Buying from Temu

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
Have you taken a look at Temu. I have and I've bought stuff like electrical wire, SS ties, water pump, projector, trousers, switches and more for the new van. Mostly the quality seems good, the delivery time is excellent and the selection is great. However they upset me a couple of times and I've made it clear that I'm not happy.

They make offers like "buy $39 worth and get $95 in cupons" which they attach to your account. These coupons can be applied in various sizes depending on the total of your following order. There's a catch. The next time you logon to make a purchase the copons have most likely gone they only last a day or perhaps three. The first time I thought there must have been an error so I got onto the chat and the girl/machine reinstated them so I went ahead and placed my order. The next time, same thing, the cupons had gone. I have two orders in the mail, not yet received and my coupns have expired. This time I made a lot more noise about it. They reissued my cupons but I see it as a big rippoff and told them it was an unfair trading practice therefore illegal in Australia.

I like their prices and their products but I don't like the way they do business.

I’ve purchased a number of items from them, mainly for my bike and a few tools for my workshop. The quality is good enough for the things I’m after especially considering the price and delivery charges. The delivery time is about 2 weeks or less for me in Sydney which is much better then Ali that usually takes in excess of 8 weeks.

I really can’t work out how they could give $95 credit in coupons for a $39 purchase unless it was a promotion with highly conditional use of the coupons for purchases of much larger value.
Cupon offer.jpg

It's just a con to get you to order big then the cupons expire before you get the chance to reorder.

Cupons.jpg

These cupons are issued on Aug 9 and expire Aug 10 and to start with I never woke up on how to access them.

Had seen some ads of theirs & wondered about the "discounts".
Been a few issues here with delivery of Temu parcels. The courier uses a third party & have heard of parcels being "at depot" for weeks.
Think I'll give them a miss. At least I can take things back to Bunnings etc. which leads to another issue - what happens if you need to send something back?

Had seen some ads of theirs & wondered about the "discounts".
Been a few issues here with delivery of Temu parcels. The courier uses a third party & have heard of parcels being "at depot" for weeks.
Think I'll give them a miss. At least I can take things back to Bunnings etc. which leads to another issue - what happens if you need to send something back?
Bunnings is your local Temu distributor.

I've purchased a few of the more knick knacky things off temu, an extra wide brimmed hat, a nylon plastic belt, a folding toothbrush, Tungsten ring etc. and a 2nd order yet to receive; Triplet 30x loop, recharchable headlamp and 100pc 7type automotive retainer clips, aluminium carribeners etc. All pretty knick knacky, nothing expensive or larger (which I'd go to bunnings for too) and if I get what I paid for I'll be pretty happy with it. Yes you absolutely wouldn't expect it to come quickly. I'm in North Queensland, placed order June 24th received July 4th. I don't look at any of the coupon/ gift crap on there, skip, skip etc. But free delivery and overall prices seemed better than what I could see on ebay or amazon for similar or same items. Items as described, nothing more, nothing less. Havent had to send anything back, so cant speak to that. My experience with them has been good but not looking for Gucci, more Kmart 😆😉. Good to hear others experiences on here (good or bad) too. 👍

Buy Local, Buy Australian. (when possible)

Mackka, these days it's impossible to tell. If you're buying online as I do for most things then you have no idea who's running the website. If you do get into a chat then it can be quite obvious at times but when you see Australian stock or Aussie distributor or something similar it tells you nothing. The lack of Government incentives for local manufacture and lack if import tarifs have helped ruin our Australian manufacturing of most products so the horse has bolted.

To manufacture small items at a reasonable price you must produce, and of course sell, huge volumes and we simply don't have to consumer market to support that.

It is a shame that successive governments have let our industries suffer and disappear under concessions granted to “developing“countries.
On one occasion I wanted to buy a product made in Adelaide which was comparable in price to a Chinese made item. The difference was that the Adelaide made product would cost about $10 to ship to me and the Chinese made item about $1.
I actually asked Australia post at the time why the difference as after the Chinese item was landed in the country AP would still have to deliver it to me over an equal or even greater distance than the Adelaide made item. They responded by saying that China was afforded “developing“ status by the international Postal union and that we were bound to give their items virtually free transport within our borders.
Just a simple example of how we in Australia are dudded in international trade.

Unfortunately the Green Shed can't always compete. Bought 4 X valves from eBay delivered in 4 days for price of two from Bunnings. Would have been 4 X cheaper if I was able to collect.
4X valve = $10.48 including delivery: Total: $21.20

View attachment 10802

View attachment 10803
Just to clarify my reference to "Bunnings etc." was in reference to buying cheap items from any locally or Australian based business (Bunnings just one example, Kmart another good one) in order to highlight the issue of sending things back to China if required.
Hawkear hits the nail on the head above. Items coming in from China have cheap postage costs due to subsidies. If you need to send anything back the return postage often makes it not worth the cost i.e. item delivered here can be cheaper than the cost of return postage.
Wasn't suggesting that Bunnings are always the best option or even the cheapest. I often compare to eBay, Amazon etc. & look for things with at least an Aussie supplier/distributor.

Latest posts