Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct. President of the United States for one term. A hard man, associated with many mines in Australia, Russia, China, Nevada - much in his 20s. He and his wife translated the famous book re de Metallica. He would eat Gina and Clive for breakfast. His poem to the barmaid can be seen in the foyer of the Palace Hotel, Kalgoorlie, together with a cartoon of him from the time and a sideboard that he had made in America and shipped to the hotel as a present. His Leonora house can be visited right on the edge of the Sons of Gwalior open pit in Leonora.

Herbert Hoover employed southern European miners at the Sons of Gwalia mine. Hoover said they worked harder for less money and conditions of employment. He recruited a number of Italian workers whom he regarded as his allies against the unions: "I have a bunch of Italians coming up ... and will put them in the mine on contract work. If they are satisfactory, I will secure enough of them to hold the property in case of a general strike and ... will reduce wages." This caused strong resentment among the union miners, and this erupted in riots when Ted Jordan was killed.

Over to you....

I arrived in Australia sometime during the 1860's turning up on the Denison Town diggings in late 1864 to join the gold rush.
My time as a gold miner was short lived before turning to another "trade" in early 1865.
It was in this "trade" I gained infamy mainly for two reasons but also my overall actions. It was another short lived career

mbasko said:
I arrived in Australia sometime during the 1860's turning up on the Denison Town diggings in late 1864 to join the gold rush.
My time as a gold miner was short lived before turning to another "trade" in early 1865.
It was in this "trade" I gained infamy mainly for two reasons but also my overall actions. It was another short lived career

????????????

You've lost me? I did answer correctly first so it was my turn?
Herbert Hooper 5mins before you.
If it means that much to you then take the turn. Frankly it means nothing to me. Just killing time here not playing for sheep stations (although they aren't worth much at the moment).....

Seems to be some confusion here.
Someone else can take over to restart things afresh - xcvator? I'll stay out. :Y:

Rockhunter62 - It was the bushranger Sam Poo, turned up late 1864 at the Talbragar (Denison Town) diggings.
Not pleased with the slim pickings on the goldfields he turned to being a bushranger sometime in early 1865 - or that's when other miners noticed him missing.

His infamy came firstly from being a bushranger holding miners & others up on the Mudgee Rd but the main reasons were that he was reportedly Australias only Chinese bushranger & that on 3rd February 1865 at Barneys Reef he shot mounted trooper Senior Constable John Ward who later died from the wound.

Sam Poo was shot around 2 weeks later (Feb 1865) in another encounter with troopers. He was treated at Mudgee Hospital & lived.

After being transported to Bathurst Gaol he was found guilty of Trooper Wards murder. Sam Poo was hanged at Bathurst Gaol on 19th December 1865.

A very short career as a gold miner followed by a very short career as a bushranger.

mbasko said:
Seems to be some confusion here.
Someone else can take over to restart things afresh - xcvator? I'll stay out. :Y:

Rockhunter62 - It was the bushranger Sam Poo, turned up late 1864 at the Talbragar (Denison Town) diggings.
Not pleased with the slim pickings on the goldfields he turned to being a bushranger sometime in early 1865 - or that's when other miners noticed him missing.

His infamy came firstly from being a bushranger holding miners & others up on the Mudgee Rd but the main reasons were that he was reportedly Australias only Chinese bushranger & that on 3rd February 1865 at Barneys Reef he shot mounted trooper Senior Constable John Ward who later died from the wound.

Sam Poo was shot around 2 weeks later (Feb 1865) in another encounter with troopers. He was treated at Mudgee Hospital & lived.

After being transported to Bathurst Gaol he was found guilty of Trooper Wards murder. Sam Poo was hanged at Bathurst Gaol on 19th December 1865.

A very short career as a gold miner followed by a very short career as a bushranger.

So whos turn is it or we refresh it from here

If everyone agrees. The last one ended without a clear understanding who is next. So here it is

I was the most common thing on the gold fields. And been a favourite of most Aussie since

Latest posts