From zero to hero with DetectingSA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, keep em coming. It's good to watch those new to the hobby develop their skills and venture out to explore new areas. Personally I've detected a fair chunk of sites around Adelaide in the past, though would love to revisit them again now I am a much better detectorist. :|

Well, I took a rostered day off from work today to get some 'tecting time in. I was at my usual
Silver park for just under two hours when two council workers approached me and gave me a warning and kicked me out of the park.

Man I'm so pissed, I have been doing really small plugs and putting any dirt on a towel and filling in the holes really well and stomping down the plug again really well once I was done, it was literally undetectable.

1517536881_img_3528.jpg

Scored a few goldies before I was unceremoniously removed

I just called the council, and apparently digging isnagainst their bylaws and I would need to apply for formal permissions to metal detect. So I wrote up a whole email about historical value this, minimal damage that. Blah
Blah blah. Worth a shot but I'm 99% sure they'll say no.

What a waste of a day off :N:

What council area are you doing because i have been stopped by council workers before n show em my screw driver (never use a trowel) and what im doing and they just say your airating the lawn. I keep off the manicured parts so as not to upset anyone.Im doing a lot in Marion area
DetectingSA said:
Well, I took a rostered day off from work today to get some 'tecting time in. I was at my usual
Silver park for just under two hours when two council workers approached me and gave me a warning and kicked me out of the park.

Man I'm so pissed, I have been doing really small plugs and putting any dirt on a towel and filling in the holes really well and stomping down the plug again really well once I was done, it was literally undetectable.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/11609/1517536881_img_3528.jpg

Scored a few goldies before I was unceremoniously removed

I just called the council, and apparently digging isnagainst their bylaws and I would need to apply for formal permissions to metal detect. So I wrote up a whole email about historical value this, minimal damage that. Blah
Blah blah. Worth a shot but I'm 99% sure they'll say no.

What a waste of a day off :N:

No laws or bylaws at our local Council to stop anyone detecting parks or reserves in my area and as long as there are no holes they are happy....So if ever I got stopped by a council worker/parks vic I will tell them to ring the local council...

It's city of Marion council, I've been using the plug method but keeping them really small, Not going for anything more than 10cm, putting the dirt on a towel and replacing the plug and have kept it really neat.

The grass is quite poorly maintained it's just dirt in places and mostly yellow so I'm kind of annoyed really, I'm not causing any trouble or doing any damage.

Not sure who dobed me in, I've had only friendly interactions with the locals, most are pretty interested in what I'm doing.
I'm always polite and treat everyone with respect, noones even suggested maybe I should be doing this.

I'll wait and see what the council say, apparently it's not against bylaws in some councils according to the lady from the council I spoke to.

Might have to find somewhere else, the council aren't going to give me permission.

DetectingSA said:
It's city of Marion council, I've been using the plug method but keeping them really small, Not going for anything more than 10cm, putting the dirt on a towel and replacing the plug and have kept it really neat.

The grass is quite poorly maintained it's just dirt in places and mostly yellow so I'm kind of annoyed really, I'm not causing any trouble or doing any damage.

Not sure who dobed me in, I've had only friendly interactions with the locals, most are pretty interested in what I'm doing.
I'm always polite and treat everyone with respect, noones even suggested maybe I should be doing this.

I'll wait and see what the council say, apparently it's not against bylaws in some councils according to the lady from the council I spoke to.

Might have to find somewhere else, the council aren't going to give me permission.

They may give you permission but within certain guidelines, never over till the fat lady sings... Or until you get a Yes/No! I know the pun but it was all I could come up with in the short time I had to right this. :)

Well, I went to another park in a different zone for the continuation of hunt #20

It was a lot more trashy than I've been doing, lots of tricky nice sounding signals turned out to be junk:

1517558172_img_3534.jpg

But I did come home with a bunch of 1c/2c, my very first half penny and another penny both pretty badly twisted. I nice big button, few keys and a heart locket chain which I'm saying is trash, doesn't look silver and can't find any markings. And half a port Adelaide football club memebers medal, I know they're playing bad, but geez :eek:

1517558172_img_3533.jpg

No reply from my council yet, wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even reply. And they're supposed to work for me :rolleyes:

Heatho said:
Nice work, that chain looks like it could be silver, sometimes hallmarks can be really hard to find.

Good eye, I actually think it might be silver, it says STGSIL = sterling silver?

1517560052_img_3537.jpg

In that case,

1517560085_img_3539.jpg

:D

I'm going to sneak back to my silver park tonight and do the last 20 square meter section I have left then be done with that place

Latest posts