Story about a possible Bushrangers Button

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day All,
For a while I have thought about detecting an old area which use to be government land which had public access. Now apparently private property!
This is a known area where Bushrangers use to hide out!!

I have detected some of this area, however there is a neighbouring property.
I left a note in their letterbox inquiring weather they owned the property and if I was able to gain access through and past there property.
I received a call as I got home from the property owner saying, yes that they own the land. He told me because he has horses roaming around, the horses come first so the answer would be no. He said incase anything happened to me or the horses. The horses come first.
So sorry but the answer is no!

I specifically went to this area after some research and finding that this area was a known bushranger hideout and bugger me. I detected and found a possible Bushrangers Button!!!
200 yrs old!!
I am intreaged by this find and really want to go back to this spot!!
Who knows what else could be laying a few inches from the surface.!
See attached picture and if anyone has any idea's to gain access through this guys property, please throw me an idea??
Any information about the button?
I didn't explain to the property owner why exactly I wanted access.
Cheers guys,
Regards Co

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230729-122320_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230729-122320_Gallery.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 2
If it was bushranger relics, maybe it would have been better to explain that up front. Unfortunately many owners have been put off by the reported activities of unknown and unauthorized fence jumpers and just have a prejudice in that regard.
Ensure that you have a good reference like membership of a prospecting group so you can be identified and make an offer to share some of the finds with the owner.
Be politely respectful of the owners right to their decision for whatever reason they state and leave your contact details with them advising that should circumstances change you would be still be keen.
Have done a bit of selling in my past life and often the reasons people give for not buying something, a product or offer, are a rationalization for a decision already made. You have to drill down for the real reason and often there might not be any.
What you are trying to do is sell the idea that detecting the landowners property is in his or her interests. Giving them the time to reconsider whether the objection they gave at first approach was the real one sometimes pays off.

An unusual answer from a detectorist I would have thought, if you have done your research, approached the owner in a courteous and polite manner, outlined your reasons for wanting access, your approach to detecting and rehabilitation of the site etc the owner then has everything he needs to make an informed decision.
if the owner says no, respectfully accept the decision and move on.
There have been many on this forum who have sought permissions and gained them

An unusual answer from a detectorist I would have thought, if you have done your research, approached the owner in a courteous and polite manner, outlined your reasons for wanting access, your approach to detecting and rehabilitation of the site etc the owner then has everything he needs to make an informed decision.
It pays to have a photo ID card like a driver's licence and show it when first meeting them. Discuss your intention and a waiver agreement for them.

If it was bushranger relics, maybe it would have been better to explain that up front. Unfortunately many owners have been put off by the reported activities of unknown and unauthorized fence jumpers and just have a prejudice in that regard.
Ensure that you have a good reference like membership of a prospecting group so you can be identified and make an offer to share some of the finds with the owner.
Be politely respectful of the owners right to their decision for whatever reason they state and leave your contact details with them advising that should circumstances change you would be still be keen.
Have done a bit of selling in my past life and often the reasons people give for not buying something, a product or offer, are a rationalization for a decision already made. You have to drill down for the real reason and often there might not be any.
What you are trying to do is sell the idea that detecting the landowners property is in his or her interests. Giving them the time to reconsider whether the objection they gave at first approach was the real one sometimes pays off.
Thank you for your response. I might write another letter to explain myself.
I am not wanting to necessarily keep any items found. I would rather see the items displayed for the public as a peice of history.
Thanks again,
Co.

Thank you, i have gained permission to some properties around my area.

Hey guy, after an enquiry I was told this.
Does anyone know what a Trust control policy is?
I think this guy maybe full of it.
Cheers Co.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230911-151603_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230911-151603_Photos.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 2
Hey guy, after an enquiry I was told this.
Does anyone know what a Trust control policy is?
I think this guy maybe full of it.
Cheers Co.
If you put a comma after "trust", in his SMS, it makes better sense:
This property is held under trust, control policy doesn't allow intruders.

So there's a (presumably family) trust that owns the property and they only allow access to the trustees and employees of the trust. Might be a public liability insurance issue or just general NIMBY attitudes. Either way, I'm afraid it's a "No" as far as you're concerned.

If you put a comma after "trust", in his SMS, it makes better sense:
This property is held under trust, control policy doesn't allow intruders.

So there's a (presumably family) trust that owns the property and they only allow access to the trustees and employees of the trust. Might be a public liability insurance issue or just general NIMBY attitudes. Either way, I'm afraid it's a "No" as far as you're concerned.
Maybe 😊 thanks for the response.
In the beginning the guy said he owned it and i couldn't go there because his horses roam there.

Latest posts