6" Jaw Crusher

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day Guy's,
My marriage has broken down so got the big job of clearing the farm and this jaw crusher is going to get finished and I'll throw pic's up tomorrow of the current state of the crusher. I did update one of my old posts but on checking new posts that post didn't come up.

Now I do think a hydraulic drive is the go and I do have a 3 phase hydraulic pump I can hook up to a VFD so the crusher can be run from a clean powered genset as the VFD will need it. Then a simple handle can engage and disengage the drive with the bonus of variable speed of the hydraulic pump for true speed control. I do have a hydraulic motor here to test to see if is the right one.

Anyway pic's tomorrow of the current setup and full details on how I setup the hydraulic pack in the coming weeks so this will be an interesting build with plenty of pic's

Cheers Bryan

G'Day Guy's,
Well it has settled down on the home front as living on a 85 acre farm for 2 decades is a heap of stuff to remove and I told the ex missus don't expect me to help your side 🤣

Had a good look and think about this project and I do have all the gear here, now I was thinking of mounting the hydraulic tank and everything in the frame and thought well I can just run this off the remote on my tractor so that dispelled that thought.

The 3 phase hydraulic pump motor is only 1.1Kw so the vfd I have planned will fit nicely so the pump can be run off a single phase supply. I've got some steel plate here to make the hydraulic tank and plenty of old fittings to use. Now as I intend to setup hydraulics in my shed a bit more thought is needed and just use the quick connect fittings.

Got a day in the shed tomorrow so pic's will come guy's

Cheers Bryan

G'Day Guy's,
Had a bit of a cleanup and got my shed fire going so it's nice and warm working today so here's a few pic's to get this started.

1jawcrusher.jpg

The new hydraulic motor is sitting on the bed and thats the one I will be using as that old 10hp honda has had a good life and will go on to another task.

2jawcrusher.jpg

Here's a pic showing the front of the crusher, the 2 steel blocks have a dual spherical bearing in each and I put a grease nipple top and bottom so when greasing the old grease can be pushed out as we never want to fully grease a bearing as it could overheat. The drive pulley is cast iron and i made the counterweight out of some 40x10 flat bar and the outer part was cast with lead to give it more weight.

Both the fixed and moveable jaws are made from Bisalloy 500 20mm plate and soon I'll get a few kg's of old hard facing welding rods to increase the profile on the jaws.

3jawcrusher.jpg

This is a pic of the back of the crusher showing the reduction pulley setup, now as that 10hp did 3,500rpm and the hydraulic pump does 1,500 rpm I'm going to have to revisit the reduction setup.

Morning coffee just about over so time to rip that engine out and start cutting some metal.

Cheers Bryan

G'Day Guy's,
Well got that 10 hp motor off and found some 100x10mm flat bar so machined the 82.5mm hole hole for the hydraulic motor boss and drilled the mounting holes. Today I'll do some calc's to work out the ratios for the pulleys and that 3/4" lay shaft is going to get a bearing for the centre to help stabilize the shaft under load.

I did use some pipe and found the unit with handles can move it around so they will be made as the jig I was using is off my wool press so best to keep that all together.

Now as there is still a heap of room on the frame I am thinking thinking of making a secondary hammer mill that can run off the layshaft so to get the ore to powder will be a 2 step process.

Cheers Bryan

high ruddy
instead of more belts and pully's would it be better to run one of these
i ran one similar to this for 15years or more on the sweetpotato digger with no problems
they make the pump fully variable with the speed
kdbwfvhcb.JPG

G'Day Sand surfer by using a VFD on the hydraulic pump motor I can set the hertz to 100 then just a 5K pot can be used to dial in the speed as the VFD will adjust the rpm of the motor.

Anyway found a 4-1/2" ali pulley to be the donor for the primary drive and as the pump had a tapered output shaft I machined and keyed wayed the pulley today

4jawcrusher.jpg

I went thru the ratios and found by just changing the diameter of the primary pulley the output speed is 46RPM, now by replacing the 2" pulley on the first lay shaft which goes to the second lay shaft to 4" the output speed goes upto 96 RPM. So at 50 hertz that would be the speed and 100 hertz would double the speed which will be enough I do think.

Cheers Bryan

G'Day Guy's,
Well with fog all around on a Sunday morning what better time to get my shed fire raging and use my old drawing machine to sketch out the idea of this hammer mill I've been thinking about for long time.
2hammer.jpg

I had 8 of these hammers that came out of concrete hammer mill and after a year of service they are still ok to use.
1hammer.jpg

So thats my idea where a 120mm diameter billet is milled to fit the hammers which are then welded in place, a 1" shaft is keyed and locked into place for the drive. Each end cap will be machined aswell as the 200mm ID pipe housing so alignment won't be an issue.

For the output screen my idea is just to bolt some perforated plate with the hole size we want and the input shute will be nice and long to prevent material flying up.
The idea is this can sit in the frame and be driven off the 1st lay shaft and a 10 litre bucket can placed under to get the spoils.

so what do you guy's reckon.

Cheers Bryan

G'Day Guy's,
Well this arvo over a dram or 2 thinking about this hammer mill design I reckon putting choccy blocks on the ID of the housing to be the outer crushing part. Now this will decrease the diameter of the first draft and by going less over hang of the hammer will make it that much stronger.

Cheers Bryan

G'Day Guy's,
Well with fog all around on a Sunday morning what better time to get my shed fire raging and use my old drawing machine to sketch out the idea of this hammer mill I've been thinking about for long time.
View attachment 10275

I had 8 of these hammers that came out of concrete hammer mill and after a year of service they are still ok to use.
View attachment 10276

So thats my idea where a 120mm diameter billet is milled to fit the hammers which are then welded in place, a 1" shaft is keyed and locked into place for the drive. Each end cap will be machined aswell as the 200mm ID pipe housing so alignment won't be an issue.

For the output screen my idea is just to bolt some perforated plate with the hole size we want and the input shute will be nice and long to prevent material flying up.
The idea is this can sit in the frame and be driven off the 1st lay shaft and a 10 litre bucket can placed under to get the spoils.

so what do you guy's reckon.

Cheers Bryan
The hammers have to float though Bryan. Unless I've misread the drawing.

The hammers have to float though Bryan. Unless I've misread the drawing.
Jack I have repaired hammer mills throughout my life and the hammers are fixed on all the one's I have done, I have looked at a few homebuilt ones and yes most use floating ones. This design of mine where the hammers are just shy of the choccy blocks will crush anything in it's path period.

Got a bit more done on the jaw crusher today where I bored out the 4" pulley and keyed it, got it all back together to measure the keyway length needed as the belt is too short now and it's now the primary drive belt. So I'll get a new vee belt next week for the secondary drive and I still have 2 belt tensioners to make.

for the hydraulic motor plate fixing I'm going to weld in another section of the 75x40 C sectionand bolt the plate to it, this way the belt tensioner can go on the same section making the whole drive section nice and compact.

While I have the shaft in the mill I will put another keyway on the non drive end so it can drive the hammer mill when I make it.

Cheers Bryan

Jack I have repaired hammer mills throughout my life and the hammers are fixed on all the one's I have done, I have looked at a few homebuilt ones and yes most use floating ones. This design of mine where the hammers are just shy of the choccy blocks will crush anything in it's path period.

Got a bit more done on the jaw crusher today where I bored out the 4" pulley and keyed it, got it all back together to measure the keyway length needed as the belt is too short now and it's now the primary drive belt. So I'll get a new vee belt next week for the secondary drive and I still have 2 belt tensioners to make.

for the hydraulic motor plate fixing I'm going to weld in another section of the 75x40 C sectionand bolt the plate to it, this way the belt tensioner can go on the same section making the whole drive section nice and compact.

While I have the shaft in the mill I will put another keyway on the non drive end so it can drive the hammer mill when I make it.

Cheers Bryan
Wow! What an amazing job you’ve done. You’re a bloody genius RuddyCrazy! This is real old school stuff and probably better than anything you can buy off the shelf. Good on you mate, that’s really well thought out and made.
Cheers -Mr Tee

G'day Guy's,
Well got it cut and fitted up this morning then life got in the way so this weekend I'll burn it all in as I do have a couple of tig welding jobs to do before I can change my caddy over to arc welding.

2jaw.jpg

Now that yellow lifting magnet is supposed to do 200kg's ching kg's that is so it's going to spend it's life getting ferrous metal out of jaw crusher output as for putting metal thru the hammer mill will cause sparks and we don't want that do we. I'm going to make a angled bracket to hold the magnet inline with the output so it will catch everything.
Cheers Bryan

Latest posts