best phone for detecting?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MB - I think that's because Google maps depends on network access to see the map at your location, unless you pre-download the maps. I can confirm that the GPS in an I-phone works even in Airplane mode, and it works just fine when there is no network access. I once tracked my plane in Memory Maps on a flight to Brisbane, and it was interesting to see the speed reported as over 900 KM/H! It was interesting to see the landscape below and check out the map on the phone screen.\

Google Maps relies on a data connection to work so is pretty much useless unless you download a map area for use in the Offline Map section. It's still pretty limited even then.

I use Android phone + tablet & there is a heap of good maps available that work offline without any need for network/data connection.
Some I use are Hema Explorer, Avenza maps, Australia Topo Maps.
Depending on your device the inbuilt GPS can be just as good as some standalone GPS units.
I don't wander around with the GPS constantly on & when carrying my phone have it in flight mode so running the battery down isn't an issue. I only ever use it to check I'm heading the right way in or out of unfamiliar areas or to mark a spot.

GPS only works on an iPhone in Airplane mode using iOS 8.3 and later.
Before that, GPS would be disabled in Airpane mode, so if you have an older iPhone you may want to update the iOS.

Sorry about my English ive only got a couple of minutes between job that i do, and where i live there no reception ps it be the last that u here from me on this forum sorry wishfull

I must have missed something, but then I'm usually the last to find out.

But whatever it was it aint worth leaving the forum for Flatlander, so come on mate, hang around a bit longer.

mbasko said:
Google Maps relies on a data connection to work so is pretty much useless unless you download a map area for use in the Offline Map section. It's still pretty limited even then.

I use Android phone + tablet & there is a heap of good maps available that work offline without any need for network/data connection.
Some I use are Hema Explorer, Avenza maps, Australia Topo Maps.
Depending on your device the inbuilt GPS can be just as good as some standalone GPS units.
I don't wander around with the GPS constantly on & when carrying my phone have it in flight mode so running the battery down isn't an issue. I only ever use it to check I'm heading the right way in or out of unfamiliar areas or to mark a spot.

thanks downloaded the free australia topo map app, looks good and a lot cheaper than a hand held gps even if I do eventually download the pro version.

Latest posts