Boys and their toys 2018 what did you buy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's funny

never seen one like that before top idea an easy way to create more space

I'm sure you will sort it out

Dog Ranger said:
Baldy said:
Temp fix just use couple of big ratchet straps to pull down. If you wanted to get a bit flash,
could look at 12 volt linear actuators ? Cheap ( $20 to $30 each) and could make them remote control :p Converted side lift on camper from struts to these and worked a treat :Y:
Looking forward to the build updates :Y:

Yeah linear actuators but use a spring balance to check how much force is required to pull the roof down at each end then rate the actuators at least the same each so you then have double the safety factor for longevity .

Or a hand powered winch with cable to pull down each corner however cable being wound onto a winch drum tends to skip a bit as it doesnt wind on evenly. Actuators would be best pick.

I would still keep the struts as they keep the roof central when raised

PS , i looked at those scissor lift struts you have at the front but couldnt find any tough enough , if you found heavy duty ones then you could get rid of the gas struts .

If I had time I would do exactly the same thing with a unimog

Hi Guys just an update on the truck..Since the first photo Ive replaced the front scissor lifts with the jayco lifters..I put 650N gas struts on much too strong..At the corners it weighs 35 Kg..So I will put 400 N struts on and see how that goes first and that will leave other options available ..

I decked out the car with a couple of 12inch subs, new head deck and 4000w amp!

Fully sikk lol

1545819072_resized_20181216_095410_6696.jpg

Baldy said:
Hi Guys just an update on the truck..Since the first photo Ive replaced the front scissor lifts with the jayco lifters..I put 650N gas struts on much too strong..At the corners it weighs 35 Kg..So I will put 400 N struts on and see how that goes first and that will leave other options available ..

Since the roof is no longer giving structural bracing to the walls , are you putting a new structural member around the top of the wall such as a 40 x 40 x 3 SHS on the inside ? , I see you have what looks like a 40 x 40 x 3 angle but a SHS could tie it together so it doesnt destroy itself with chassis twisting and vibration .

When you put rivets through that angle from the outside you could use longer reach rivets and go right through the angle , sheet and SHS in one hit .

Google Tesa tape its a high strength bond used in the assembly of semi trailers , trains and off-road campers.

If you want an adhesive equivalent there is stuff called Bostik Simmons matrix FC or Bostik 70-05 , consult the Bostik tech reps for your joint type.

Youre a lucky guy , wish I had the time to do one. :beer:

1545903506_86c810eb-2237-4219-91da-2245ff10084d.jpg

1545903507_41b29a81-3b3c-4491-a51d-374256b51484.jpg

1545903509_f1aac459-011c-4f94-9613-f85160610e9c.jpg

1545903510_fd1bb971-def7-4121-bed7-83cf8df75a70.jpg

1545903511_2594d137-aa5e-4ffd-b44d-9700da79338f.jpg
Its built pretty strong Hopefully..Im using 4.8 x9.6mm SS rivets bought a Milwaukee battery rivett gun..Makes the work easy..Using Marine Sika To bond it ..Thanks for your interest..Its a great base truck. 2014 Hino 113,000km..4.1 litre turbo hino motor..6 speed manual, 4 wheel disc brakes ABS brakes, air bags..180 litres fuel..should go forever..love the tilt forward cab makes the serviceing real easy..

Looks strong as! And if those rivets ever rattle loose good luck drilling them out.. I some times have that job at work.. they are one tough mother F clear of a rivet!

Nice job keep the pics coming
:D

Skip said:
Looks strong as! And if those rivets ever rattle loose good luck drilling them out.. I some times have that job at work.. they are one tough mother F clear of a rivet!

Nice job keep the pics coming
:D

If you think those are a beach try removing huck bolts , dyna bombs and huck auto-bulbs , just tell the apprentice he drew the lucky straw .

ps . cobalt or titanium coated drills help on the stainless rivets.

Latest posts