Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ward69 said:
goldierocks said:
Mrs Kennedy and Mrs Farrell, on the Ravenswood sheep run (Bendigo Creek)?
Getting close. But no
Confused - Bendigo was the largest goldfield in Victoria. So you are referring to a specific orebody (reef) not a goldfield?

It was claim to riches alluvial gold field in the world at its time Who discover it and what station. Your close

Ah alluvial - Ballarat was discovered the same year although only half Bendigo's gold production, it had more alluvial gold. I guess that would have been Yuiles station. John Dunlop and James Regan discovered gold at Poverty Point, although Hiscock found it shortly before to the south at Buninyong.

i.e. Bendigo produced 950 tonnes gold, Ballarat 465 tonnes. But only 150 tonnes at Bendigo was alluvial while more than 400 tonnes at Ballarat was alluvial. Poverty Point was on Canadian Creek (now named Golden Point).

Your first guess is closer to the area of the station. I used to supervise convicts, it was claimed to be the riches shallow alluvial goldfield in the world. Who am I and what station do I work on.

Ward69 said:
Your first guess is closer to the area of the station. I used to supervise convicts, it was claimed to be the riches shallow alluvial goldfield in the world. Who am I and what station do I work on.
Probably need another clue - so many Victorian goldfields were called the richest in the world as they were discovered (Ballarat and Bendigo were the only ones that actually fell into that league). Beechworth was next largest, Stawell was probably next (a few hundred tonnes), then Castlemaine (150 tonnes). It (Mt Alexander diggings) was discovered by Christopher Thomas Peters on Barker's Creek on Dr William Barker's Mt Alexander run.

goldierocks said:
Ward69 said:
Probably need another clue - so many Victorian goldfields were called the richest in the world as they were discovered (Ballarat and Bendigo were the only ones that actually fell into that league). Beechworth was next largest, Stawell was probably next (a few hundred tonnes), then Castlemaine (150 tonnes). It (Mt Alexander diggings) was discovered by Christopher Thomas Peters on Barker's Creek on Dr William Barker's Mt Alexander run.

Got it in the last sentence, Thomas Peters was a hut-keeper on Barkers station found specs of gold in now known as Specimen Gully in Castlemaine in July 1851. Wasnt reported until September 1851 , it was reported at the time the riches shallow alluvial goldfield in the world.

All yours Goldierocks

Close. Question was who was the cause, not where, and I suppose it is a bit debateable about who caused it, but it relates to the person who was the ultimate cause, not the event that was the trigger for the long-held resentment - but here is another clue to narrow it down. I translated a middle ages metallurgical and mining book into English with my wife.