Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry Bob. I keep forgetting about this topic. Seeing as you are offline I'll pop a question up.

Name the ship that has recently disappeared from the Newcastle area after a LONG stay. ;)

Jamie got in first with the MV Sygna.

Washed onto Stockton beach in a storm in 1974. She broke in 2 and the bow half was re floated and towed away but the rear section remained a local landmark, fishing and surfing spot until the storms of last week when the sea finally claimed her.

The 2nd and 3rd images are how she has looked for the 30 or so years I've lived in the area. Year by year becoming smaller as pieces broke away in big seas.

1466061808_images_4.jpg

1466061821_images_6.jpg

1466061875_images_5.jpg

1466061847_images_10.jpg

ok here goes, maybe a little vague but will give a clue or two if needs be, it is a where am i type question...

Gold was first discovered in the area in 1852, successful sluicing started in 1870 and open cut mining started in 1872 after the "great flood" of 1871, where am i?

We are consider that last of our kind. After the start of the 20th century our lifestyle ceased to exist..

My life was terminated in the early 1900's and my brother died some 40 years latter

Who are we?

Bob, it sounds like Patrick and James Kenniffe, Australia's last bushrangers. Patrick was hung in 1903, and James got his death sentence commuted to 16 years goal, before getting a royal pardon in 1914. I'm pretty sure we have previously had a question about these blokes, just as we did with that question about that paddle steamer and the wool strike.

Well done Dr Duck,
I couldn't find a question about them in the topic but they were referenced in an answer to another question. I think that we are getting close to a stage where old anwsers will have to be recycled with new and more cryptic questions asked.

Over to you

Cheers

Bob

Latest posts