Cheap metal detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was In the hardware store yesterday and spied this

1391882438_img-20140208-00580.jpg

For the huge price off

1391882492_img-20140208-00581.jpg

I didn't have the $60 and 1 cent to waste. :)

Anyone else seen them?

Cliff

Yep me and the wifey bought the brothers kid one and made up a hunting pack.
That day I went outside while he opened his gift and hid a heap of coins in mums back yard.
Mum wasn't to happy as little Cohen didn't follow metal detecting law as he took the treasure and ran leaving holes every where!

Seams to work ok detecting a 10c coin about 2" a bit of stuffing around to work out how to use it but cheep fun for a 6 y/o for $60 from jaycar.

The Stratco Detector was originally made by Micronta and sold by Tandy Electronics in the early 70's. I know cause I have one from that time. Found coins and rings on the beach up near the surf club house in dry sand. I watch where people were placing their towels to get an idea where to search. Only good for about 6" Depth.
Takes 6 AA batteries. Had best result in all metal mode. Two switch knobs - one was on/off and volume, the other was discriminate. Good for kids - better than a toy but not for serious work.
regards, Ned

Hey Guys,

Ive read a lot of posts but im still unsure if I can get a Kogan/Aldi for a bit of beach combing (school holidays coming up) or is there a significant advantage in spending a few hundred bucks more? All opinions appreciated!

Thanks
Rob

Personally, I have had detectors that range in price from an ebay cheapy at $80 up to detectors that retailed for $1300+

The big dollar machines seriously smash the cheapy in detecting ability, discrimination and useability. That said the ebay cheapy holds a special place in my detecting arsenal in that it handles extremely EMI infested locations very well, and the discrimination is accurate enough that I canwind it up and cherry pick a park for goldies.

I currently have a Garrett Euroace for sale in the marketplace for $350 (inc post), it is a machine that has a rrp of $519 in Australia. Just a thought anyway.

Ben

Hi Rob,

What you need to know are a few things about detectors in general then you can make up

your own mind.

1. Your arch Nemesis when detecting is the pull tab and screw caps. If you discriminate these
out you will lose other targets that fall in this range depending the detector you use.
This will include gold rings.

2. Tones. Don't waste your money buying a 1 tone machine unless your going to become a relic
hunter since many relics fall into the iron category. You need a machine with 2 or 3 tones.
1 tone for iron, 1 tone for mid tones (eg pulltabs % rings) and 1 tone for high tones (eg coins).

This way you set the discriminator on the lowest settings and you can hear the iron and ignore it
and you dig everything else.

3. Digital Screen Readout. Only advantage is to check the depth reading . You can check the depth
with out a digital screen by lifting the coil and seeing where the signal stops. This will give you an
idea on how deep the target is.

In saying all of the above one machine that will be perfect for dry sand, parks and tot lots
is the Tesoro Golden uMax. The issues you will encounter out in the field in reference to targets
this machine handles them perfectly and is designed in finding Gold rings, jewelry etc.

The video below should impress you.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxz6oueP4t0[/video]

If you want something cheaper take a look at the Whites Coin Master range which start at about
$325 from Australia.

Everyone's opinions on detectors will vary, some will like digital screen readouts, VDI numbers, and multitones, whilst others will prefer a single tone machine with decent discrimination. For me, the Tesoro Vaquero is a great example of a single tone detector, and very easy to use from get go (latest version apparently has multitones). It may be a single tone machine, but there is a wealth of information from those tones, depending on how scratchy or prominent the signal is and so on. The discrimination is second to none on the tesoros, always seems right on the money, whereas some other detectors can discriminate out good targets. I'd hate to see how many good targets have been missed over time from people relying solely on displayed VDI numbers, and on screen target indicators.

For me, I have found multitone machines are a pain in junk infested areas, trying to decipher a whole raft of good and bad info - information overload if you like, and not always correct. It really can be quite overwhelming for a new detectorist. The Vaquero is easy, simply set discrimination at a minimum to block out iron targets, and simply wind up the discrimination when a target is encountered to knock out any junky targets, and if in doubt, always dig the target, that's how you learn your detector's capabilities.

Tried the x-terra 305 and whites coinmaster gt, but for me, I'd still prefer a Tesoro over both of them.

Not forgetting what you originally posted on the thread, these machines will probably not be considered as affordable, first time detectors, especially if purchasing brand new in Australia. Also have a look for something like the Ace 250 or 350 (Euroace) second hand, and they will serve you well as a starter detector, with plenty of optional coils from Garrett and aftermarket suppliers. Whilst they have digital screens, depth readings and reasonable discrimination, I barely ever use any on screen info, as it is not always accurate or correct. I mainly just go on the high/bell tones for coins, most of the mid and all low tones have been knocked out via the discrimination, depending on what I am targetting.

Personally, If I had the cash handy, I'd go back to a Tesoro in a flash over the Ace. It may be worth your while checking out the Tesoro Silver UMax, I reckon that would be an excellent starting detector, with excellent depth and same discrimination capabilities used across the tesoro range - plus lifetime warranty. Nel also make some excellent coils for this machine should you want to upgrade for increased depth.

If you prefer to have all the bells and whistles with screens, depth readouts etc, other starting detectors worth looking at may include the Fisher F2, Teknetics Alpha 2000, EurotekPro or Delta 4000, and Minelab x-terra 305. The 305 would probably be the best value of this bunch due to the sheer number of coils available for it, plus the added ability to ground balance.

At the end of the day, the only way to find what is right for YOU, is to give a detector a go, you can always sell it if it doesn't float your boat - detectors tend to hold their value pretty well. There is no single detector that is the right or wrong choice, it comes down to what suits you in the long run, what areas you detect in, and what you are ultimately targetting. Hence why I have gone through a few detectors, looking for the one that suits my style of detecting the best.

It really depends what your going to hunt.You only need 3 or 4 tones.

You don't need any more. I owned the Vaquero and I sold it within a month and I think its still a single tone machine. The vaquero is a beep and dig
machine which is awesome if your looking for anything but was not suited for my purpose which included detecting in grassed parks because your digging
everything.

One of the best detectors to use that will separate the iron among the goodies is the Teknetics G2 which I currently own. The faster you swing it the
better it works and I think will work well looking for targets at Ghost towns where iron could be an issue.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfc--mxTKN0[/video]

The machine I use for deep coins is the older serial 1021 CZ3D which is brilliant with no depth loss when using the discriminator and is tuned to detect
a dime at 11.9".

I think the Tesoro UMAX is perfect for anyone hunting beaches, parks and Tot lots because its primed for gold with a notch
and discriminator setup you can set to ignore most targets as per the video.

Tesoro are also releasing a new detector this year.

It seems the Vaquero has an option of preset hi or lo tones, not multi tones as mentioned. Once mastered, it is possible to weed out certain target based on how the tone comes across, and in combination of usjng the discrimination - usually sharp or smooth tones depending on the metal type. It's a bit of a dying art learning the variance of the tone on a single tone detector, now with all the multitone machines on the market. You can set the discrimination to weed out most junk, I found it a very good coin machine, though its only downfall was that it wasn't really suited to the beach, the ground balance didn't have enough range to be effective.

Anyway, it's a $600+ machine here in Australia, so not really classed as a cheap nor beginner detector, as with the G2. :)

Discriminators in most cases end up loosing you depth.

I Could not tell the difference between metals on my high Tone vaquero.

For coin hunters iron is trash therefore 2 tone machine is The bare minimum.

This is why I use a cz3D because no depth is lost when using the discriminator.

I guess it depends where you are detecting, most place I go other than the beach, I'm not really keen on digging deep plugs, so depth isn't a big factor. If I can't pry it out with a probe, it stays in the ground. :)

Thanks heaps guys, lot of options to explore. I take it that the aldi/kogan jobs don't have any real discrimination capabilities resulting me digging more holes that a wombat on lsd?

Ford Fairlane said:
Thanks heaps guys, lot of options to explore. I take it that the aldi/kogan jobs don't have any real discrimination capabilities resulting
me digging more holes that a wombat on lsd?

Forget using the discriminator. Your main issue is iron when coin or ring detecting. If you want to use the discriminator that's an added bonus for
you but you need to be careful otherwise you can null out a pull tab and at the same time null out a ring.

If you have a 2 or 3 tone detector you will be able to hear the iron and know not to dig it otherwise you will end up with a bucket of iron in no time.

Most cheaper units are a single tone.

You don't need to spend a truck load of cash.

We are lucky in Aus most coins in most situations are only buried at around 6". In tot lots sometimes a bit deeper due to the bark sitting ontop that
gets refilled by the council.

Fisher F2

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E7tTKl_oPU[/video]

Move the video to 2:40 You will see what I mean with the multitone.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShVNLkYUsYs[/video]

Fisher F2 at the Beach.

$300 Aus via ebay with pin pointer large and small coil delivered to your door. Just ask if

the small coil comes with it. Its included in the photos. Other option is buying from Toys and Things in Aus

via ebay for $365 without the extras.

Coin Master Pro

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00HS-hgjYKk[/video]

$445 Aus from Gold Search Australia.

Both units are multi tone and have an LCD screen.

Spend 6 months hunting tot lots and you will either get your money back or at least half of it. Some parks you may find a few dollars some

other busy parks you may walk away with $30. In my opinion today you have great value if your spending $300 on a detector. Only a few years

back we more paying a bit more so they have come down in price.

Hope this helps you out.

Hi Rob,

I am very new to this, I think Goldpick mentioned the X-terra 305 previously. It's my first machine so I can't compare to it anything else but I was happy with the price ($400) and I like the whistles and bells in terms of figures on the display, 3 tones and an indication of depth. The depth indicator isn't always spot on but having 3 tones is good since I am starting to understand what might be below the coil just by the noises I get as I swing. My only source of disappointment is using it on wet sand and that's when the falsing is mental, and yes I have tried lowering the sensitivity. For parks & dry sand I am very happy - I found plenty of gold coins and now I'm starting to find predecimal silver coins (getting better at spotting older parks). Good luck and let us know what you get and how it works for you.

The 'Other' Robert :)

Its definitely worth spending the extra bucks. Just as long as you stick to the dry sand areas you will be fine with a lower end major brand. They will have digital target and tone ID's which are very help full and when you get back home in Yass you can cruise the parks looking for Goldies etc. much easier, have a good holiday and good luck. :)

For wet sand some of the best units to use are
Multifrequency machines. These include the
Fisher cz3d, fisher cz21, minelab sovereign,
Minelab excalibur for example. Then you have
Pi detectors such as the garrett sea hunter.

Good luck with your purchase.

@Wolfau pardon my noobiness but what do you mean by "tots".. I know ill kick myself when you tell me lol

Tot lots, usually sectioned off parts of the park with swings, play equipment etc, and the ground cover is either bark, gravel or rubber matting - sometimes they are also fenced off, concentrating finds in a small area. The bark ground cover makes for easy pickings on recent drops, it is usually the first place people go to detect, and often a place where people drop stuff playing with their kids.
In saying that, I usually give them a miss, as they are nearly always previously detected by those doing regular rounds of parks, usually full timers.

Latest posts