Counterfeit/fake Minelab detectors and accessories

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep - handles wrong too.
Getting a pic of the viewer card over the hidden ID is a surefire way to tell but not always possible. When I sold mine (yes it was genuine :D) a potential buyer asked me to do just that. The issue was that even the local dealer didn't have a viewer card so I couldn't do it. Unless you get one prior to selling it may be hard or take time to obtain one. For the record that bloke purchased my 5000 anyway after I explained to him how to check everything else with Minelab including the original purchase receipt details.
Some fake machines will have a serial number that checks out i.e. has been ripped off a genuine machine so it's not a good check by itself. Minelab can check the original purchase details & ensure that they match what the seller is telling you. I once checked a GPX4500 with Minelab where the serial number was off a genuine machine. When I checked the purchase details the seller provided they didn't match in anyway the records Minelab had - sold in different state + different year.

Seems like buying a detector on ebay or such is way to risky unless you can see it and try before paying.. The old saying- if it seems to good to be true it probably is- might be something to keep in mind. Even if you are paying top dollar and everything looks straight you need to be carefull about sending money somewhere you can't send your big ugly friends to get back. Think i would be buying from a dealer or someone on this site maybe.
No excuse for anyone getting ripped off after visiting this site, you guys are all over it like dirt on a coil. Great job.

Wishfull said:
Pardon my ignorance but how does one get a viewer card ?
You get them from Minelab dealers.
In saying that the one time I needed one the local dealer didn't have one. If your planning on needing one I would contact a dealer or Minelab to get it in advance.
For me a check of the serial number & the original invoice/receipt details direct with Minelab or a Minelab dealer would suffice.

mbasko said:
Wishfull said:
Pardon my ignorance but how does one get a viewer card ?
You get them from Minelab dealers.
In saying that the one time I needed one the local dealer didn't have one. If your planning on needing one I would contact a dealer or Minelab to get it in advance.
For me a check of the serial number & the original invoice/receipt details direct with Minelab or a Minelab dealer would suffice.

If you don't have a Minelab viewer card to see the code hidden in the hologram sticker, you can make do by looking through one side of a pair of polarised sunglasses or a camera polarising filter and rotating them while getting the hologram at the correct angle to the light. You might need to squint a bit, but it IS do-able. :cool:

Latest posts