Counterfeit/fake Minelab detectors and accessories

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure you will find it's legit as seller names place of purchase and Bendigo would be closest Minelab dealer to his location being Golden Point ........................ which is only a few k's from the famous Faraday school where the kids and teacher were kidnapped ..................... just a bit of local history :D

Because these days Joao the weak nerds who wouldn't say boo to a goose years ago now have the internet which affords them a cloak of invisibility to do what they want to whoever they want. Its amazing how many socially "shy" people are actually inwardly "DOGS". Such is life now mate.

Bogger said:
Pretty sure you will find it's legit as seller names place of purchase and Bendigo would be closest Minelab dealer to his location being Golden Point ........................ which is only a few k's from the famous Faraday school where the kids and teacher were kidnapped ..................... just a bit of local history :D

Just a technicality: isn't Golden Point a suburb in Ballarat?

Nuggetbuster said:
Bogger said:

Just a technicality: isn't Golden Point a suburb in Ballarat?

Must be a different one Golden Point or Golden Point Res ....................... the one I used to swim / fish at borders Chewton in Vic ;) on the Golden Point Rd runs from the Pyrenees Highway to Calder Highway at Faraday ?
So seller could have come from either I guess ?

https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.0516557,144.2621583,14z?hl=en-GB

Look at the bumps in the handle grip, there are too many. This is common with the fakes.
Also the arm cuff is too wide and short.
The backlight also seems quite bright.

Nuggetbuster & AuMan are correct.
The incorrect font is the easiest way to pick fakes up but the other things AuMan noticed are also subtle hints.
I fear that if you buy that as a back up you may as well give me $2k & have nothing :D
As always obtain & check the serial number with Minelab but it rings enough alarm bells for me to not even bother going that far - the story even reeks of crap.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5333

Nuggetbuster said:
The first dead giveaway is the font / style of the writing on the side of the control box.

Yes have to agree re font on going to the minelab web site ........................ have spoken to seller and also have serial number but I don't have a viewer to look at hologram and get hidden image ..................... may go out and have a look but font at this point appears certainly wrong. Good pick up NuggetBuster
Thank you
ps Also the G from GPX sits lower than genuine also On the genuine you can't see line whereas the fake you can see line cutting thru inner part of the G
Wave symbol also different in design and also length
Thanks again guys for saving me money ..................... owe you a beer.

Yep, I'd agree the handle's a genuine Minelab, but the GPX font and security badge looks OK. Check out:
http://www.goldcitydetecting.com/counterfeitgpx5000.htm
I'd say counterfeits are getting better with feedback from counterfeit detection web-sites (who no-longer mention the older GPX font issue)
Best to ask for the serial number, have it checked with Minelab and go have a look at it (armed with a print-out of the above data).
I'd say counterfeits are getting better with feedback from counterfeit detection sites.
Maybe the handle has just been replaced. I know of a few that have broken near new.
While many say: "if it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't", with due diligence, you may have a super bargain.

Thanks Nugget will do ......................... unless minelab have changed their label there are about three things in label alone that don't come thru as being Genuine.
The most obvious apart from font style is the line on the fake label can be seen running thru the bottom of the inner part of the G .................. genuine that line is behind the font of the G

BigWave said:
Yep, I'd agree the handle's a genuine Minelab, but the GPX font and security badge looks OK. Check out:
http://www.goldcitydetecting.com/counterfeitgpx5000.htm
I'd say counterfeits are getting better with feedback from counterfeit detection web-sites (who no-longer mention the older GPX font issue)
Best to ask for the serial number, have it checked with Minelab and go have a look at it (armed with a print-out of the above data).
I'd say counterfeits are getting better with feedback from counterfeit detection sites.
Maybe the handle has just been replaced. I know of a few that have broken near new.
While many say: "if it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't", with due diligence, you may have a super bargain.

It's a fake. The handle is, too. Don't bother with the serial number - serial numbers can be duplicated.

As soon as you know what to look for, fakes like these jump out and there is no question.

Where are these counterfeit detection websites? It would be good to have link/s here for members. If they don't mention the font issue then they've dropped the ball - most I see have not only the incorrect font but can also contain spelling mistakes on labelling. That has been a constant with them for years & I still see it now.
Buyer beware!!
P.s Yes the serial numbers can & do get duplicated. That's why my link above has a checklist to VERIFY ALL DETAILS. Another good point Nuggetbuster!
I was looking at a GPX4500 once & the serial number didn't match the records Minelab had. It was a fake with a correct serial number but the seller couldn't know where the machine with that serial number was sold or when. You need to check everything.
If any one detail sets off alarm bells, keep cash in pocket & walk away.

Latest posts