From zero to hero with DetectingSA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something different today, just put the dry rub (chili, mustard, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, brown sugar) on 5 racks of pork ribs to sit for 24-36 hours so the flavour can penetrate the meat ready for a 6 hour smoking on Friday :Y:

1516798362_img_3472.jpg

I tend to get a lot of 1c & 2c coins in the areas that hold pre decs, so it is a good thing. :Y: Also 60% of them seem to be 1966, first year of decimal. They sell for anywhere between $1 & $15 on ebay, so it's much better than hunting goldies. :D

I have a pro find and it does the same as your carrot, once the target has been extracted it still gives off a more mellow and slower signal. This is called the halo effect, over time the minute particles of the metal seeps into the surrounding soil, and it is this residue the pointer is picking up, Always double check with the detector before back filling or closing the hole. :)

DetectingSA said:
High off my first silver I went back to the same park for hunt #14 before the dark chased me out (suggestions for a good quality head torch guys? My vision is quite poor in low light so it has to be a good'n, nice and bright with a good range (I'm 6"2))

Got a few coins and my first set (half a set? :p ) of keys

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/11609/1516617666_img_3442.jpg

This park is absolutely covered in 1c/2c coins and nearly no moderns

Also, I've noticed my Garrett carrot seems to be playing up a little bit, it will help me locate my target but then it will signal other targets in the hole, I'll then swing over the spot with my 'tecta and it can't pick up anything? It's only started do it today, I've not tried carrying on digging for the phantom target that may or may not exist. Also when I touch the sides of the pointer around the edge of the hole it nearly signals in every direction in most cases, and also it will signal if "submerged" in dirt? Is this normal? Have I got it set wrong? Or is she playing up and wanting to be sent back to Garrett

Cheers!

Secret Squirrels said:
I tend to get a lot of 1c & 2c coins in the areas that hold pre decs, so it is a good thing. :Y: Also 60% of them seem to be 1966, first year of decimal. They sell for anywhere between $1 & $15 on ebay, so it's much better than hunting goldies. :D

I have a pro find and it does the same as your carrot, once the target has been extracted it still gives off a more mellow and slower signal. This is called the halo effect, over time the minute particles of the metal seeps into the surrounding soil, and it is this residue the pointer is picking up, Always double check with the detector before back filling or closing the hole. :)

DetectingSA said:
High off my first silver I went back to the same park for hunt #14 before the dark chased me out (suggestions for a good quality head torch guys? My vision is quite poor in low light so it has to be a good'n, nice and bright with a good range (I'm 6"2))

Got a few coins and my first set (half a set? :p ) of keys

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/11609/1516617666_img_3442.jpg

This park is absolutely covered in 1c/2c coins and nearly no moderns

Also, I've noticed my Garrett carrot seems to be playing up a little bit, it will help me locate my target but then it will signal other targets in the hole, I'll then swing over the spot with my 'tecta and it can't pick up anything? It's only started do it today, I've not tried carrying on digging for the phantom target that may or may not exist. Also when I touch the sides of the pointer around the edge of the hole it nearly signals in every direction in most cases, and also it will signal if "submerged" in dirt? Is this normal? Have I got it set wrong? Or is she playing up and wanting to be sent back to Garrett

Cheers!

Ooo not bad, I'm not sure which year most of mine are because they're so cached with dirt :D it doesn't matter if you clean the coppers then?

That makes sense with the 'halo' effect then I guess, what a pain in the ass :D

Whisp said:
DetectingSA said:
Something different today, just put the dry rub (chili, mustard, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, brown sugar) on 5 racks of pork ribs to sit for 24-36 hours so the flavour can penetrate the meat ready for a 6 hour smoking on Friday :Y:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/11609/1516798362_img_3472.jpg

Looks like spam

I think you need your eyes tested old mate :D

Put in a solid 2-3 hour effort today in my silver park for hunt #17

Here's everything; one of he best condition pennies I've found so far, my first ever button, and a 52 shilling :D this ones a George, my other shilling I found was a lizzy so that's cool :D still only a 50%er but silvers silver baby!

1517016388_img_3490.jpg

Cleaned her up abit, strange dots on the back though, almost looks like mold. I'll have to get the lemon juice out later and see what I can do:

1517016461_img_3491.jpg

1517016461_img_3492.jpg

4 silvers and counting :D :D :D

Those dots on poor georges face won't budge, it feels like maybe they're very small pits in the coin. Can't quite tell but they won't budge, owell!

Freckle faced George is better than no George :lol:

I love your score card DetectingSA.

You seem to be spending a fair bit of time on this aditicion so I guess it's a good one. Considering there's no known cure I suggest you get a second detector for your missus otherwise you might return to a locked door :lol:

Poor George has had his head in the sand for the last 65 yrs so it's not surprising that he's showing the effects a bit :eek:

Moneybox said:
I love your score card DetectingSA.

You seem to be spending a fair bit of time on this aditicion so I guess it's a good one. Considering there's no known cure I suggest you get a second detector for your missus otherwise you might return to a locked door :lol:

Poor George has had his head in the sand for the last 65 yrs so it's not surprising that he's showing the effects a bit :eek:

I'm starting to get a few on the board these days :D if the rain stops after work tonight I'll be back out there :Y:

I've suggested it a few times actually, but she doesn't see the allure of digging in the dirt for coins like I do :lol:
I know if she gave it ago she'd be interested, I mean what's not to love :D but getting her out there is another story :lol:

We're planning a camping trip shortly(not for the purpose of detecting, just a Nice byproduct :D), she won't have much else to do so she might be forced to try -evil laugh- :D

I am luckier than most, my detecting partner is my 13yr old daughter 'Kato', she has it a lot worse than me and has detected since the age of 2yrs.

She actually gets anxious if she has not had a swing for more than 5 days, her last find a few days ago was a chain with 3 rings on it :eek: , loves history
and finding pre-decs. Spendables she has jars full of them.
So we get our 'fix' together.

Some addictions are good, we have a bond much tighter than people would believe, even her Mum is jealous and surprised.
Kato swings a CTX3030 now, me still on the Ace250. :lol: :lol:

We might bump into each other in a park some time, we roam very widely.
:Y:

I snuck out after work for hunt #18 for about an hour before dinner tonight.

It was raining the whole time, that annoying light rain but Better than 38 degrees :D

Everything. $2, 10c, 2c, one of those copper plates you use as a kid to learn to solder on and a nice surprise
Little broach

1517218119_img_3507.jpg

1517218118_img_3506.jpg

It rang up as an 86 which is what my slivers have come up as so I thought I was in for another one, but still it's a nice little keeper.

It says Leo at the top so I guess it's some star sign rubbish :p

Cheers! See you again next hunt (likely tomorrow :D :D )

Got out again after work tonight for hunt #19

One of my best hunts in terms of volume of coins, no silvers though. I did however find a car door (never throught I'd say that) :D

1517304026_img_3518.jpg

My copper pile is growing by the hunt

See you tomorrow for hunt #20, I'm about 1-2 good hunts from thoroughly covering my silver park and will have to move on

Cheers :Y:

Latest posts