Fuel Smell - Ways to overcome

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DropBear

Tim
Reaction score
Hey all...

So i was testing my new car today to see how it will fit all my prospecting gear.

I have run into an issue, i get a strong smell of fuel from the Water pump and/or the fuel container. (both seem to be sealed up as much as i can make them.)

The last car was a Ute, so i had no issue as everything out back, but now having a 4x4 and having to take everything inside the car, this has been an issue.

I might even have to look into an electric pump... not sure yet.

What do people tend to do to overcome this??

Cheers,

DB :/

Had this problem recently, turned out to be the jerry can gassing up from vibration and venting out the rubber seal. I'll be ditching that jerry can.
Get a good quality jerry can (willow are ok) with a good seal.
Or wrap your pump in a heavy duty plastic bag ( aldi freezer bag? ) and tie it up.

Reeko

Yeah i thought it was the Jerry can also, i have a 20L plastic one that has about 10L in it. I pushed some of the airout so it had room to expand.

Tomorrow is the big test, going to be a couple of hours in the car.

I love that plastic bag idea!!! I will try that one out.

Actually bagging up the fuel container worked great!!

The pump turns out not to be the issue which is good. :)

Can't do roof-racks as the underground park i park in has a height limit.

A rack on the back wouldn't work on the Landrover i have... (i miss my ute haha)

But all in all, went and found a new spot on the weekend... Test pan was 10 colours. so we set up and ran for a few hours :D

Cleanup will follow in the next few days or so, just need to get around to running it through the Blue Bowl.

It is, a red one.

I got it from an Auto Store... Supercheap or Autopro, i can't remember the one.

it's only about 10 months old.

have you tried smoking in the car im sure that will fix the fume problem .lmao.

its a tough one I don't like flammable liquids in cars even the boot. bag it sounds like the best advice or drive with all the windows down. :D

Latest posts