Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was the Canberra air disaster.

The 1940 Canberra air disaster was an aircraft crash that occurred near Canberra, the capital of Australia, on 13 August 1940, during World War II. All ten people on board were killed: six passengers, including three members of the Australian Cabinet and the Chief of the General Staff; and four crew. The aircraft is believed to have stalled on its landing approach, when it was too low to recover.

The deaths of the three cabinet ministers severely weakened the United Australia Party government of Robert Menzies and contributed to its fall in 1941.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Canberra_air_disaster

I think we have had a question on this, as well as the Avro crash, some years ago!

That's it,well done Dr D, It 's becoming difficult to find something that hasn't been done now :8
Over to you :)

Lets keep on the theme for this question. Probably an easy one, as I have not checked my clue for Google proofness.

Also in the 1940's this air disaster occurred near a well known gold field.

backcreek said:
Nugget,
Your absolutely correct.
How did you pull that one out of the hat, I felt sure it would stump everyone.
Have you read Roughing it? It's about his journey across America by stage coach to the west coast to try his hand at prospecting. It has a good description of the Comstock Load in Nevada. Interesting read.
At the moment I'm looking for a copy of The Wayward Tourist, his accounts of his trip to Australia in 1897.
Did you know he also wrote lots of articles for Aussie newspapers as well?
Anyway you got it so it's your turn.

Cheers
Mick

I've actually got a desiption of the gold "indicators" at Ballarat that he wrote on a visit there

1478734449_herb.jpg

Is it OK to join in here? Do you know this guy? He was a mine manager, councillor of an Australian town. One mine he was involved with briefly was part of the Berry deep lead gold system at Creswick. Caused a race riot indirectly.

I was born in Sydney and raised in Newtown.
I joined the Australian defence forces but,
I did defend myself in sports to the best degree you could obtain.
I KO'd one of the best world sportsman in my class.
Who am I. ?

the duck said:
The interesting things is the word largest the welcome stranger is the heaviest single nugget but the holterman nugget is the biggest in size but it was a specie
The Holtermann Nugget, the largest specimen of gold ever found, 1.5 meters (59 inches) long, weighing 286 kg (630 pounds), in Hill End, near Bathurst,[1] and with an estimated gold content of 5000 ounces (57 kg).[3] A larger find was made by the same men, but was broken up soon after being brought to the surface without being photographed.

Lots of mythology re nuggets and "specimens" - similar size nuggets to the Welcome Stranger in Siberia and California. Welcome Stranger had 52 lb of quartz cobbed off it, so when is a specimen not a specimen (that is a big lump of quartz). Yeah - I think the mine manager wasn't there for the photo and had himself added to the nugget photo later. I think Houltermans was actually a layer less than 5 inches thick.

goldierocks said:
Sorry. No time to play. It was just an example that intrigued me and I thought might intrigue you.

Meant to tell you who it was though - Herbert Hoover, later president of the USA (picture on display in the Palace Hotel, Kalgoorlie, where he was having it off with a barmaid - a poem he also wrote to her is on the wall - a mirror sideboard that he had made for the hotel and sent to them in Kalgoorlie), He was mine manager at Cue (and a councillor) and elsewhere in WA and Victoria, and Russia and China. He caused the Kalgoorlie race riots by importing cheap Italian miners to Kalgoorlie. A mate said his Greek grandfather was mistaken for Italian and had to escape into the Kalgoorlie Hotel - the owner/friend came out on the balcony with two revolvers and told the rioters that the first man to try and enter the door was dead. Hoover's wife, like Hoover, was also a geo and they translated Re De Metallica together, a famous Middle Ages book on mining by Agricola. His house is on the edge of the open-cut at Leonora, one of his mines. He also started the Panama canal, I think, built the Hoover dam, and had mines all through Nevada and elsewhere.

Latest posts