Corang River (near Ollen Ford)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DropBear

Tim
Reaction score
Hey all...

Thinking of having a hunt for a new spot... Has anyone tried the Corang river, it's a little bit past Ollen Ford...

Would love to hear what people think and past experiences?

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

I have tried not far up the Corang river where from where it meets the shoalhaven - not one speck, that was on on private property.

I have not tried nearer to the Nerriga-Braidwood road bridge.

rgds

barry

Hey Drop,

I wanted to hit Oallen a couple of weeks back, but the mountain of construction work and half a ton of campers put me off.

I try to get out on Sundays if I'm not too busy, and every other Thursday is usually good (except the one right before the ANZAC Day weekend, when I have to work), so any time you fancy catching up and seeing what we can see, drop me a PM or email and I'll see what's on.

Warning: I'm so new at this I'm probably greener than a finger that's been wearing a gold ring made of copper for six months! That said, I'm looking for the social aspect more so than a way to boost my super ;)

Wes

I'd be look'n at a spot..just down stream on the shoalie from the Mongalowe confluence...don't know if it can be accessed but i always wondered about that spot.
But..theres better pick'ns..chunky pick'ens in the "Abercrombie". :cool: Mt Costigan quartz- reefs have shed gold down into the system for eaons till around 1851-65...Rushes.. and later here and there. Despite this good gold still enters the system... from time to time...after the rains lads....after the rains. HeHe.. Good luck ta y's

We Swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight for our Rights and Liberties... :cool: Reefer

WesAndFionaKing said:
Hey Drop,

I wanted to hit Oallen a couple of weeks back, but the mountain of construction work and half a ton of campers put me off.

I try to get out on Sundays if I'm not too busy, and every other Thursday is usually good (except the one right before the ANZAC Day weekend, when I have to work), so any time you fancy catching up and seeing what we can see, drop me a PM or email and I'll see what's on.

Warning: I'm so new at this I'm probably greener than a finger that's been wearing a gold ring made of copper for six months! That said, I'm looking for the social aspect more so than a way to boost my super ;)

Wes

Hey mate sorry i totally missed this message.

We hit a spot up the river, we were getting 1 to 2 flecks a testpan... i wasn't too impressed, but we set up and ran for a few hours anyways as there was no point heading home.
I have the dirt in a bucket at my place, i just need to pan it out now.

reefer said:
I'd be look'n at a spot..just down stream on the shoalie from the Mongalowe confluence...don't know if it can be accessed but i always wondered about that spot.
But..theres better pick'ns..chunky pick'ens in the "Abercrombie". :cool: Mt Costigan quartz- reefs have shed gold down into the system for eaons till around 1851-65...Rushes.. and later here and there. Despite this good gold still enters the system... from time to time...after the rains lads....after the rains. HeHe.. Good luck ta y's

We Swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight for our Rights and Liberties... :cool: Reefer

Awesome info :) Thanks mate.

I will look into it for the next adventure ;)

Hi all first time post was interested if anyone else had tried the river and did they have any luck hey drop bear howd those buckets pan out cheers

No worries dropbear thanks for the info out of curiosity where on the corang were you banking cheers

baw1983 said:
No worries dropbear thanks for the info out of curiosity where on the corang were you banking cheers

A few spots near the bridge and down...

There was a good spot i wanted to run, easy diggings etc but was too much effort getting the gear down there.

But testpans were again producing 1 to 2 specs which is rubbish, i have a sneaky little spot at ollen ford that does 10 to 15 specs per pan.

I explored a little on the Corang on the weekend .

There is 280 acres of private property you can access with permission from the owners who run a B and B there ( Corang River B & B ) , they also allow camping near the river for $ 20 per night

I found the ruins of an old miners camp with remains of a sluice or cradle in the valley above the river but didnt spend enough time there to locate any shaft if thats where the deep lead was.

It appeared the mining camp was established for quite a while , they took the trouble to plant fruit trees and gardens which are now owned by some well fed wombats.

The river itself yielded very thin and flat gold if you took the trouble to find some nice deep crevices to dig out.

There is a good feeling in the spot that there is gold to be found there , The trip was more about touring than prospecting so i didnt take a detector with me on that trip but would have liked to run one across the hills on the property.

If you can find better mapping resources and explore in detail based on maps of the lead you might get a better win.

The spot is not far from Welcome Reef.

1476756960_corang_cradle.jpg

1476757005_corang_2.jpg

Latest posts