First time panning, sluicing NSW. where to go?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Planning on my first exploration trip to try panning, sluicing for gold.
I have pans and small sluice. This trip is just to check out areas for future trips.
As I live in Maitland (Near Newcastle), most places are 4 1/2 to 5 hours away.
Nundle, Teuna, Grabben Gullen, Hill End area, Oalen.. All a similar journey.
Just after some ideas for where to go as a first timer.
Maybe I could have a look at more then one of the southern areas over a few days.
Oh I'll have the detector as well but looking to try panning etc this trip.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Rod

The only two spots i could offer any advice on would be Tuena or Oallen. Man i need to get out more myself ;)
Oallen has extremely fine gold, and should be able to find at least a few specs most places round the crossing, though it can pay to test and look around a bit depending on time. If planning on staying there are no shops in the near bye (probably 30-40 min drive to Braidwood) though the pub at Nerriga did some decent meals last i was in, which is around 15min drive. Probably a better spot for panning sluicing rather than detecting, though i have heard a few storys.

Tuena gold is a little more chunky than at the ford, though seems to be a lot more patchy. In the summer months water drops so it could be hard for a sluice if there has not been any rain, though i think it would be fine at the moment from what others have been saying. If staying there is a shop which has most basics (and beer ;) )
As it is a bit more nuggety out there, it would be a better place for a detector than the ford.

Tuena is still a bit far for me with UNI at the moment but if you end out at the ford at all send me a PM ill see if i can pop out say g'day :cool:

Hi,
Can tell you the river is running ok(as of last week), a bit low but good, just purchased the smallest McKirk sluce got lots of flour gold just upstream of the ford, well 139g worth in two days and $5.60 in coins at the ford, someone camped about 4mts from the road edge on the other side of the ford???????

Bob.

Yo Rod,

Mate I'd probably go Tuena, Grabben Gullen make it a round trip bit of Gold and some gems ;). Let me know if you do head to GG I have two weeks off starting next Monday :D :D :D I'm sure we could tee something up, Lee doesn't need any persuading to head to GG :rolleyes: ;)

Catch ya

Col

Hey RR , go to Tuena, you will get some gold there for sure. Let us know when, as I will come down too. Cheers Paul

NavyBob said:
Hi,
Can tell you the river is running ok(as of last week), a bit low but good, just purchased the smallest McKirk sluce got lots of flour gold just upstream of the ford, well 139g worth in two days and $5.60 in coins at the ford, someone camped about 4mts from the road edge on the other side of the ford???????

Bob.

are you talking about Oallen Forde because the people i spoke to said that 2 days ago it was flooded 2 - 3 metres above the road on the crossing and is supposedly at around 700 mm below the crossing today which would mean that many popular spots at the ford would still be under water

did you mean to write 139 grams ?

:rolleyes:

RJ I'd try Tuena first as we have always got some colour.
If your panning I would walk up the creek a bit away from where most people normally go and have a dig as it has been gone over heaps more. Its ok if you have a high banker as you can go through a lot more material but panning you have to be a bit more selective.
I should be out there next week for a few days with my son and father in law.

Hi,

No sorry not the Oallen ford, one upstream it was done in 1952 on private property , family member. Yes I should have said grams. When we were there the river was not in flood, two weeks ago, sorry not last week, time is going too quickly :8

Family member has issues with people just helping them selves to camp sites, he has called the police a number of times.

Bob.

Hi,
Yes very pleased with the find, we have been going up there for years and not seen a sole, now however we have had everything from tents to a mobile home at the crossing, all uninvited and when you say something to them you are the worst in the world, go figure????
The family own the land on both sides of the crossing and an uncle lives there full time, yes we have signs up at the gates and the gates are locked, it costs a fortune to replace locks all the time! Those that go that way a lot would maybe know Rex?

Bob.

Would be great to have some private land out that way to be able to go for a dig. But you are saying you got 4.5 oz for two days? 139g is around 4.5 oz? Were you moving a lot of material or was it big pieces?

Hi,
we moved a lot of material and yes there was some big chunks. Had four sluices going at once and nine of us working, started around eight am to beer o clock(4pm). Lot of hard work, my legs still ache 8.(

the small scales we have only measure in grams.

Well we may be lucky, you know what it is like with a family trust but myself and an Aunt want to buy everyone else out, if we are successful then I see no reason not to open up to forum members, my Aunt has a gold bug detector and is into gem stone cutting big time. We will need to spend some money on the access road to the farm first, at the moment it is 4x4 drive only.

Bob.

Thats $6300 in 2 days, are you shore its not measuring in grains? 139 grains sounds a lot more like it, Otherwise get in your car asap and get back down there. ;)

Hi Balx,

Yes that is correct 139grams, we had 9 digging and one on each of the four sluices covering just under 1/2km of river. As you say $6300 but that is divided between 13 people(about $490 each).
Bob.

NavyBob said:
Hi Balx,

Yes that is correct 139grams, we had 9 digging and one on each of the four sluices covering just under 1/2km of river. As you say $6300 but that is divided between 13 people(about $490 each).
Bob.
Ahh it all makes sense now, 13 people makes it all clear. Was doing my head in someone had found that much in a 2 days by themselves and was willing to share the area. Even still thats a great area and pretty much a wage even after the split. Wouldnt be to many places with that sort of gold left now days. Well done, we have a group day coming up, finders crossed for 100 grams. haha :)

Hi,
Yes too true but we only go up there three or four times per year, you know can only handle some family members that few times, and when there is a couple of very good storms the gold comes back.

There are many places like this one around, you just need to be in the know.

This place was purchased by the family in 1961 and the farmer who owned it said there was gold in the creek and in the river then, you just have to wonder how many farmers are sitting on mini gold mines now?

Nugget, it is a good way to encourage some family members to loose interest in the property too, good to have the wingers on the shovel and out of ear shot, ha, ha.

Bob.

Latest posts