First time dry Blowing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournutz

Ron
Reaction score
i would like to thank a certain person who may or may not remain nameless i will leave that up to him for taking me dry blowing for the first time a couple of hours of fun in the bush
it was great to see how it all works and to be give tips and tricks on operating the equipment
i had a blast and to top it off we even got a little gold and i mean a little, but to me it was all about the learning and experiance of the day
so to that person i thank you very very much

Ron

Hi Ron,

Dry blowing is addictive mate, once I saw and used one for the first time I was hooked and figured I had to have one as its mostly dry as a cracker. I built my own and works a treat. Are you looking at buying one or making your own? There are a few topics on home made dry blowers on here, both bellows and blower powered which may help you out.

1425937731_photo-0255.jpg

Just to keep you motivated :D

I agree.I went for a trip with my detectors one day with mjb and mjb packed his dry blower.let's just say there was still plenty of battery power on the minelab as it got put back in the car pretty quick once I saw the blower in action :D there an awesome machine and quite addicting. best of luck

yournutz said:
i would like to thank a certain person who may or may not remain nameless i will leave that up to him for taking me dry blowing for the first time a couple of hours of fun in the bush
it was great to see how it all works and to be give tips and tricks on operating the equipment
i had a blast and to top it off we even got a little gold and i mean a little, but to me it was all about the learning and experiance of the day
so to that person i thank you very very much

Ron

was great to finally meet you Ron, i'm sure we would have done better if my fabric wasn't stuffed from being caught in the rain last time. like you said its all about the experience the little bit of gold you got to take home hopefully reminds you of being stuck in ballarat for an hour and half waiting .... waiting.....

Well done GD...I thought you may have had something to do with it ;)

I got spare fabric here if you need it

hey mate thanks for the offer i think ive still got enought for another few cuts. side note your cons ive been drying them out so far used two cans of gas cooking them to reduce weight for shipping :)

MJB said:
Hi Ron,

Dry blowing is addictive mate, once I saw and used one for the first time I was hooked and figured I had to have one as its mostly dry as a cracker. I built my own and works a treat. Are you looking at buying one or making your own? There are a few topics on home made dry blowers on here, both bellows and blower powered which may help you out.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1222/1425937731_photo-0255.jpg

Hi MJB

yeah i think im hooked, which way i go..... make my own or buy one , up in the air at the moment i think a few more discussions with G0lddigg@ might be in order
but i will look at a few plans

yournutz said:
MJB said:
Hi Ron,

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1222/1425937731_photo-0255.jpg

Hi MJB

yeah i think im hooked, which way i go..... make my own or buy one , up in the air at the moment i think a few more discussions with G0lddigg@ might be in order
but i will look at a few plans

Hi G0lddigg@

it was finally time to put a face to the name i agree it only to a visiting yank to get us to gether, lol, waiting, waiting, lol

well good news is i vaccumed the cloth out and it changes colour and i can now breath throught it... didn't realise how bad it was... so turns out you cant just hit it with a glove to clean it up

What angle are you guys running your riffle boxes at? I've got a Keene 140 which I bought secondhand and no instructions. I can't seem to find out what the angle should be.
Rob

really depends on the material mate and your feed rate. you want the material flowing over like water but not too fast. if you ahve lots of largish rocks going through it can weight down the box so you add more angle to clear it out quicker. have a look at trents video here mate

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEoEaaICwPQ[/video]

Thanks for the clip. It doesn't look like he's running too much angle. I guess trial and error equals experience so probably best to just give it a go. The box seems to hang fairly low on these so I might have to extend the legs a bit.

Its pretty important to regularly clear your tailings away and not to forget the blower hose, if this gets too much tailings build up around it it can reduce the vibration/shaking action of the riffle box.

I tend to aim my outfeed into an old pit or shaft that way it creates less work and your refilling someone elses hole at the same time.

Most important to have an even run of material across the width of the riffle box. A two way caravan bubble level is handy, mount it on your blower at home on a level floor, shed, garage or patio. 21 is the optimal angle for the riffle, that is for a bellows blower.
When you get to your patch and set the bubbles you know you have the riffle at correct angle.

Thanks for the feed back MJB and Nightjar. Great idea about the stick on levels.
I managed to get a download of the instruction manual and it says for a blower type box use a starting point of about 15 degrees. A bit less for finer material and a bit more for heavier material.

Latest posts