Detecting on private property

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the accepted percentage (%) that would be split with a private land owner if any gold were to be found while detecting there? ;)

I'd only be offering around 10%+ as the land owner is lucky it's not a big company that will take the lot and offer them nil in return,.. as well as the fact that you are covering all costs associated with the venture and doing all the labor as well.
if something large was found you may have a 50 50 agreement in those particular circumstances.
Mind you though, not one land owner has got back in touch with me regarding ecploring his or her land. :/

That could be the reason silver.... 50 50 is a good deal you the prospector is the lucky one if they let you on the land.... Cause they the lucky ones are paying the mortgage for that land... :D

Personally: 50/50 (prospecting) will open more gates than 10%, 10% is more towards 'lease' (mass production) where expenses have to be covered before shares can be divided up,
50/50 offer has opened up some nice areas for myself over the years, an offer like that shows honesty and respect towards the property owners, ;)

We're pretty tight up this way. :D
don't want all those land owners thinking they own whats under the surface now do we.
And the big money would still be there for them if a nice big find turned up,... I think,.. even though you fellas would probably get in to places alright I might just stick to my guns on this one,.... I 'll find a nice landowner one day who will see the merits in it all for me,.. it's not like I'm in a rush (ha). :D

I leave a parting gift on the front door step with a note thanking them for allowing and trusting me to utilize their land.
Plus my full name, address and phone number.
Generally a box of beer or some thing. :D
Not only is it a mark of respect but guarantees you access again. :D :D

I'd concentrate on getting permission first then worry about percentages etc. Most landholders around here either don't ask or want anything, others charge a fee i.e. $20 for the day & I've only heard of a few wanting percentages. The percentage thing always seems to turn to shite to with suspicion of what exactly is being found creeping in. A daily access fee or similar is better if anything.
For those that don't ask for anything a box of beer or bottle of scotch, like Tath said, can go a long way. Even ringing before heading out to see if they need anything like fresh bread or milk can be a great way to stay in good with them. We even used to just take out the Sunday papers to a bloke where we used to get firewood & that was appreciated.

Hi All
I have access to large tracts of land but have never talked about percentages of finds with owners, to me & it has been mentioned above, there are far too many issue's with trust on this (not from me) not forgetting many many land owners have been taken for a ride because they are very trusting folks.
To me it is an "Absolute Privilege" to gain access to someone's property & I make this very clear!!! From the initial phone call I make it clear that I will provide my services as a Tradesman Plumber Gasfitter, free of charge whilst I am out there (careful not to be used ) I always take a carton, bottle of port etc & always ask if they need something from town? I have purchased generators & delivered them 500km away for pumps etc it is very important to me to build a trusting relationship with the Landowner, remember when you have access to one block in a district your name travels very quickly around that district Good or Bad that is up to you folks.

If you get a knock back 1st time be polite & thank them for their time ask if you can call back at another time.
Call back a 2nd time just have a chat maybe don't even ask for permission build a rapport, say talk to you again some time, but make sure you follow through!!
Remember it may not happen overnight but it may happen, it took me 2 years to get on to one place, nicest folks you will never meet LOL
cheers
Lee

It appears the general consensus is people are willing to offer something for access to private land, and that's a good thing, we all know that the minerals we prospect belong to the crown by law but we still had to dig through the top 12-18 inches of it that don't belong to the crown to get to the minerals (getting technical) in any case 50/50 or a carton of pizz says a lot more than a fence jumper or the old "I have a right to prospect here" chestnut! :)

When in Victoria my miners right transfers the ownership of any minerals found whilst prospecting, to the holder of the miners right = me. In NSW anything found in the process of lawful fossicking belongs to the person finding it = me. Anything I find in the nanny states like Qld & SA were found in Vic or NSW. The Crown can get nicked :lol:

hey mbasko, just for the record, what you find in Qld, as long as you have a Fossicking Licence, is yours. Don't know about S.A.. In Qld you can even sell the "occasional" lucky find. Very generous of them I know, but better than nothing.

When I am on new land and getting to know the owners I just give them one of the first pieces I find. And always offer my help and same as above ask if there is anything from town they need, ring ahead and let them know you are coming with couple of days notice, always have a cold beer in your esky or fridge as when you run into them on the road stop and offer a beer and always I mean ALWAYS fill in your holes, they find a dead beast next to a detector hole they get mighty angry. About 10 years back I got onto quite a big patch and I gave the owner a 38 gram nugget, she still has that in a case and we still catch up as families quite often after all of these years even though I no longer prospect on their land. But as for % no one is ever going to believe how much you find and having an arrangement I think will only end in disaster. Most land owners with gold have been used, chewed up and spat out over the years and their trust is very hard to earn so doing the right thing by them is a far better arrangement than % and they all know each other so in turn they can sometimes get you onto neighbouring blocks too.

I used to have access to a block of 200,000+ acres that was producing when they let a couple of complete yobos on and they just went stupid leaving open holes leaving gates open and were actually caught stealing diesel. They took it all very serious and just kicked everyone off so sometimes does not matter what you do it is their land and they can do what they want.

The NT is different altogther.
If I wanted to do it by the book, I would find the address of the land owner and issue them an intention to fossick notice.
So long as its not within 2km of their homestead, and will not interfere with activities such as burning off or a cttle muster, they don, t have the right to obstruct you.
They then need to prove that they did infact burn off, or conduct a muster on the dates you proposed. Then I would give them another notice....

In reality, its not like that, If possible I make myself known to the land owner(nearly always a pastural lease of crown land) and ask permission, or just do it, as most leases are huge!

mbasko said:
When in Victoria my miners right transfers the ownership of any minerals found whilst prospecting, to the holder of the miners right = me. In NSW anything found in the process of lawful fossicking belongs to the person finding it = me. Anything I find in the nanny states like Qld & SA were found in Vic or NSW. The Crown can get nicked :lol:

Conversely anything you find while fossicking or prospecting in Tasmania does NOT pass to your ownership by virtue of your licence, and continues to be the property of the Crown, according to the Director of Mines. Check out the last paragraph on the first page of this letter: http://www.appleisleprospector.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Letter from the Director of Mines.pdf
You can see my take on this here: http://www.appleisleprospector.com/who-owns-the-minerals-in-tasmania/

The moral is, don't ever find any gold in Tasmania, if you ever want to sell it. If you're selling, then you'd better have found it across the ditch, preferably with a Victorian Miner's Right ;)

Miguel

I don't mind doing a percentage with people I know; otherwise it 'poisons the well' with regards to jealousy of friends/family that let you have a play with your toy in their backyard.

I can't comment about what I would do on private property of others (for clarity: with permission of course) as I've only either been on property from said persons above or publicly accessible land.

How would you go about asking a landholders Permission if there is no House on the property ?

I was actually thinking about this the other day
What would be a good way to approach the owner

Empty Pockets said:
What is the accepted percentage (%) that would be split with a private land owner if any gold were to be found while detecting there? ;)

That would have to be between yourself and the owner. I visit a couple of private properties one of them I usually take them a few kilo of fish but apart from that they have never asked for a percentage. I tell them what I find but not where. I also offer to take them detecting if they have any interest which they rarely do.

037981 said:
How would you go about asking a landholders Permission if there is no House on the property ?

I was actually thinking about this the other day
What would be a good way to approach the owner
Pay the local council,.... I'm not joking. ;)

Latest posts