Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought it might be the first double dissolution election, which would be a topical question, but that is not specific to Sydney.

Sydney did have an earthquake, but that would not have been a first for the nation.

Have to think!

This event happened in the early-mid 1800's.

A trial took place for a very serious crime, and it was the first time for an outcome like this.

Ill have a guess without looking for clues too.
Was is the cattle rustling case after a drove from North to Adelaide in SA and they were all found not guilty? Bizarre outcome if I remember correctly.

GT :)

DrDuck, you got it.

On 10 June 1838 a group of white settlers murdered 28 Aboriginal men, women and children near Myall Creek Station in northern New South Wales, near Bingara. Seven of the killers were tried and hanged.

On 18 December 1838 the seven stockmen were hanged. For the first time in Australian history white men were punished for murder of Aboriginal people

Source: http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/history/myall-creek-massacre-1838

However, I just did some more reading, and it turns out that it may not have been the first time that white Europeans had been sentenced for killing indigenous Australians:

The Myall Creek massacre has been claimed to be the first and only time in Australia's history that Europeans were executed for the massacre of Australian Aborigines.[11] However, recent research has shown that Europeans had been executed for the murder of Aboriginal people on at least one occasion prior to Myall Creek.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myall_Creek_massacre

OK, here is an easy one, as I'm under the gun at the moment.

The bloke who was the subject of my last question, the self proclaimed king of Iceland, visited the Colony of NSW in its early days and appears to have been tied up in an incident involving an Aboriginal who was thought to be immune to settlers firearms. Who was he and what was the incident?

Sorry for the delay in giving up a clue, I was working in Sydney and had a full weekend.

Anyway, the Aboriginal bloke I am thinking of was the scourge of the early colony, and was wanted, dead or alive.

Born on nov 16 1948 and migrated to Australia at age of 7 where he grew up to become one of Australians most famous icons he is a qualified brick layer and an accomplished film director. who am I ?

She was a head turner wasn't she :p

a little in the dark as to whether that's the right answer or not ..... I'll take it that is is and give yas an easy one .....

This is not the only time they've tried - and in 1933, 68% of the states population wanted this. But because the British Parliament couldn't make up their mind, it never happened! What state was it and what did they want?

Latest posts