Far North (Cairns) QLD girl.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody !

I thought I would take the time to introduce myself as I am new here.
My name is Maggie and I have moved to Cairns to study Ecology and Zoology at JCU. Luckily, I got to do some geology classes this year which has helped build my knowledge of the local rock.
I am from Victoria where I mainly panned for a hobby. I found little nuggets and it was fun. My mum has taught me how to read the land and I used to work in mapping so I loveeeeeeeeeeee maps !
The house that I grew up in was brought off the money from my parent's finds back in the late 80's and 90's so I have a great appreciation and love for fossiking.
Anyway. I hear there is gold up in these hills and I'm keen to try it. Actually, I am going to head out this week for the first time here (Cairns). I live in the Northern beaches. If anyone has some tips about the area or where I can and can't go please say gday. I won't post too many questions to begin with because I'll have a read of the existing threads. Ohhh, but I might just add, going up to Laura in a few weeks for a few weeks.... havnt checked out the geology to see what I can find up there but does anyone know what minerals or metals are found up there? I do prefer panning for the fun of it.

Thanks for stopping.

Have a nice day !
:)

Hi Maggie, Welcome to the forum and to the Cairns region!
Head over to see George at the NQ Miners Den on Anderson St and grab yourself a fossicking permit for Qld, you can check out the rules and regulations for prospecting on the Department of Natural Resources and Mines website.
Anywhere other than State Forest or National Park is ok, private property requires the landowners permission as does aboriginal land reserves.
Also a good idea to check if the place you decide to dig has a current mining lease on it.

Maybe take a drive up the range and check out some of the rivers up there, two weeks ago a group of us went and had a pan in the Clohesy R with good results. Check out the posts in the Member Meetups section for more info.
A few of us from around Cairns meet once a month for a coffee and chat then go for a dig after.

Goodluck TGW.

Welcome aboard Maggie. As TGW says. Have a chat to George. Come along to one of the catch ups. Just a word on the rivers up this way. During the wet season they can change dramatically in a short period of time. Dont get caught o the wrong side!

Cheers Tone

Welcome to the forum. Where ever you go take lots of water. I was at Georgetown last week and it was hot as hell.

Latest posts