Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two sons traveled overland to this settlement, a trip that resulted in over 200 Aboriginal deaths. Both sons were elected as Fellows of The Royal Geographical Society for their efforts.

That would be it Bob, well worth a visit if you ever make it to the top. Just around the corner there is a spot called Fly Point that is a must try spot if you are into fishing, anything from a Coral Trout to a Sailfish is possible there, right from the rocks.

This event occurred in 1978 and remains unsolved to this day.

It was , and still is, one of the largest of its kind in the country

What was is?

Where did it occur?

The name of the group thought to have orchestrated it?

Thanks B. Bob..."Take care of the rest of your Fenians,or the Yankees will steal them away!". are words of a traditional song commemorating what event in Australian history?. :p

yeah mate The USS. Catalpa was anchored off Freemantle and a ships boat was rowed to a pre arranged pickup of several Irish political prisoners. A gunboat was dispatched to retrieve them but to do that they would have had to fire on the Catalpa.To do that would have caused an international incident that the gunboats Captain was not prepared to involve himself. The Fenians(Irish political group)now transmorphed as Sinne Fein, sought and were were granted asylum in the US.WELL PICKED UP GT...over to you ;)

Thanks Reefer

Who am I

I was a fictional Australian super sleuth. I solved many a crime when others failed.

GT :)

That's a vague set of clues, GT, and could fit a whole lot of characters. But I'll have a first guess at Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, the part Aboriginal detective who was the hero in 29 Arthur Upfield novels from 1929-1964, and later the TV series Boney (1971-2), starring James Laurenson in the lead role.

Yep Boney it is doc .
no more clues without it being more obvious. It was easy as it was.
Next time I will give you a challenge as I am on the road from brissy to Bendigo

GT :)

I visited NSW in the very early days of the colony in an official capacity, and came back to Australia as a convict after a series of fantastic adventures overseas, including being a spy, gambler, leading a coup and being a ruler for a while. I was an explorer and police officer, and eventually died a drunk.

This was a very interesting bloke, and you could not make up his adventures.

Latest posts