Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greencheeks has it. :D

On the 5th of July 1812 the first dictionary ever compiled in Australia was presented to the Commandant of Newcastle (NSW) by one of the prisoners under his chargeJames Hardy Vaux, a petty criminal. At this time Newcastle was a secondary penal settlement for more hardened and inveterate prisoners. This was Vauxs second period of transportation to Australia for thefthe was sentenced to twelve months hard labour for receiving stolen goods in Sydney.

In his preface to A New And Comprehensive Vocabulary of the Flash Language Vaux mentions the reason for compiling the dictionary: I trust the Vocabulary will afford you some amusement from its novelty; and that from the correctness of its definitions, you may occasionally find it useful in your magisterial capacity. The flash language in the title of this work refers to the language of the underclasses in British societythe criminals, beggars, and vagabonds who were Vauxs peers in London. What makes this work stand out from similar flash glossaries and dictionaries published in this period is that it is written from personal experience.

The 700-odd words in this dictionary provide an insight into the language used by convicts in the early years of British settlement in Australia. Many of the terms are those of the London criminal classes including body-snatcher a stealer of dead bodies from churchyards, stick a pistol, pall a partner, companion, associate, or accomplice. The dictionary also provides us with evidence for British words in transition, such as swag. The word swag was synonymous with booty in other dictionaries of the time. Vaux records this established meaning, but adds a new one: A swag of any thing, signifies emphatically a great deal. In Australian English this is a familiar sense in contexts like Australia won a swag of medals.

While the dictionary was presented to the Newcastle Commandant in 1812 it was not until 1819 that it was published in London with Vauxs Memoirs. Vaux was later sentenced to a third period of transportation to Australia and after his release in 1841 he disappears from the historical record.

This question is about the 20th light horse 1939 A reference from Charles Nicholas

Question :In 1939 at the Torquay camp a tragic accident took place that resulted in a lot (Dozens) of horses having to be destroyed it was said to have started in the 13th regiment line (A Gippsland regiment ) What started the accident and why were the horses destroyed ?

Sorry everyone after searching online there would appear to be 2 conflicting answers that could be given for this question so I will reveal the 2 incidents and make an easier question The answer I had in mind is from a book written by Charles Nicholas " Happenings of a lifetime in the Riverina " or " Memories from Memory" and pretty much hundreds of horse were frightened into a stampede with their nose bags on full of chaff and they sucked the chaff into their lungs leaving many to needing to be destroyed he said it was a cruel experience which I never hope to see again.

And the other story is in this link https://torquayhistory.com/light-horse-brigade/ so sorry about that :lol:

Here is an easier question Who lit the flame at the 2000 olympics opening ceremony :eek:

Thanks Rod
Whilst a prisoner of war during WW2 I wrote a manuscript detailing the goings on in the camps. I was able to keep it hidden from the guards during my years in the prison camps. After the war I turned the manuscript into a successful book that detailed one particular event.

My book became a huge success and was turned into a major movie.

Who am I ? and What was the title of the book / movie

Latest posts