What does a Detecting History freak do for kicks ??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Kato is the go to for researching historical items and places, in this house,
NO doubt because of her many finds and where she finds them, then researches what, why, who, when.

Through this Covid thing she has become an A++ grade student, not even at school, she is in the top 7 kids of the high school.
Written papers on SA history that she has been asked to attempt to get published, another 3 Subject teachers want to use her work
to demonstrate to current and future students what is required - she completed these works before the assignments were set in Class.

What does she do for kicks ?

This Term they are meant to write a paper on Volunteer Work and how to go about doing it.

She completed this mid last term, and applied for volunteer work with the local Council library, was happily accepted as she had already
established a track record there, but had to wait until she was 16yrs (about 4 weeks ago), been there since in spare time.
For those that use TROVE, https://trove.nla.gov.au/
You may be looking at her work as you research.

BUT, she also applied to State Records (part of the Attorney Generals Department) and has spent a healthy part of her holidays working there
and now continuing with online work - she loves the tactile part of holding the almost 200yr old records while she prepares them for
Catalogues and digital records - the history is interesting and often pretty sad as her current project is dealing with Records of Children in
very hard circumstances.
Apparently there are over 95km's of shelves with paper records, tape recordings photo's, files, movies and everything in between.

Going to try to get her onto archaeological work with a University. Any help from Forum members would be appreciated.

Kids, what are they good for ?? :rolleyes:

Kato is obviously a very intelligent and motivated young lady. I use Trove quite a bit in my family research, so thanks Kato!

It's amazing, the amount of records that have been kept over the past 200+ years here, and 95kms of shelves is a hell of a lot of records!

Wish I could help with the university archaeology work, unfortunately, I can't - hopefully someone on the forum can - but I wish Kato all the best in her future endeavours.

Cheers,
Megsy

Greenhornet_au said:
Kato is the go to for researching historical items and places, in this house,
NO doubt because of her many finds and where she finds them, then researches what, why, who, when.

Through this Covid thing she has become an A++ grade student, not even at school, she is in the top 7 kids of the high school.
Written papers on SA history that she has been asked to attempt to get published, another 3 Subject teachers want to use her work
to demonstrate to current and future students what is required - she completed these works before the assignments were set in Class.

What does she do for kicks ?

This Term they are meant to write a paper on Volunteer Work and how to go about doing it.

She completed this mid last term, and applied for volunteer work with the local Council library, was happily accepted as she had already
established a track record there, but had to wait until she was 16yrs (about 4 weeks ago), been there since in spare time.
For those that use TROVE, https://trove.nla.gov.au/
You may be looking at her work as you research.

BUT, she also applied to State Records (part of the Attorney Generals Department) and has spent a healthy part of her holidays working there
and now continuing with online work - she loves the tactile part of holding the almost 200yr old records while she prepares them for
Catalogues and digital records - the history is interesting and often pretty sad as her current project is dealing with Records of Children in
very hard circumstances.
Apparently there are over 95km's of shelves with paper records, tape recordings photo's, files, movies and everything in between.

Going to try to get her onto archaeological work with a University. Any help from Forum members would be appreciated.

Kids, what are they good for ?? :rolleyes:

If she gets in to an archaeological course she will have to volunteer to do field work ( Digs ) which is mostly unpaid work, Working in the Heat Rain Mud and Snow, If She is thinking of getting in to a Uni over here I can get her on a few Sites where She will find stuff up to 10,000 years old and older and there is a big archaeological scene over here so the sky's the limit if She wants to put in the time,

I wish her luck, :Y:

Latest posts