First time panning, sluicing NSW. where to go?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got home about 7.30. Exhausted, sore and satisfied.
Only had a couple hours at Tuena as her majesty choose today to sleep in 8.(
Ran a few buckets through the Mackirk. Quick look in the first clean out saw 2 pickers and flour gold.
That's only a quarter cup of fines at clean up. :D
The rest I just put in a bucket to sort later. Hoping for a good result.
Then I dug and classified a couple more buckets to bring home to process.
All up a great few days. Thanks for all the encouragement and advice.
Special thanks to Nugget and Prospecting Australia for the awesome sluice.
Also to headbut for the direction and advice. Thanks Paul.
Report on the results when go through it all.
Did I mention I'm sore ;)

Glad you had a good trip away Rod :)

Question I like to ask after someones been away...

What bit of equipment or tools did you find you needed but didnt have at the time? Or thought would have been usefull?

Great Question farmer. Buckets, take more buckets :)
I was shoveling gravel into one, then needed one for the classified material, another to clean out the sluice.
Always seemed to need another one. More to store material in to bring home.
I had a multitude of tools in the car. Had a backpack with small, crevicing tools.
Really only used the shovel, small pick, sieves, buckets and sluice. Oh and trowel to feed the small sluice.
Snuffer bottle, tweezers and pipettes to grab any pickers.
I was only digging gravel tho.

I managed to get black 20L buckets from KMart for $4.99 ea. Not as strong as the white buckets but good enough for the lighter jobs and for making sieves.
I also managed to get small 2L buckets free from Bakers Delight, they get their icing in it and, after buying something, I decided to ask them and they ended up keeping a couple for me which they were happy to give away.
The 10L strong white buckets were at Bunnings for $7 ea and 20L buckets were $9 ea. :)

farmeroz said:
Glad you had a good trip away Rod :)

Question I like to ask after someones been away...

What bit of equipment or tools did you find you needed but didnt have at the time? Or thought would have been usefull?

good question , maybe nugget would move this into a thread of its own ?

things i forgot to take in the past and now make sure i do ?

dustpan and brush for sweeping up the last millimeter of the sand and dust after crevicing , coz thats where most of the gold will be

three different sized trowels for crevicing , 100 mm wide , 75 mm , and 40 mm wide are the ones i ended up with

at least 6 of the 25 litre plastic buckets

6 foot crowbar for moving the big rock thats been hiding my gold for 100 years

basic tools to fix that suction hose foot valve that got jammed up and nearly wasted 6 hours driving time

waders and gumboots

spare gas cylinder for the camp stove :)

Great idea HB. I was going to do a new thread on tools used , forgotten or not needed.
As I was only shoveling, processing gravel my tools were few.
I had lots in the car but not needed this trip.
A part from buckets... Take more buckets.
Oh.. The $8 bunnies sieve a waste. Cracked in the first couple of hours. The home made bucket sieves in various seizes are the go. Mine was about 1cm.

Sorry I couldn't make it Rod

Car turned out to be a fritzed thermostat so only a tiny bill compared to what I thought was coming :D

Took the daughter out to Wee Jasper for two nights still sorting everything out will post a couple of pics once I've finished cleaning cons etc.

Cheers

Col

I have found that the cheap buckets are no good , had 8 , handles have broken on 6 of them. Better off spending on the 20L white bucket with steel handles.
I try to bring everything & keep it in the vehicle, nothing worse than having to go home

Oh & thanks to the guys with the metal detector that found my hose clamp bolt in the creek, as I would have gone home otherwise

Colin&Lee said:
Sorry I couldn't make it Rod

Car turned out to be a fritzed thermostat so only a tiny bill compared to what I thought was coming :D

Took the daughter out to Wee Jasper for two nights still sorting everything out will post a couple of pics once I've finished cleaning cons etc.

Cheers

Col

Glad your costs for the car weren't to bad Col.
Head gasket could have been expensive.
Actually for my first time out I enjoyed being alone.
Not making silly mistakes in front of you pros ;)
Truly enjoyed the peace n quiet.
How's the serenity :D
I could do it every day if it paid living costs. :)
Hope to catch up with you all soon.

headbut said:
I have found that the cheap buckets are no good , had 8 , handles have broken on 6 of them. Better off spending on the 20L white bucket with steel handles.
I try to bring everything & keep it in the vehicle, nothing worse than having to go home

Oh & thanks to the guys with the metal detector that found my hose clamp bolt in the creek, as I would have gone home otherwise

Hey HB

Will you go to panning in next few days (except tue)?I got few buckets from the marine salt I use. They can carry around up to 22kgs I can lend you while we are panning together (I have to take them home as I have to use it for my fishes too...)

Actually not only next few days but if there is a chance we meet up I can bring some over

The trip planned for the 25-27 Oct should be a great chance to meet everyone, learn heaps and chase some colour :) Looking forward to it, should know if I can make it by the end of the week.

Hi Malau , As I am working , can't go week days. Will be there next Saturday tho & thanks for offer, but I have my buckets. Cheers Paul

headbut said:
Hi Malau , As I am working , can't go week days. Will be there next Saturday tho & thanks for offer, but I have my buckets. Cheers Paul

Do you wanna meet up on next sat if I can get some of my friends come with me (just dont want to drive alone for 3 hrs)

the best bucket I have used is the flexible one where the handles fold in I can pack a lot in to them and they are easy to carry don't know the name but will find out and post I use them at work for carrying blue metal a long the sides of houses move a lot with them twice what you can in bucket

Latest posts