best phone for detecting?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what mapping you want to do.
I use an iPhone and run HandyGPS app which costs under $5 and is brilliant. I print off maps in Geovic from which I determine spots I want to go to and then put the coordinates in to HandyGPS. Very easy and low cost.
However I recently bought Oziexplorer but cant run it on the iPhone. New this before I got it. Run Ozie on a separate tablet. Ozie will however run on Android.
Cheers

I also have an iPhone like Dig'n-it Good to find a GPS coordinate, like where you left your car.
I also run Avenza PDF Maps, which is a moving map application. I georeference a GeoVic map of an area of interest.
The tracks are surprisingly accurate, and are generally shown in way better detail than Hema.

thanks for the responses guys/girls, so 1 vote for garmin gps & 3 votes for iphone, no one likes android phones??

I run Samsung tab a geovic ,wa geo nsw maps ,google maps take a screen shot, looking at happy prospecting app , got hema vms nav units ,gps in car 1 on 4 wheeler, carry 1, but all i do take sceen shoot with the info( lon and lat) tracks etc ,Diggings etc, and way u go with gps, im getting a wireless printer hope fri so i print 4 a library 4 history

7.62marksman said:
i must be old school
i run a VMS in the turtle to get me there
step out and get my old paper map pencil compass and protractor
havent had flat batteries yet or dropped it and broke the screen
so i will stay old school its more fun

And the best thing is you dont need to run an update before it starts. Or loss of gps signal.

1520238132_0000d18767c977cdfd1d42122b1bfad6.jpg

I've not used a GPS app on the iphone but if you're out of telephone range it fails to find itself on google maps so I don't know if that's because it can't find Google or the phone's GPS isn't up to scratch? We use Garmin etrax 20 and Garmin Oregon hand held GPSs and a Hema HN7 in the vehicle.

Latest posts