Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, that's correct, I did not check that last clue for google proofness, but it is good to keep things moving along. He was a really interesting bloke, Sportsman of the Year for 1911, and excelled in a lot of areas.

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/hardwick-harold-hampton-10424

Would someone else like to suggest a new question, as I too will be tied up for a few days.

It would have to be the Northern Territory, some blokes out pig shooting got it in 2009, not realising what it was. It is thought that the animal escaped from Tipperary Station, whose eccentric former owner had turned it into an exotic wildlife refuge! It was thought that the hippo had been running around the bush for up to 6 years.

http://www.news.com.au/national/pyg...ory-hunting-trip/story-e6frfkvr-1225798038412

eccentric former owner lol love it :lol: .. That's correct DD though the enclosures were fully escape proof so who knows how that all came about and as to why it was shot I would say a lack of identifying your target before firing your weapon.

I remember being gobsmacked when this happened. How can someone that can't tell the difference between a pig and a pygmy hippo be allowed to walk around with a high powered weapon?

Sorry for the delay, but here is one.

I was born in a mining town and dominated my sport for many years, setting many world records, some of which still stand.

Further clues to follow if no-one gets it.

No, GC, not Dawn Frazer, I'm pretty certain none of her records still stand.

There was a coal mine in Balmain, which shut down in 1931 (but produced gas until 1945) but the place I am thinking of is still a major mining town.

Not Herb, again I'm pretty sure that he holds no current world records. His 1500m world record was 3:35.6, and the current one is 3:26.00, so things have moved on, but not as much as I would have thought.

Also Subiaco, a suburb of Perth, is not a mining town. State is correct, though.

Good thinking, GC, but it looks like those are the offices of mining companies and mining supply companies, but I don't think there are any actual mines there. This blokes birthplace is an active mining town.

Some might want to debate whether this bloke's specialty is a sport or a game. If no one chimes in, I'll put another clue up tonight.

Too easy, GT, it was indeed Walter Lindrum.

He was so good a lot of professional players would not play him.

He dominated the sport in Australia from the 1920's till his retirement in 1950, and was world champion between 1933 and 1950. There are not many people that Don Bradman got compared to, but Neville Cardus called Bradman "the Lindrum of cricket."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Lindrum

Over to you.

whats my name?

Legend has it that I kicked to top of a rich gold reef that started a rush.

GT :)

bit of an easy one for cup day !!

I thought that was easy, maybe not, whinny, LOL
There is a statue of me in the town named after me.

only a quick guess again :8 Edward Hammond Hargraves (7 October 1816 29 October 1891) was a gold prospector who claimed to have found gold in Australia in 1851, starting an Australian gold rush.

sorry mate, way off and wrong side of the country. Theres plenty of clues in both posts if you look a little closer.

Latest posts