Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes DrDuck,
I did read that when researching the question but discounted it as it was only a one off indecent, the offenders were unknown and never caught.

I also put the story down to sensationalistic journalism as the same incident was reported on the 1 June, 1874 in the Sydney Morning Herald, page 3 as follows

MUDGEE

Yesterday the mail coach to Sydney was stopped at
Aarons Passby two disguised armed men. Half a
dozen passengers were robbed of jewellery , but it is
supposed not much cash. The mail-bags, after being
ransacked were recovered in the bush. Sub-inspector
Medley promptly dispatched police in pursiut, under
sergeant Webb

There were 1 or 2 incidents like this during that time period but nothing like it had been prior to 1872

Bob

Sorry about the question folks, I realised that it was a geography question instead of a history question so I will give a historical clue. :8

Harold did cross me before he stumbled across his legendary reef.

Cheers folks

Doug

B5MECH, SORRY ABOUT THE LAST POST, did not notice new page. You are absolutely correct. The ball is now in your court. Folks, if I ever manage to get another one right I will endeavor to post an Australian history question. All yours B5MECH. :)

Cheers

Doug

Sweet thanks :eek: This is my first shot so I hope it's not too easy!
What am I and my name? I was launched in 1905, I was used in WW1 not necessarily for war, In WW2 I was used by the RAAF, Today 100,000+ people a year drive by me not necessarily to visit me.

The SS Maheno was launched in 1905 and used as a hospital ship in ww1. In 1935 while under tow ran aground on Fraser Island due to the tow cable breaking because of a cyclone. She was left ther and later used by the RAAF as a bombing target in ww2. :D

Doug

Well done Rockhunter, the SS MAHENO is listed as a site of UXO but they haven't fenced it off, makes you wonder :| Over to you

Thank you B5MECH, maybe I should go down there and clear away the uxo but it would probably need the navy to do the job as it lays below the high tide mark.

I will have to do some research before posting a question but it will be here before I call it quits tonight.

Doug

Latest posts