Erlistoun Station - Laverton W.A.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was involved in a few muster in FNQ many years ago, some of the 'targets' had never seen a human, bloody wild as they were.
Good luck with the remainder.

madtuna said:
1st casualty today, one bloke to Laverton hospital after a bull put a horn through his leg

I hope the casualty is ok and there is no major damage from there injury.

Brings back memories from the 70's while on Koolan Island in the Kimberley's . We took a yank (Crockett - obviously called Davy) and his mob of of local stockman by water craft - landing barge and launch, to Pantar Downs Stn which hadn't been worked since WW2. These cattle hadn't seen mankind for 20+ years.
To say they were feral is and understatement, they were long horns and wild as! "Davy" had an ex army jeep, LH drive with a saddle fitted to a 12 gallon drum welded in position. He gave us a demo, the boys on the horses flushed out a mob and with one of the stockmen driving the jeep he sat in in the saddle and roped one. Amazing to watch, how they didn't get hurt.
Over the next 6 months (Dry season) we transported cattle to Broome.

Davy, told us he would select a young "wild one" to shoot and we could take the steaks back to the Island.
Well our Island manager had the rifle and he shot an "old one" much to Davy's disgust. He said we won't waste it and he proceeded to remove the meat down the spine (Can't remember that cut)
We loaded the steaks into our ali dingy to get back out to the launch.

On our way back to the island we stopped off at a waterfall tucked away in a mangrove inlet to have a shower to wash off the mud from a few days in the bush.
The 36ft tide was ebbing, when we returned to the dingy it was high and dry and a 3 metre crocodile was checking out the smell of blood.
Fortunately it hightailed it and didn't decide to take us for a meal.........................

Nightjar sounds like he took the back strap or tenderloin. Normally the best cut of meat. You probably would not recognize Koolan Island as its mostly an open cut mine.

BigWave said:
Any updates MT?

Very lucky fella! Got out of surgery about this time last night.

The horn went along and down his femur and crushed his femoral artery but didn't sever it thankfully. It would have been a fence wire tourniquet and probably loss of a leg by the time he got somewhere able to look at it.

Y0RykNE.jpg

on the RFDS to Perth

CXQuqPy.jpg

post surgery

VHoo1Ji.jpg

Lucky lad ..................... tell him for me MT, that firstly it didn't spoil his ink and secondly that chicks dig scars :D :Y: :Y:

Had to edit to add ..................... how many would be in the proverbial without the RFDS, both in the past, now and the future :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

'Ole mate will have a few stories to tell the shielas down the pub now...

Bloody lucky if you ask me .....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Edited bloody predictive text....

Just a flesh wound, did he really leave the muster for that? We might be a bit tougher on the East Coast. :)

Thank God for the RFDS. That young fella now has a story to tell? Glad all is ok.
Busy time for you too mad by the sounds and looks of things.

Latest posts