foot valves on Honda WX 15 suction hose

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi peepil

those among you who use the honda WX15 pump , did you chuck away the standard strainer on the suction hose and use one with a foot valve ?

i test ran my rig today and had trouble getting the pump to stay primed , so going to chase up a strainer tomorrow that has a foot valve built in to it to see if that helps

I was running 6 metres of suction hose with half a metre of head but the pump spec states it will handle 6 metres of suction head so it should eat that

Never had that problem with mine, I run a 3m suction hose with a standard plastic strainer and usually run from 1/2 to 1m head. Was the pump fully primed ??

Cheers Wal.

Have not had that problem with the honda (we just use the strainer in a bucket) but have with our bigger pump, as the pumps check valve got a bit sticky at one stage.

Just learnt about how to deal with this in fire fighting training, :cool:

I recommend checking the seal on the primer cap as well as the intake port, also check your suction line for any possible air leaks (cracks or even slight punctures from cat heads) contrary to popular belief, if a suction hose has a leak you won't see water coming out as the hose is under negative pressure caused by the pump.

Also have you attached a float to the end of your suction hose to keep it off the bottom? If its on the bottom it can block up the filter and as soon as the pump de primes the blockage falls away creating all kinds of confusion... Not to mention its better for your pump as less silt gets into the impella

Exactly what Garnet said, if your suction line is leaking the pump won't stay primed. Some pumps will still work but lose a lot of suction, especially over 6 metres. Out of interest service station Diesel pumps will not pump even if there is the slightest air leak, where as petrol ones will, only with a tiny leak though. Different pumps will behave in different ways with a tiny suction leak, but most will fail to pump. Over such a long suction line distance you'll need the foot valve to keep it primed if you stop pumping.

This has driven me mad on numerous occasions, we'd always have a pressure test rig with us so it was pretty easy to find the leak.

WalnLiz said:
Never had that problem with mine, I run a 3m suction hose with a standard plastic strainer and usually run from 1/2 to 1m head. Was the pump fully primed ??

Cheers Wal.

i primed it a few times but it would just spit a bit of water then nothing again . tried filling the suction hose with water too then drop the end in to a full bucket at ground level and then it did pump properly for a few seconds then went back to spitting out little surges of water , i expected better than this

i checked the camlock fittings all have their seals and they are a perfect tight fit to lock up

i can see the non return valve is still there inside the suction port

will check it out again today to see if the priming cap seal is missing .

:/

I know it's an old topic but I'm just wondering how you went with it HeadsUp?

i was being impatient

these pumps will self prime without filling the pump with water but it takes about 30 - 40 seconds

once it tastes water in its guts it just goes ballistic

as far as the suction intake filter goes , i now use one that has no foot valve and the pump likes it so much it put me on its christmas card list.

refer platypus , low profile suction filter for shallow water situations . the large area each side prevents blockages from weed or algae

1394455095_platypus.jpg

Clamps all sorted and was able to fire the Walbanker up for the first time today, I'm happy to say no leaks :D

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/_WSSHVNdMOM[/video]

I had the pump running on low throttle during the video so I didn't disturb the neighbours.

1394523439_walbanker_test_run.jpg

I would. :)
If you wish to shut down anticipating to see your riffles yellow, It would save you possibly having to re-prime the pump.
I am aware that these pumps have a flapper valve installed in the suction side but it would be best-ust to have one in under the pick up filter.
It is common practice. :) :) :)
I know I will especially if I am pushing over 10 to 15 meters up hill.

Tathradj said:
I would. :)
If you wish to shut down anticipating to see your riffles yellow, It would save you possibly having to re-prime the pump.
I am aware that these pumps have a flapper valve installed in the suction side but it would be best-ust to have one in under the pick up filter.
It is common practice. :) :) :)
I know I will especially if I am pushing over 10 to 15 meters up hill.

The WX15 only handles around 6 metres suction head from memory but i got rid of foot valves due to the pressure drop and therefore loss of pressure head

even without a foot valve the pump will reprime within 2 - 4 seconds once it has a belly full in the wet end

Nugget said:
Clamps all sorted and was able to fire the Walbanker up for the first time today, I'm happy to say no leaks :D

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/_WSSHVNdMOM[/video]

I had the pump running on low throttle during the video so I didn't disturb the neighbours.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3/1394523439_walbanker_test_run.jpg

Oops, I posted this in the wrong topic :8

Anyway.. Priming was no problem, a few quick jigs of the suction hose and the pump was ready to go.

Latest posts