Boots for Prospecting, Hiking, Detecting information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old Oliver ST's are still going but they are starting to show their age. After nearly 9 years of service I am happy. I like a high cut boot but also hate how loose you need to make the laces to get them on. So I have been looking at side zippered boots. Are there any that use plastic zippers?

Out of the hiking style boots, the most heavy duty I have found are Keens. Not cheap but worth it in the long run in my opinion. Targhee III's are the ones, and I think from memory only the last (top) eyelets are metal.

My old Oliver ST's are still going but they are starting to show their age. After nearly 9 years of service I am happy. I like a high cut boot but also hate how loose you need to make the laces to get them on. So I have been looking at side zippered boots. Are there any that use plastic zippers?

Out of the hiking style boots, the most heavy duty I have found are Keens. Not cheap but worth it in the long run in my opinion. Targhee III's are the ones, and I think from memory only the last (top) eyelets are metal.
My Oliver AT's are completely metal free including the side zipper. Been about 4-5 years since I've purchased them but have heard there's been some quality issues now Oliver have sold to a US company & moved the bulk of manufacturing overseas.

Thanks, good to know you can get non-metal zippers, but I think I'm going to go back to Keen for my next purchase.

Have to agree there Nenad.... these Keens of mine have stood up pretty well so far. I have the Targhee III shoe with no metal at all and the boot which has the top metal lace grabber. No problems with hearing that while swinging.
277C7DA2-2AA0-4803-99E2-E6B2346C6FAD.jpeg9114A0ED-C786-491A-AE30-3206C38D3B58.jpeg

Hi, How are the steel blues going? Wife and I are after a pair of boots each rather than the hiking shoes we've used for a 3 month trip. All the boots I've looked up on www.productreview.com.au before buying have bad reviews recently after the manufacture has been moved overseas. Planning on a WA trip next year so thought boots might offer better protection. Any recommendations Baz
I also wear a cheap Kmart workman's boot and made sure that there;s extra toe room.The reason being to let the air to circulate and therefore keeps feet from sweating,especially in hot weather.

I have found Redbacks to be great boots, have worn then for months at a time in WA (same pair) both in the southern goldfields and the Pilbara, A good set of gaiters are the go in spinifex country, My Double D Canvas gaiters along with my Redbacks have served me well.

I tried redback & my wide feet didn't like them I like the mongrel felt much better on my feet and didn't need braking in, as the others have said felt like slipper's from first day.
I have lace up mongrel just took out eyelets really good for all day runs

Have to agree there Nenad.... these Keens of mine have stood up pretty well so far. I have the Targhee III shoe with no metal at all and the boot which has the top metal lace grabber. No problems with hearing that while swinging.
View attachment 13139View attachment 13138

After my Keens came apart at the seams I replaced them with another pair that let me down badly. Again they came apart at the seams so I went to Perth in search of something better. I wanted light weight boots because I'm light weight and get tired feet after scrambling over a few kilometres of rocky country. After spending hours in the camping and shoe shops with my ProPointer I came across a nice pair of CAT boots but they had metal islets so I went back and grabbed the Keens. These ones have the rubber flex behind the toes that has cracked up and the sides split again. This time I dropped into the shoe repair booth in Dianella shopping centre and he sowed up both the Keens and Mrs M's the old elastic sided boots. They've lasted through the summer with better stitching but I get dirt coming down through the rubber flex forward of the laces.

I've had at least four pair of Keens, the first were very good and robust, the rest have failed long before any decent boot should. Next time I'll definitely be buying something better. Even the soles on the last three have delaminated. My first were like the above photo.

1524746636_boots.jpg

I think these were the second ones.

Latest posts