Fittings, Layflat, Suction hose for Highbankers..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yass00_Au

Ross
Reaction score
G'day guys,

With the AUD declining against the Greenback this week I decided to have squiz at the American retailers and get in quick before we start declining further and see if I could save some money while the pickings where good and they where.. No Duty or GST on goods brought in under AUD $1000 providing it's not booze or ciggies..

See bellow as these guys where the cheapest..

http://www.speedwaysales.com/water-pumps-c-787.html?osCsid=1724cbaacc10994c0101c74c31dbcac6

Honda WX15 - USD $480..

Delivery to Australia - USD $105..

So once pump arrives I need to sort out fittings, layflat and suction hose lengths for highbanker. I have been trawling the net since yesterday but was wondering what you guys use and where you bought it?

Please feel free to post pics and brag hard :p

Cheers,

Ross

If you know someone in your local CFA, perhaps ask if they have any decomissioned hose.
They get holes in them, get damaged etc.
10m of hose is useless to them...

G'day

On my lay flat I use a cam lock fittings on the pump and hose, same on the intake hose for quick connection once it's primed. On hose joins I use alloy Storz bits. Easy, quick and failsafe

Cheers

Chimpy

Ag Man said:
If you know someone in your local CFA, perhaps ask if they have any decomissioned hose.
They get holes in them, get damaged etc.
10m of hose is useless to them...

Hi Ag Man,

Unfortunately I do not know anyone in the local CFA although their layflat would be ideal for dragging around over the banks and rocks being HD reinforced canvas as I am a little heavy handed on the tools I have been told :)

shivan said:
That's a great price for that pump, we paid close to AU$700 for ours and that was talked down a bit :/

Hi Shivan,

When did you buy a Honda WX15 for $700? At least you have warranty which I wont have as an import but its all good.. I have trawled the net and made phone calls and best I found was Sydney Tools in Alexandria for $799 so for the price I paid as an import and saved a few $$ I might buy some better quality fittings or longer layflat hose to cut up, what you save on something you spend elsewhere which is all good..

backcreek said:
Hay Yass00-Au,
I use this guy for my fittings and layflat.
His name is Ben and if he doesn't have what you want listed just ask him and he will list it for you.
Express shipping usually within a couple of days and he has 100% feedback.
http://myworld.ebay.com.au/connect_industrial?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Cheers
Mick

G'day Mick,

Yeah I emailed these Hose Warehouse eBay guys http://stores.ebay.com.au/hosewarehouse over the weekend and how good are these guys with prices? Really good! And reply email was enthusiastic and informative.. Love dealing with people like that and you tend to spend more in those places where you feel happy and comfortable to part with those hard earned $$ ;) Not to mention guys you have the advantage to BIN items and carry on carting items into one parcel for one shipping cost.. Guy's name was Matt who replied email.

I liked these guys too http://www.hoseonline.com.au/ as I could see prices and compare where I could, most other sites make you jump through hoops before your emailed a quoted price :rolleyes:

Chimpy said:
G'day

On my lay flat I use a cam lock fittings on the pump and hose, same on the intake hose for quick connection once it's primed. On hose joins I use alloy Storz bits. Easy, quick and failsafe

Cheers

Chimpy

G'day Chimpy,

100% going for Camlock quick disconnects, just have to figure out which bits for what and how many when pump arrives.. Are the Camlocks sealed at connection or do they spray leak under pressure?

What sort of hose lengths do you guys use?

What combination hose lengths do you have in arsenal?

What quality layflat do you use?

I am thinking of buying either http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PVC-Layf...ing_Agriculture_Equipment&hash=item416eb35b98 or http://www.hoseonline.com.au/Layfla...HDuty-Sunny-Red-Layflat-38mm-per-m-602.htmlin 100mtre roll and cut it up into combinations? I am pretty rough with gear so I am leaning towards the HD stuff or is there no difference with the MD gear?

When Highbanking close to the water source will the WX15 be too agressive at idle? would a 1/4 turn valve be suitable to tame flow?

Yass00_Au,
I have a PVC ball valve on my highbanker which I leave wide open. I find I can throttle my gc150 honda pump down enough to regulate the flow sufficiently.
I only use the ball valve when I'm cleaning up to shut off the water.
Also I haven't glued any of the PVC fittings, all I did was to put a short self tapper through them to stop them blowing apart.
This way I can move things around if necessary out on the river and it doesn't matter if it leaks a tiny bit.

Don't waste your money on the HD layflat, the blue stuff works fine. It is sturdy enough to be driven over which happens all the time at Oallen.

Cheers
Mick

G'day Au,

I've got 2x 30m lengths of cloth covered lay flat with quick couplers. I mostly run a single length and only connect the second hose when working high level washes. A 100m length wouldn't be recommended if your running the wx15, as the pressure loss after 60m becomes marginal to run the banker efficiently. Usually when your 60m or more from the river your testing the head rating of the pump. (flat areas like Oallen Forde are exceptions).

No valves are necessary with the wx15, as the water flow is smooth throughout the full throttle range. Most bankers will run about 1/2 throttle with the wx15. ( my opinions only).

Cheers Wal. :)

G'day

Yass00 the males screw on the pump and female on the hoses. Once you give the cams a quick squeeze they are sealed and don't drip. I don't use them to connect lengths of hose as they are too pricey. The Storz joiners are perfect and can take a knock

Cheers

Chimpy

backcreek said:
Yass00_Au,
I have a PVC ball valve on my highbanker which I leave wide open. I find I can throttle my gc150 honda pump down enough to regulate the flow sufficiently.
I only use the ball valve when I'm cleaning up to shut off the water.
Also I haven't glued any of the PVC fittings, all I did was to put a short self tapper through them to stop them blowing apart.
This way I can move things around if necessary out on the river and it doesn't matter if it leaks a tiny bit.

Don't waste your money on the HD layflat, the blue stuff works fine. It is sturdy enough to be driven over which happens all the time at Oallen.

Cheers
Mick

Hey Mick,

I was running a PVC ball valve on my recirculator but it restricted flow at fully open as the ball valve was half the diameter of its connection so I got rid of it..

I'll be using the black irrigation stuff for the spray bar and elbow so I wont be cementing any of that as its all threaded gear and wont blow out.. I can remember many a time having the PVC bars on my recirculator blow out all over me while adjusting and I'd be cursing and gritting my teeth and to look down and see nothing left in the riffles really pi$$ me right off and have it all flushed out after restating and don't mention all the hours spent classifying grrrrrrr, wont have that problem this time around as I wont be running riffles only bakers tray like Wal uses so see how I go..

Yeah I guess the blue layflat will do then if its driven over and still holds up :)

Cheers,

Ross

WalnLiz said:
G'day Au,

I've got 2x 30m lengths of cloth covered lay flat with quick couplers. I mostly run a single length and only connect the second hose when working high level washes. A 100m length wouldn't be recommended if your running the wx15, as the pressure loss after 60m becomes marginal to run the banker efficiently. Usually when your 60m or more from the river your testing the head rating of the pump. (flat areas like Oallen Forde are exceptions).

No valves are necessary with the wx15, as the water flow is smooth throughout the full throttle range. Most bankers will run about 1/2 throttle with the wx15. ( my opinions only).

Cheers Wal. :)

Hiya Wal,

Only reason I was wanting a 100mtr as to cut it up in different combos but 60mtrs sounds reasonable reagrding pressure loss.. Might cut it into 1x10mtr, 1x20mtr and 1x30mtr..

lots to think about but more importantly I cant wait for a test run when HB is up and running :)

Chimpy said:
G'day

Yass00 the males screw on the pump and female on the hoses. Once you give the cams a quick squeeze they are sealed and don't drip. I don't use them to connect lengths of hose as they are too pricey. The Storz joiners are perfect and can take a knock

Cheers

Chimpy

G'day Chimpy,

Yeah I like the sound of that so i'll be going with that combo..

Thanks for your input..

Ross

Hi guys , i buy a fair bit of industrial supplies for my business

If you want to compare pricing for pumps check out Austec irrigation compared with pricing from your other sources

and for hose and fittings , camlocks etc try BAT Industrial in Blacktown , NSW

good luck peepil

Hey guys,

My Honda WX 15 arrived earlier this week, I bought layflat discharge house 2 X 30 mtrs and camlock fittings for connections and might use an off cut PVC pipe as an hose joiner clamped when needed..

For suction hose I went to Bunnings for unslotted ribbed transfer hose but they don't stock 38mm (50mm minimum), went on to eBay and most stuff is on rolls of 20mtrs for air seeder, PVC, PVC ribbed, rubber, food suction hose, grey suction ribbed and the names go on! Cheapest by the mtr I found was http://www.hoseonline.com.au/PVC-Suction-Hose/Grey-Suction-Hose/PVC-Grey-Suction-38mm-per-mtr.html

What are you guys using as suction hose and what lengths do you carry? I know it depends on where you are pumping from and the shorter the better pump performance is.. I found this old vacuum cleaner in a pile of rubbish with ribbed hose attached about 3mtrs long and thought it could be useful down the track.. I find myself scanning while I am driving for bits and pieces on the side of the road and even down lane ways where people dump stuff, it is bordering obsessive compulsive :eek:

Cheers,

Ross

Chimpy said:
G'day

Cheers

Chimpy

Guys,
I just priced some PVC camlock fittings from Blackwoods and they range from $4-00 for a 1 1/2 male to $14-00 for a 1 1/2 Female hosetail.
The PVC are not as robust as the alloy but with a bit of care I reckon they will last OK.

Richard

Latest posts