Frog ID

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Occasional_panner said:
Ramjet said:
Interesting topic. Our company wanted to by land to build a rail yard. It was during the initial studies that they found some rarish breed of frog. Killed the whole deal.
Another similar thing was that they used to weed spray our yards but have stopped it a few years ago. Not because the chemicals are bad for us, I'm sure they are, but because of potential harm to wildlife such as frogs, small birds etc. To be fair the rail yard is built on the edge of a HUGE mangrove area which is a breeding area for all types of wildlife and sea life.

Putting my Mods hat on now. Please stay on topic and keep the politics out of it. Thanks.

LOL stay on topic???, take a look at your first paragraph. LOL

Re frogs, I was at a customers house and she was part of some frog group. She told me if you build a suitable pond for them one will appear.
I said where from, the sky? She said dunno, they seem to find it though. Next time I saw her she proudly said she had a frog. I wasn't interested enough to look at it though. :|

My 2nd sentence mentioned rare frogs? I believe frogs are the topic of the OP??? Sometimes being a Mod you can NEVER be right. Luckily I have thick skin.... like a frog. I honestly have missed whatever you are referring to???????????????????????

I have to agree wholeheartedly with RM Outbacks views. These studies become statistics and we all know that statistics can be twisted to suit an agenda by anyone with a vested interest in supporting a preconcieved outcome. Ive also been involved with trying to stop landlockouts for prospectors during the box ironbark forrests investigation. I can say from first hand experience that the outcome was decided upon from the start all the Box ironbark investigation commitee needed was some nice statistics to back up their views. In the case of box ironbark when the numbers didnt quite stack up they started inventing non existant eco tourism industrys to replace the ones they were about to destroy. :( I could write a long essay on some of the stunts pulled by greens Parks Vic Laccies but its not good to open old wounds. :mad:

Back on topic to frogs. This is our pet green tree frog that we rescued a couple of years back when he lost his r/h front leg after a sheet of corrugated iron fell on him.

First pic is the day it happened, second is 2 years later - I call him 'tripod' and we will probably be looking after him for anywhere up to 15 years.

1542189340_dreibein_01a_5.3.16.jpg

1542189393_dreibein_16b_15.3.18.jpg

Jeff

Hello all, my mum used to say to me when I was younger:: ' people don't like to change, some still live in the past no matter what you say or do'
in order to survive the present and the future, you should adapt to changes or you will be left behind, today greens will be reds tomorrow, the world changes and people can change too'- get out of the darkness and go out to the light ' every day when you wake up, live that day through new eyes and new beliefs, imagine new visions, nothing stay the same or should stay the same' - this is my mum notions on life, I adopted them too, I am sharing them with you, hope this helps someone. cheers :D

snafu said:
Back on topic to frogs. This is our pet green tree frog that we rescued a couple of years back when he lost his r/h front leg after a sheet of corrugated iron fell on him.

First pic is the day it happened, second is 2 years later - I call him 'tripod' and we will probably be looking after him for anywhere up to 15 years.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1252/1542189340_dreibein_01a_5.3.16.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ages/1252/1542189393_dreibein_16b_15.3.18.jpg

Jeff

:Y: now that's cool :cool: :) well done snafu :trophy:.

A lovely outlook on life lilyane :perfect:
I've taped three different frog species tonight around my semi-urban dam and garden pond.
Listening to them helps me sleep at night.
We also get them in the letterbox (which is embedded into my stone driveway rock pillars) - they are darlings!
One type that I call the F#*k Off frog (cause that's what it's deep throated call sounded like when I first heard it), is missing - I think later in Summer - I hope!
Don't get me wrong here though, I also strongly support the Bush User Groups United (BUGU) in their struggle to maintain bush access for us all.
I just don't see a conflict.

snafu said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1252/1542189340_dreibein_01a_5.3.16.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ages/1252/1542189393_dreibein_16b_15.3.18.jpg

Jeff
Mate that's awesome. He looks as though he put on some weight. :)
We catch the moths and hand feed some of the ones that hang around the back door.They take half of your finger as well as the moth... :Y:

snafu said:

Jeff

Funny things those green tree frogs.
The ones here in Darwin have a life expectancy of 50 years!
My dog has a pet one! Lol.
Last 2 years, she catches it, usually near her water bowl, takes it out on the grass gently in her mouth, nudges it with her nose until it hops, and she jumps around barking at it until it stops. Then she nudges it with her nose and repeats....after a while, I check on it, back in or near her water bowl!

That's amazing Dave.
Clever dog or frog or both.
BTY, on my recent travels I heard that some birds have learned to flip cane toads over and eat them from their underside.
Is this true? If so, nature (not humans) may have found a way to control these bastards!

snafu said:

Jeff

Funny things those green tree frogs.
The ones here in Darwin have a life expectancy of 50 years!
My dog has a pet one! Lol.
Last 2 years, she catches it, usually near her water bowl, takes it out on the grass gently in her mouth, nudges it with her nose until it hops, and she jumps around barking at it until it stops. Then she nudges it with her nose and repeats....after a while, I check on it, back in or near her water bowl!

BigWave said:
That's amazing Dave.
BTY, on my recent travels I heard that some birds have learned to flip cane toads over and eat them from their underside.
Is this true? If so, nature (not humans) may have found a way to control these bastards!
True big wave , crows have learnt how to eat cane toads by flipping them over . Some snakes have become immune to their poison and will target them as a food item and also a species of ant that hang around water holes in the north of the country will eat the young cane toads also when they first hop out of the water , and the northern quoll and some species of goanas has learnt how to avoid them in some areas .

Danny13 said:
BigWave said:
That's amazing Dave.
True big wave , crows have learnt how to eat cane toads by flipping them over . Some snakes have become immune to their poison and will target them as a food item and also a species of ant that hang around water holes in the north of the country will eat the young cane toads also when they first hop out of the water , and the northern quoll and some species of goanas has learnt how to avoid them in some areas .

Studies conducted by the CSRIO some years back found that birds were not affected by cane toad poison. They fed more than 40 toads to a chook over a period of days and the old hen lined up for more. A relatively tame kookaburra that visits my place will quite often gobble down a toad with no ill effects. The only reason a crow flips a toad over is due to the belly being the softest part with the tastiest bits. I've watched them do the same with green tree frogs. Crows are smart birds.

I'm pretty sure that the Territory Wildlife Park have been running a program to teach northern quolls to avoid the toads by feeding them low doses of minced toad flesh with an additive that causes nausea so that eventually the quolls will not view toads as a food source and it will be passed on to future generations. It appears to be working.

Jeff

My dogs find the dried out toads that my son shoots with his bb.Then they rub them selves all over the carcus... then eat it..WTF......Drug addict dogs. :(

Latest posts