Erlistoun Station - Laverton W.A.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 0.20 cents worth: PLB, GPS and a 5W UHF Handheld (along with the nouse to use each of them) ought to be considered mandatory for anyone with any sense of self-preservation. And the ones that don't then expect everyone else to drop everything and start a search that could have been avoided.

It's telling and a sign of the times that behaviour requiring a post like this has spread far into the Outback.

great post MT I would love to get over there one day and as for high vis I never go into the bush without wearing it makes bloody sence to me if someone is out there with a gun I want them to see me ,dont understand why people try to hide with camo or is that it they think that everyone will steal their secret spot that everyone knows about lol.keep safe Steve and have a good season hope you dont have to put up with too much :poop: this year .PP

As for Camo wearing people, my personal opinion is that some people think of it as -

work wear in the bush

weekend warrior, therefore camo clothes

a form of outdoor uniform

past or current military service

hunt with it, so detect with it

Just about wear it EVERY day ( I used to, I was 18 then )

deliberately dont want to be seen so well

And a few other reasons.

BUT the more mature person thinks of visibilty in case of injury, becoming lost, seeing/finding each other and/or shared use area's like bush walking and hunting.

Detecting is very much like hunting and because you venture into places not well known, you have to be responsible
enough to be able to save your own bum, someone else and to make it as easy as possible to be recovered in case of a search and rescue.

Notifications, checkin times, mapped zones, Sat phones, PLB's, GPS, UHF close comms, first aid kit, more than adequate water, fire source, survival blanket, and FOOD
Map reading skills and a compass, some GOOD basic bush skill and survival training.
A list of this with a station owner too.

A lot of this is so easy to get and not expensive compared to your hobby costs and your life, can save your bum and make it easy to recover you.
A car doesnt fix it, if it dont work.

AND I am sure property owners/managers like MT would welcome visitors half as prepared as above.

Sadly it is so simple to achieve. You dont need it all but some of my list is not negotiable on 1,000,000 acres of country, tropical or dry red desert.
Scouting Motto - BE PREPARED, I never forget it.

I have camo's but,
They are " reverse " patterns and colors.
The main ones I wear are not designed for the Australian Bush.
They are snow white and black, Being made out of cotton are terrific on a hot day..
and stick out like a sore thumb in the bush and open country.
But are confusing to an animal.

Different story in the snow along a tree line.
That is what they are designed for and also the reason why I chose them.
Very visible.

I normally don't wear them unless I have to.
They are the last line of clothes when the rest are way
too dirty. :8

I do have dark shirts but when I am in a known hunting area or heavy bush
by myself, I wear light visible clothing.
Back in my shooting days I have lined up a few people in the scope that should
not have been where they were.
I never curled my finger around the trigger until I was sure of my shot. Always
rested it along the trigger guard.

Excellent post and kudos to you for taking the time to write it .

Luv The passion and bloke to bloke no nonsense rights & wrongs .

I hope you are there Steve for many years to come

Bucket lister for me also ..!

We are leaving for W.A. at the start of june and will be at Earlistoun somewere between mid june to the end of july. I will keep you up to date Steve when we sort ourselves out and get a little closer to leaving.
See you soon Jim and Robyn

Yes bob its sad but a graphic warning .we have been past it a couple of times but it never ceases to move us. Steve knows the full story.
We get a housesitter in and she looks after our big baby boy, its not worth the risk.
Jim

A request from a couple of mining companies. Can prospectors please refrain from using flagging tape to mark spots, trails or what ever.
Geos, drillers and road crews etc use flagging tape and it's causing some confusion.

Cheers!

Why can't people just do the right thing?
Really? Come on everybody, respect the land, other people's property, don't take what isn't yours, don't shoot anything that mooooo ves......Haha, see what I did there ;)
It's not hard, this post by Steve should go without saying.

Some people just can't behave themselves, station owners let you on their land, they're everyday people doing it tough, living week to week, and what? You steal their equipment or damage what you can't take or shoot it or burn it........wow! Disgraceful.

Rant over, sorry Steve.

Hi folks,
This may sound like an odd request and I fully understand if it's a no.

Although dogs are not allowed, and I am sorry it has to be that way, but anyone coming to Erlistoun that does own a pooch, we would dearly appreciate a jar/container or two of your dogs sh!t.

Preferably from dogs that are fed raw meat or more natural type tin food but definately not Pal.
We and a few surrounding stations have a sizable wild dog problem at the moment. It is for making lures for the traps and Pal is not acceptable.

Again I fully understand if anyone feels a bit uneasy and that's fine.

Cheers!

madtuna said:
Hi folks,
This may sound like an odd request and I fully understand if it's a no.

Although dogs are not allowed, and I am sorry it has to be that way, but anyone coming to Erlistoun that does own a pooch, we would dearly appreciate a jar/container or two of your dogs sh!t.

Preferably from dogs that are fed raw meat or more natural type tin food but definately not Pal.
We and a few surrounding stations have a sizable wild dog problem at the moment. It is for making lures for the traps and Pal is not acceptable.

Again I fully understand if anyone feels a bit uneasy and that's fine.

Cheers!

I take it you dont want people to include an 'if undelivered' return address. :playful:

Are Auspost ok with this?

Strange request for sure but I may be able to help you.

When I awoke this morning I had no idea my day would be so eventful :D

Natural is best :) :power: :fistpump: if I can post some I will (not sure if it'll pass the non explosive option :8 :lol:) the two mutt's we've got just had a gorge on venison from this mornings hunt. Apart from that they usually feed on dry tucker.

Sorry I don't own a dog :lol: :lol: :lol:

My friend has a cat but I don't no where the cat does her business :lol: :lol:

Goody :)