Boots for Prospecting, Hiking, Detecting information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For prospecting I brought myself a pair of Merrell Refuge Core Mid Hiking Boots and seriously these are the best boots I have ever owned. These are so comfortable it feels like you're wearing slippers, they weigh next to nothing and are waterproof. I actually like them so much a purchased a second pair as a backup, they cost me around $160/pair online.

So thats a recommendation from me. What do you guys wear and can recommend for anyone else looking for boots for prospecting or hiking?

RedBacks UBOK here as well. Long lasting and feel very secure over rough ground. Beside they fit my wide feet. :)

If I need something very waterproof then I am in my waders. They keep the tiger leeches out.

I can agree that boots that feel like your wearing slippers are great hey? I have had a pair of redbacks and its good that they suit your needs however i was once a apprentice at a very young age and had a pair of theese as i was young and didn't have a car i would walk to work 12km a day 6 too 6 from and honestly. the redbacks i had the soles lasted maybe 3 months walking that distance. i will recomend steel blue lace ups you can get them off ebay cheaper i think anyway i have had my pair 5 years and still going strong my opinion is yes they also feel like slippers and i have fallen asleep wearing them a few times so so very comfy theese boots are almost ready for the bin but they have survived my dog chewing them heavy weight being on them the rubber soles melting from stepping on chunks of white hot metal being stepped on and going through the washing machine numerus times they're not waterproof but i will say they have been soaked motorbike riding many thimes and the leather is still great because i do allot of gardening (kneeling) the steel caps are showing the new models overcome this by having the ugly rubber bit over the toes and i think you can now get the plastic type caps inside in case you do international travel and such u can get through metal detectors easier wich is probably a good thing to stop false readings from your own detectors sorry about my huge post cheers guys

I tried redback & my wide feet didn't like them I like the mongrel felt much better on my feet and didn't need braking in, as the others have said felt like slipper's from first day.

Being a constant steel cap boot wearer, I own several pairs and have little else except a pair of Volley sandshoes I use when up on the roof. The latter shoes still have some metal eyelets, and with little heel, are not real comfortable. I live near a Rivers Discount Store and maybe able to pick up a pair of joggers there.

What do you guys/gals wear, that do not interfere with the detector?

I wear these both for non metallic and tall for snake bite protection.

http://www.lodworkwear.com.au/oliver-lace-up-200mm-boot..html
OLIVER-45-665C.png

I use Olivers as well but the non Lace up version. Ran Red backs before but found the All terrain Olivers much sturdier and more comfortable.

Laceup Oliver AT's for me, guaranteed metal free. Bought my 3rd pair last month $146.

Previously I used Steel Blue boots with non-metallic toe caps, lightweight and very comfortable, but most will still have metal lace loops. Probably the only brand of boot I have worn over the years in the exploration/mining industry that has fitted perfectly first time, everytime.

I now mainly wear good quality hiking boots, from manufacturers like Keen, which are specifically made for doing lots of walking. They are water resistant, have breathable Goretex material in sections, and absolutely no metal parts. I believe if you spend a lot of money on detectors, then it is justifiable to invest in some decent footwear, last thing you need is ill fitting footwear, blisters and foot rot. As for snakes, I think most of them would have great difficulty working their fangs through a decent set of leather/suede boots. :)

I just bought a pair of the Olivers too, worn the AT's at work for the last 3-4 years, been using Redbacks and very happy but I was concerned about the lack of protection with the elastic sides with snake bite, with gaiters it was still a potential strike point, the lace ups give great support and helps avoid rolling ankles.
Wore them for the first time the other day for approx. 6 hours and feet weren't even sore, not bad for a brand new boot.

Got mine from Boots4all on Ebay, $125 delivered express post
Oliver Work Boots 45632C

I'm a massive Mongrel fan, but they don't have metal free in a lace up. I find lace UPS offer much more support as Banjo has mentioned.

I've been looking at the Olivers, but would prefer them without the toe cap. Was trying to find a good metal free hiker but haven't had much luck. Will have to look into the 'Keen' boots that Goldpick has mentioned.

I bought a pair of slip on boots (non steel cap) from rivers. Nice pair of boots, comfy as, however if you run the detector over them they sound off.
Must have metal in the sole or something. Never mind, they are still a good pair of comfy boots, just need to find something else for detecting.

Latest posts