Best detector for creeks?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m wondering if anyone is able to give me some advice on what they consider to be the best detector for gold in creeks, creek beds and gullies?

Regards Mitch

Your best option for bedrock is a small coil, other condition may require different coils

Mitch, it's like geof_junk says, if the area you're detecting is narrow and tight then a small coil may be the best option however if you have deep gravel then you may opt for a large coil that will detect deeper.
As for the detector, it will most likely be the same as you'd use anywhere else. When looking for a gold detector you will usually get the best results with the most expensive one you can afford. People have success with the Gold Monster but it will never compare with a GPX6000 or GPZ7000 although you might chose the smaller detector if you don't get to use it on a regular basis.

Thanks for your response… I currently have an equinox 900. I have had some success with it but I was wondering how much better the GPX 5000 or the SDC 2300 was at getting small targets in crevices along a creek bed compared with my current machine.
Regards Mitch

Thanks for your response… I currently have an equinox 900. I have had some success with it but I was wondering how much better the GPX 5000 or the SDC 2300 was at getting small targets in crevices along a creek bed compared with my current machine.
Regards Mitch

Every circumstance is different but I own both an SDC2300 and a GPX4500 as well as an Equinox 800. I don't even consider the 800 when I'm looking for gold. Both dedicated gold machines are far superior when it comes to seeking gold.

Mitch, I use the goldmaster 24k, it's better than the monster 1000. The 24k eliminates hot rock and has a frequency of 48khz

Attachments

• IMG_20240126_094352.jpg
    IMG_20240126_094352.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
It will depend on how junky and how mineralised the creek is.

High junk low mineralisation, a VLF will probably out perform a PI. -but only because you get sick of digging trash with the PI.

On side by side testing of same undug target in multiple shallow ground creeks in QLD the 6000 found +20x the targets the VLF did....but then we had to dig them all :(. We still ended up with way more gold than the VLF

And the x20 diff in targets is not all junk since all VLFs will call gold as iron once it gets small/deep enough. Once the creek is mineralised enough the VLF wont detect much that is more than a couple of inches down and it will be falsing on hot rocks even when iron discrimination is turned on. So you try and avoid digging iron but end up digging hot rocks instead.

You can always find a single target or a small area of ground that is an exception but bottom line is that in 90% of Oz, including streams, it is exactly as Moneybox says ....

A PI with a small coil will find you more gold than any VLF, and not 20% more but 20x more.

Last edited:

Latest posts