Ex-pat Yank says g'day!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been teaching English in Thailand for 3 years, and I am from a gold-producing region of the US. In the 1850's, there was a gold rush in the area of Jacksonville, Oregon, which is just north of the California border. People still gather good color with dredges from the Rogue River and there are still sources which have not been located.

I have always wanted to see Australia, and I cannot think of a better way to do so than to walk about with a late model metal detector, shovel, and pick, either in the company of like-minded folk or by my lonesome. Both my grandfather and my father were geologists and I seem to have inherited their fascination with minerals and geological history. I hope to someday soon achieve this dream. To me, this would be an ideal retirement avocation; while teaching has been good fun here in Thailand, as I approach my 60th birthday I find myself longing for quiet open spaces similar to what I remember from the American West.

I wish everyone here much serendipity and propitious timing. May your feet guide you straight to good amounts of gold, and may you all have a lot of fun in the process. Please feel welcome to offer me suggestions about equipment, methods, attitudes, and anything relevant to this journey. Thank you and all the best.

Ah, so this is why the Thai's speak with an American accent. :p .
Welcome to the forum and i don't think you'll be disappointed with what you find here.
Good and luck and fortune to you as well. Where do you intend to do your exploration, state-town-gems or gold.
Let us know and shoot some pics for us to see.
Jaros. :p

Greetings Shine,
As a fellow Yank and member of the forum for a while, I will tell you that you'll meet no finer Aussies than are here collected by the common lust for the yellow. I've received no end of friendly encouragement and help as I prepare for a short visit to the golden triangle the 2nd week of March. Keep posting, and you'll gradually come to know all that is needed for your expedition to be a success. What are your plans? Are you going to make Australia your home, or simply drop by on your way back to the USA, or other parts? I presently hail from Poteau, Oklahoma, the most beautiful part of the Sooner State. Good luck with your plans! :)

Hi Shine
Welcome to the forum family.
I am still a very green newbie so can't help you yet with detecting info. I fully endorse Jaros's and Ezpacer's comments about the value of what's contained within the forum.
My nephew married a lovely lass from California and now lives in Australia.
She said apart from our strange sense of humour, Australians tend to abrieviate a lot.
e.g. Sunglasses say sunnies, Tasmania is Tassie, Australian is Aussie, breakfast is brekkie etc
While my nephew was living in California, he would watch movies such as "The Dish" and "the Castle" laughing his head off while his wife just looked at him strangely.
He is some other info
Car fender we call mudguard, gas we call petrol , car antenna we call car aerial, trunk is boot, hood is bonnet and most importantly, we drive on other side of road.
I'm sure other members will add other differences.
Most of all you will be made very welcome.
Just one thing, NEVER say you are "rooting" for someone; say cheering or supporting. Rooting is a sexual term.

Hi ShineDiggityDo. Welcome to the forum and hope you make it to AUS. I've done a lot of research located 380 miles northeast just north of you - Sumpter, Oregon - of which if all goes well, planning on taking a visit in the near future.

Latest posts