Boots for Prospecting, Hiking, Detecting information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nucopia said:
Went in to totally work wear and tried on a pair of Oliver At 45-632 with the zip .... felt really good but dont know if i like the zip...
$180 or full lace up no zip with out the toe cover for $170 none in store but can order them.. for that kind of outlay Im still undecided. :/
I wear these every day for work (if they are the 'non metal' ones) as well as prospecting, the ones with the zip and laces are best, you can get the most comfortable fit for you with the laces, but still take them off easy with the zip. Try 'the boot warehouse' on line, best prices I have found

Nigel

nucopia said:
Went in to totally work wear and tried on a pair of Oliver At 45-632 with the zip .... felt really good but dont know if i like the zip...
$180 or full lace up no zip with out the toe cover for $170 none in store but can order them.. for that kind of outlay Im still undecided. :/

What breed of boots do you wear now?

While this is a Oliver thread I used to wear them for work but Ive since changed a few years ago to steel blues. Use em both now for work, prospecting and everything in between. Apparently work boots arent going out attire. Crap who made that rule( just as well I dont go out too often). Anyway steel blues have been the only boot I can put on and wear constantly from brand new. Only problem is they smell bad after a while. Pretty sure thats not a brand thing but I like to think it is.

VicGoldHunter said:
Are they good? Thinking of getting a pair for out in the bush. Some people said they were extremely comfortable but after reading some reviews online they got some negative feedback

Get the Oliver AT non metallic, cant go wrong.

I got my Olivers from Web Safety, I saw them online and went to their store to have a look at them. They didn't have my size, but I found out that the online price was $30 cheaper than in store. As they had to order them for me, I got them for the same price as online.

Keep the receipt, I tried mine on to break them in around the house a few days after purchase and one of the zipper pulls, snapped. I took them back and they replaced them straight away, well not exactly straight away, they had to order another pair lol. Plus it was over a Xmas break when the factory was shutdown. But all good now and they are great boots.

As Olivers come in Steel Cap as well, make sure you get the composite safety boot, no metal at all in them.

Get the ATs with the laces and the zip up the side, so much easier to get your boots on and off,

I usually just wear my pair of old sketcher runner things, they are comfy as all getup but in saying that i'll probably roll an ankle in them. Maybe if i actually find some gold i'll think about upgrading them

madtuna said:
Another vote for the Redback Uboks.
Have been wearing them for years and usually get 3 years or more out of them atleast 6 days a week. Done some big walks in them eg: 27 klms after getting bogged etc. Have slept in them many times.
Bogged !? 27km walk!? mate you should have taken a horse :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ded Driver said:
madtuna said:
Have been wearing them for years and usually get 3 years or more out of them atleast 6 days a week. Done some big walks in them eg: 27 klms after getting bogged etc. Have slept in them many times.

He shot the horse. :lol:

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Ded Driver said:
madtuna said:

Cheers

Doug

Horses were the reason God invented tractors! :8

Rockhunter62 said:
Ded Driver said:
madtuna said:

Cheers

Doug
closing in on 6000 of them....I really am going to hell aren't I :8

I've always bought Keens hiking boots for my prospecting for a couple of reasons. They have tenacious grip when the going gets rough and they have absolutely no metal. The price is acceptable as well.

1524746636_boots.jpg

The main problem I've had with them is that the stitching in the sides would let go from kicking rocks out of the way all the time. Not really a fault of the boot but rather an undesirable feature. I used Sikaflex to withstand the wear and tear.

1577027597_keens.jpg

Last year when I went looking for boots my son suggested we visit DFO near the Perth airport. This supposedly direct factory outlet sells many products at discount prices. The problem is that your options are limited and I ended up with these Keens boots that had cloth sides instead of leather. They have simply fallen apart.

1577027823_graphite.jpg

I need new boots but from Geraldton once again my options are limited. I looked about and I don't think there's a Keens boots outlet here at all. The other options from the camping type outlets all seemed to have metal in so not something I was willing to buy.

1577028018_graphite_boot.jpg

While we were in Target I went looking for something cheap just to get by until I could get to Perth to buy boots. I found these Graphite boots for $99. They have composite toe caps and the tag says no metal. I tried the on and the comfort level seems quite acceptable too. When I got back to the house I took them out to the yard and ran the SDC2300 over them and the only metal is the pull tag on the zip. I've worn them for a few hours over a couple of days and I'm quite happy.

These boots might be a good option for anybody needing a metal free detecting boot at a decent price.

Moneybox said:
I've always bought Keens hiking boots for my prospecting for a couple of reasons. They have tenacious grip when the going gets rough and they have absolutely no metal. The price is acceptable as well.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3960/1524746636_boots.jpg

The main problem I've had with them is that the stitching in the sides would let go from kicking rocks out of the way all the time. Not really a fault of the boot but rather an undesirable feature. I used Sikaflex to withstand the wear and tear.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3960/1577027597_keens.jpg

Last year when I went looking for boots my son suggested we visit DFO near the Perth airport. This supposedly direct factory outlet sells many products at discount prices. The problem is that your options are limited and I ended up with these Keens boots that had cloth sides instead of leather. They have simply fallen apart.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3960/1577027823_graphite.jpg

I need new boots but from Geraldton once again my options are limited. I looked about and I don't think there's a Keens boots outlet here at all. The other options from the camping type outlets all seemed to have metal in so not something I was willing to buy.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3960/1577028018_graphite_boot.jpg

While we were in Target I went looking for something cheap just to get by until I could get to Perth to buy boots. I found these Graphite boots for $99. They have composite toe caps and the tag says no metal. I tried the on and the comfort level seems quite acceptable too. When I got back to the house I took them out to the yard and ran the SDC2300 over them and the only metal is the pull tag on the zip. I've worn them for a few hours over a couple of days and I'm quite happy.

These boots might be a good option for anybody needing a metal free detecting boot at a decent price.

Yes Phil,

I also saw these a little while ago and intend to give a pair a go. Metal Free and also zip up sides. :Y: My current hiking boots have the metal tag on the zip and it doesn't effect the detector, if anything it comes in handy to check if the detector is still working.

Cheers

Doug

Are they the same boots you had last year when we were at Erlistoun ?
I remember you telling me how good they were and me not liking them because they had a side zip.
I also remember searching shoe stores for months after we got home and finding nothing worth buying.
Then buying a pare of composite Oliver Ats with the side zip from a forum member in Cairns ..
Ironic , drive to Adelaid and buy boots that don't last The time it took to drive to WA , then months later drive to Cairns unsure I would like boots with a side zip and then after trying them on
Find out what you told me months before was spot on.
Lesson learned , dont reject something until you try them yourself.
:perfect:

Those boots you have pictured look pretty good MB
:Y:

nucopia said:
Are they the same boots you had last year when we were at Erlistoun ?
I remember you telling me how good they were and me not liking them because they had a side zip.
I also remember searching shoe stores for months after we got home and finding nothing worth buying.
Then buying a pare of composite Oliver Ats with the side zip from a forum member in Cairns ..
Ironic , drive to Adelaid and buy boots that don't last The time it took to drive to WA , then months later drive to Cairns unsure I would like boots with a side zip and then after trying them on
Find out what you told me months before was spot on.
Lesson learned , dont reject something until you try them yourself.
:perfect:

Those boots you have pictured look pretty good MB
:Y:

Yes Brian the boots I was wearing at Erlistoun were Reeboks. Good boots but not tough enough for Australian conditions. The rubber sole is too soft.

Cheers

Doug

Latest posts