Erlistoun Station - Laverton W.A.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madtuna

Only owns one toaster
Reaction score
Hi folks,
for those making the trek this year and who plan on detecting on Erlistoun Station.

Ownership has changed hands and it is no longer held by Grainger Pastoral Co.
I will still be here as on site manager so it's business as usual as far as I am concerned.

We are a prospector friendly station and all we ask is to please let us know if and when you'll be on the station. Feral control is on going so it helps if we know where you are and you know where we are.
Please take out what you bring in, don't bury your rubbish. Please keep off station roads when wet, that wheel rut becomes a water channel, that water channel becomes a creek....
Please respect leases and know where you are and have 40E's and permissions in order.
Please respect cattle and infrastructure, and no firearms or shooting under any circumstances.

At this stage I am not sure on the new owners policy regarding bringing dogs onto the station but I will endeavour to find out ASAP and update it here.

Correspondence can be sent to:

Steve Fisher,
P.O. Box 189
Laverton W.A. 6440

Ph :08 9037 5951 (after 6pm)

Email: [email protected]

Alternatively I can be contacted here on this forum

Cheers!

Thanks Jethro (see, I do have a serious side not like on AHN)

400mm of rain has done wonders, I've never seen it so green or the cattle so fat. Unfortunately 2 excellent wet seasons have seen feral numbers explode too

Just a foot note,

with all the rain we've had, every puddle, creek, dam, pool of cow piddle etc has 10 zillion frogs in it. So the snake are out in force taking advantage of the plentiful tucker.
The other week while walking I saw 2 large Mulgas, 1 Death Adder and 1 Gwadar in a space of about 500 yards.
If I don't see 1 or 2 snakes a day I'm not looking hard enough.

Flies, Mozzies and March Flies are out in force at the moment too. My left leg looks like a chocolate crackle and I'm about to take to it with a rasp. Dr Google tells me it is Hives and apparently pretty common from a March Fly bite.

A hefty repellent, something with DEET in it is a must have and Natures Botanical for the flies.

madtuna said:
Just a foot note,

with all the rain we've had, every puddle, creek, dam, pool of cow piddle etc has 10 zillion frogs in it. So the snake are out in force taking advantage of the plentiful tucker.
The other week while walking I saw 2 large Mulgas, 1 Death Adder and 1 Gwadar in a space of about 500 yards.
If I don't see 1 or 2 snakes a day I'm not looking hard enough.

Flies, Mozzies and March Flies are out in force at the moment too. My left leg looks like a chocolate crackle and I'm about to take to it with a rasp. Dr Google tells me it is Hives and apparently pretty common from a March Fly bite.

A hefty repellent, something with DEET in it is a must have and Natures Botanical for the flies.

If Natures Botanical was a Sheila I'd be down on one knee! :/

Average rainfall for the year is 311mm
From Mid January to yesterday 612 mm with 125 in the last 3 days.

cairnspom said:
madtuna said:
At least the digging should be softer lol

Nah, you just stand next to it and wait til you sink down to its level and pick it up.

Seriously no driving anywhere for the next bunch of days, Monday I'm getting a lift to town in a helicopter :)

sounds like a real waiting game mt I had a holliday booked for fnq 13th april but cyclone Debbie might have other ideas to throw at me. w.a was on my radar also so when do you think it might be better. to the best of your experience. I know if man had a remote control for the weather we would probably #### that up to.

A week or two and things will be relatively back to normal. Anywhere from May onwards, even from April is good right through until September/October.
Saying that, I detect right through summer without any real problems bar the rain.

madtuna said:
cairnspom said:
madtuna said:
At least the digging should be softer lol

Nah, you just stand next to it and wait til you sink down to its level and pick it up.

Seriously no driving anywhere for the next bunch of days, Monday I'm getting a lift to town in a helicopter :)
That'll be OK for me....won't be there till May!

Erlistoun Station is isolated though I did manage to get into town today with water coming up through the floor in 2 places. I was going in tomorrow in a chopper and still will but as it was a hospital visit I just couldn't wait any longer.

Banya road is just out of the question for anyone heading North.

Laverton is cut off in both directions, with the road apparently gone in a couple of places on the Leonora / Laverton road, it may reopen tomorrow or Tuesday.

Going off road at the moment for bush camping or even to your favourite detecting spot is probably not a real smart idea

Laverton area is drying up well. Still a lot of water about and ground is very soft in places but most areas are accessible.

Just a heads up though, two good wet seasons and the wild dog numbers as well as the dingo population have increased to a worrying degree.

The amount of rain has made the baits laid prior to the rain mostly ineffective. Baiting is on going how ever.

Dingos are largely curious but will generally not be a bother. The wild dogs though are another matter, so be mindful that they are out there. A prospector was mauled pretty severely near King of Creation towards the end of last season.

Tonight just on dusk I dispatched two large wild dogs, one was doing his best to keep my attention while his mate was creeping up behind me. They are cunning buggers and if you see one there is often another one you don't see.

Cheers,

steve

Steve you are allowed to dispatch them ? As in not just you but the prospector who is being viewed as dinner ;)

Gem in I said:
sounds like a real waiting game mt I had a holliday booked for fnq 13th april but cyclone Debbie might have other ideas to throw at me. w.a was on my radar also so when do you think it might be better. to the best of your experience. I know if man had a remote control for the weather we would probably #### that up to.

Gem bit the same here .................... where are you heading ? How far North ? Rocky is not expected to peak until Wednesday so is plenty of water still around ........................ it's ok if you get thru but not much chop if you end up stuck some where for days waiting for the water to drop :N:
Haven't checked but pretty sure the GPA's are probably closed at Clermont also ?

Bogger said:
Steve you are allowed to dispatch them ? As in not just you but the prospector who is being viewed as dinner ;)

Hi mate, yep sure are. But you are limited to your pick, a blunt object, a rock or a mulga branch. Unfortunately not firearms.

madtuna said:
Bogger said:

Hi mate, yep sure are. But you are limited to your pick, a blunt object, a rock or a mulga branch. Unfortunately not firearms.

Thanks Steve that answers the question I was asking in a round about way ;) Few stations are no firearms rule ................... that's like leaving home with no pants on for me :) But understand it fully as some have the need to put a hole in anything :N:

Bogger said:
madtuna said:
Bogger said:

Thanks Steve that answers the question I was asking in a round about way ;) Few stations are no firearms rule ................... that's like leaving home with no pants on for me :) But understand it fully as some have the need to put a hole in anything :N:

Hi again Bogger,
it's not just stations it's WA's firearms legislation in general. There is no hunting on crown (public) land in WA unlike in most other states.

Over here, you can shoot at shooting ranges or on a pastoral lease with a letter of permission from the pastoralist. But, I don't think you can use a rifle that is endorsed for use at a club on a pastoral lease unless so endorsed.
Also you need a permit to bring a firearm into WA from another state.

As for stations, many like ours have active mines on the station. There are no firearms permitted on a mining lease. That also means drillers and geo's crawling all over the place, not to mention prospectors.
Some mining companies actually hold the pastoral lease on some stations as well as the mining leases. Minara resources for example have 5 stations and they are all working cattle stations.

The other problem we have is every windmill has bullet holes in them and we often get poly tanks shot up as well. A large centre fire will destroy a mill head.
Every year during prospecting season we find shot cattle. Usually the back straps taken and maybe a roast or two. Enough meat to fit in an Engel or two for a couple of weeks camping. It's not real hard to work out who the culprits are which is unfortunate for the rest who do the right thing.

Honestly though, just being aware that there are some wild things in the bush that could cause you a bit of mischief is generally more than enough to keep you safe.

Cheers!

Yes not sure on all states but in Vic you even need permission to take it out of the state. Hopefully will all be national soon. :Y:
A hand flare is a great dog deterrent :Y:

Bogger said:
Gem in I said:

Gem bit the same here .................... where are you heading ? How far North ? Rocky is not expected to peak until Wednesday so is plenty of water still around ........................ it's ok if you get thru but not much chop if you end up stuck some where for days waiting for the water to drop :N:
Haven't checked but pretty sure the GPA's are probably closed at Clermont also ?

Around Georgetown way, leaving 13th. I was worried at the time Debbie was going to compress west over charters but we are good :Y: passing through Clermont to get there so should be o.k by then. (dry in Clermont) remember :D . West Aus is on the cards for august hopefully if I can hookup with a tour in time.

Latest posts