My girlfriend lives in Warragul and although I've never prospected that area I would be interested in a field trip.
Most of the major spots have been worked so I've checked google earth and found what I think are a few unknown goldfields.
PM me if you want to give it a go. :)

Gday blindbat. Thanks for the reply. Im happy to go for fieldtrip. I have spoken to a few locals in longwarry and garfield that tell me there are old shafts around crossover - rokeby area but as yet ive had no joy finding them or the ones in the tynong area. another rumour tells of a fist size nugget found by a local in his paddock in the neerim sth area but no confirmation about that find so far.

Outlawd said:
Gday blindbat. Thanks for the reply. Im happy to go for fieldtrip. I have spoken to a few locals in longwarry and garfield that tell me there are old shafts around crossover - rokeby area but as yet ive had no joy finding them or the ones in the tynong area. another rumour tells of a fist size nugget found by a local in his paddock in the neerim sth area but no confirmation about that find so far.

Hi Yes there are old shafts in that area although only a trained eye will see evidence of them now as most have been filled in by farming and now just appear as a slight mound in a paddock. Not sure on nuggets in the area but the fist size sounds fair. If you read bulliten 38 and understand that the area once had a thick conglomerate sheet over the top that has now eroded away then you may understand that there are small pockets that should contain gold in areas that are not recognised gold fields. :)

It's a bit wet and cold up there at the moment.
Here's just a few areas I would be keen on looking at. All in forestry and a short drive from Warragul. :)
1441546750_warragul_gold.jpg

No worries atomrat. Ive been up that way many moons ago to do some trailbike riding. Needed a wetsuit under your leathers back then and Im guessing still as bad now. 4x4 is always ready to rock and roll guys, all we needs some sunshine and looks like a trip in the bush. :)

Maybe a weekend forum get together/camp? When it dries out and warms up. In the mean time I would be happy just to test the wet gutters on the lower ridges. I've done this before with interesting results.

I know quite a few spots out there and its been hit hard recently and over the past years. Dont even bother with russel creek if you value your ankles and someone is always turning it. There is one spot I'd like to check out, but futther out towards thompson is where you want to start looking about. Tanjil was good for those allowed to dredge back in the day. Crystals are somewhere north east of tanjil bren town though I'm still yet to find the spot in one if the many logging coupes.

It doesn't warm up out there by the way, the water stays very very VERY cold. I found this out the hard way wearing shorts, t shirt and thongs, was sick for a week.

Its a great place to get bogged or stranded without help or a lot of 4x4 experience, somethibg I know nothing about

Ive heard donnellys creek on the other side of the thompson is another good spot to check out after a good rain. Definately a weekend trip. :)

i know some guys who are doing ok out there, they deposits they have sourced are very deep, not sure how beneficial that would be for us average prospectors

This might be a good spot as easy access during winter and would have small trickles running down the hill sides that would carry the gold to the creeks/rivers. It's a 5klm round trip.

1441584484_warragul_gold_walk2.jpg

Im hoping with all this rain weve had its washed some fresh metal into the streams so we mite be in luck...

In this weather I like to stick to the ridges and keep dry. I look for the tiny gutters feeding the streams, they're as small as the gaps in concrete footpaths. I just scoop them out with a spoon and screwdriver and pan that off. The gold is only small (too small to detect) but sometimes a lot of it, and you can trace it.

Yes, there's deep leads on the south side of Warragul. The large conglomerate that covered this area was totally washed away in the mountains but not on that flat south side. It's about 100-200ft below.
Hey I was thinking what happened to the conglomerate from the hills and just saw this sitting off the coast.

1441590123_everard_canyon.jpg

Wouldn't you love to dredge that.

It's a shame gold isn't magnetic, if it were we could have gold nugget fishing trips. :)

Yer I don't think that you will be able to get there.
Thats the shelf. 1500m deep.
Maybe ask Vern from bering sea gold for his new contraption, to dig up the bottom of the ocean lol.

Latest posts